Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why is magnesium supposed to be taken with calcium?

I'm hearing conflicting pieces of advice. One side says magnesium must always be taken with calcium. Another side says not a good idea because magnesium inhibits calcium absorption.

So which is right? Or why take calcium with it if the magnesium is going to block it's absorption?

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why is magnesium supposed to be taken with calcium?

I don't take calcium as a supplement but I do take magnesium. There is adequate calcium in my diet but magnesium is harder to get. I am concerned that supplementing with calcium can cause heart disease and inflammation, and I try for a 1:1 ratio from food and supplements. I do tend to take my magnesium away from calcium foods.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I don't supplement with calcium either. I think my diet is adequate.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 02:02 AM   #5
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Interesting. I'm following. I always thought that you take the calcium with the magnesium because your body needs the calcium to properly absorb the magnesium. So for me, I saw the calcium more as an aid to absorb magnesium than the value of the actual calcium itself.

But I really need to think this through.

If you're confident that you are getting enough calcium from food do you just take a mag supplement alone?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
melissa5317 (05-18-2016), Psyche (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 02:35 AM   #6
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they need to be taken together. But if you are supplementing with calcium it is more effective when combined with vit D as one helps you absorb the other.
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 05:59 AM   #7
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
If you're confident that you are getting enough calcium from food do you just take a mag supplement alone?
I do.

It's my understanding that magnesium helps direct calcium to your bones, which is of course where you want it. You don't want it in your soft tissues.

I eat greens that are good sources of calcium as well as seeds and nuts, with some cheese and occasional yogurt. It's not hard for me to get calcium at all.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (04-22-2016), Psyche (04-22-2016), tempus vernum (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #8
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

Ask Alison.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-22-2016), Tasmanian Saint (05-01-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #9
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

https://chriskresser.com/calcium-sup...d-think-twice/
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (04-22-2016), tempus vernum (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #10
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies View Post
I do.

It's my understanding that magnesium helps direct calcium to your bones, which is of course where you want it. You don't want it in your soft tissues.

I eat greens that are good sources of calcium as well as seeds and nuts, with some cheese and occasional yogurt. It's not hard for me to get calcium at all.
if u have the urge to pee a lot after taking magnesium it's because you have an over abundance of calcium to flush out.

It's my understanding "most" people get enough calcium and not enough magnesium. We supplement only w magnesium as I'm confident in our calcium intake. Another related issue related is D3 which is helpful as well in rocked sing calcium.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Wow. Those statistics are shocking. I'm never taking calcium again.

I currently take magnesium and not calcium but, up until now, it wasn't an intentional avoidance of calcium supplementation.

If I take a bath in Epsom salt I don't take a magnesium supplement. I figure that's a better source anyway since it's more natural. I haven't read anything comparing the two though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-22-2016), tempus vernum (04-22-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #12
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

So I am wondering about this with my 13 yo dd. We have recently eliminated all gluten and dairy from her diet due to health issues. She eats a very healthy diet but of course, not as rich in vegetables as I would want, or as my diet is... I read somewhere that if you do no dairy, you should do a calcium supplement so I've had her on a cal/mag supplement...

Now I'm wondering....

Thoughts?

And if you do mag only, what brand/type do you use?
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

I use the vitamin shoppe equivalent of natural calm. It just doesn't have calcium. I'm really at a loss on the calcium thing.

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Psyche For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (04-30-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #15
deena
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
So I am wondering about this with my 13 yo dd. We have recently eliminated all gluten and dairy from her diet due to health issues. She eats a very healthy diet but of course, not as rich in vegetables as I would want, or as my diet is... I read somewhere that if you do no dairy, you should do a calcium supplement so I've had her on a cal/mag supplement...

Now I'm wondering....

Thoughts?

And if you do mag only, what brand/type do you use?
That advice probably stems from the theory that we get our calcium needs met through dairy, which has ben proven to be untrue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (05-02-2016), melissa5317 (05-18-2016)