Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:45 AM   #76
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Home-keeping Schedules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBear
Count me in with those that are
Yep, me too......

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #77
akmyilee

Default Re: Home-keeping Schedules

Everyday chores

Pick up living room
Pick up TV room
Load dishwasher
Unload dishwasher
Feed and water the cat
Take out trash

Weekly chores

Monday
Vacuum upstairs
Take out ALL trash
Feed fish – change water

Tuesday
Laundry
Clean out cat box

Wednesday
Clean bathrooms
Change sheets (1/3 week)
Sweep downstairs (2/4 week)
Water plants

Thursday
Clean playroom
Wash sheets/towels/diapers

Friday
Sweep kitchen
Wipe down kitchen cabinets
Clean out fridge

This is my lastest version...........I made a whole chore system, with cards and pockets and tons of stuff I plan to us when I have more / older kids. right now I am just in maintence mode though as I am in my 1st trimester and my husband is working 60+ hours a week. It is a season though, right?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #78
Mamatoto
Deactivated

Mamatoto is on a distinguished road

Since I haven't posted since March...

We've sort of fallen into this routine where I do clean every day but I also don't schedule my cleaning for each day before the beginning of the week. I've begun to use my Sunday evenings to sit down and write out my homeschooling goals for the week as well as my housecleaning goals depending on what really needs done. So it could look like this:

Monday:
Clean off fridge and microwave
Clean bathroom

Tuesday:
Kitchen floors
Vacuum kid's rooms

It's a very ecclectic list but I'm quite an ecclectic person so it helps me to be organized while allowing creativity to bloom. The next week could be completely different. The basics like washing dishes, laundry, and vacuuming downstairs happen during our morning rhythm before and after homeschooling times. The kids are always in and out helping me...they love to help vacuum and clean the bathroom especially. I try to get things done in the morning after breakfast so it's over with and that feels good for the rest of the day. I am such a pile person...like my great grandparents...but I think some creative bookish mess isn't a bad thing...I try to tackle one at a time and go through piles while watching TV in the evenings. I remember Elizabeth George saying that it's good to be busy in front of the TV...whether it is doing your nails or cleaning a drawer and I have found this helpful.
Mamatoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:30 AM   #79
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing the Motivated Moms thing, but I had to rework the daily chores. Mine are now labelled Daily Blessings, and this is what I do daily, starting as soon as people are up and moving about in the morning, stopping only as other things need my attention (or I feel like sitting down).

Brush baby teeth (x2)
Read to children
Enjoy floor time with children
Give and take vitamins (x2)
Change over dishwasher
Clean kitchen sink
Clear and wipe kitchen counters
Sweep kitchen
Empty trash
Wipe out bathroom sink
Check cat bowls
Make bed (usually only after nap)
Do laundry
Exercise (supposedly)
Prepare dinner (I ought to add one for breakfast, lunch, and snack, because I have forgotten those before.)
Read Scripture (doing a 365 thing right now)
Lay out tomorrow's clothing (at least for the children, when I need the car the next day and have to drive Josh in to work, or we won't make it.)

Doing all of this everyday means that on Saturday and Sunday, I do just about nothing. And Josh was able to invite somebody over, without us having any panic, hiding stuff behind closed doors, or yelling at each other. There's more stuff to be done everyday, and it's planned out in the MM schedule so that I just do a handful of other things each day, and keep a decluttered, functional home. Clearly, my children are small and not doing any homeschooling yet.

I like this MM plan, because then I don't spend all day wandering around trying to remember what I've already done, what I'm in the middle of doing, what I meant to do, and whether or not something is important or dirty enough to need doing. I was always remembering things too late, forgetting too many important things, and wasting time on stuff that didn't need doing.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #80
blessedmama

Here's what we normally do...

All kids before breakfast:
Make beds
Fold and put away jammies
(Get dressed)

8yo and 6yo after breakfast:
Feed pets
Personal grooming w/younger "bathroom buddy"
Fold and put away one basketful of laundry each
Breakfast cleanup (whoever's not on supper cleanup)
Do chore for that day (things like empty/take out trash; straighten bookshelves; clean out under bed; scrub bathroom sink; dust living room)

The kids are also expected to keep their rooms and play areas straightened throughout the day. "If you get it out, put it back."

2yo and 4yo after breakfast:
Empty dishwasher (I keep all plates and bowls and silverware in lower cupboards so the kids can easily reach them.)
Personal grooming with older "bathroom buddy"
Fold laundry
Later in the day, these two help me set the table for supper.

My chores:
Monday: Scrub kitchen thoroughly; vacuum porch and living room carpets; clean glass doors
Tuesday: Clean upstairs bathrooms; vacuum kids' bedrooms
Wednesday: Straighten basement family room and play area; clean basement bathroom; clean master bedroom
Thursday: Wet mop floors; vacuum porch and living room carpets; dust
Friday: Straighten decks, carport, yard; vacuum kids' bedrooms

Of course, in addition to the above chores, I'm doing the "unwritten chores," like keeping the laundry going, controlling clutter, dry mopping the floor, returning phone calls and emails, wiping countertops, filling the dishwasher, cooking meals, etc. It's true that a woman's work is never done! Thanks to the book Managers of Their Homes by Teri Maxwell, I've been able to keep up with all of this plus homeschooling and daily exercise. (I'm not nearly as rigidly scheduled as she is, but her book really did help me get into gear in the homekeeping area!)
Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #81
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I need to do a new housekeeping schedule...When I do it I will post it, probably int he next day or so
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #82
liamum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

liamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my schedule for the new home. I am implementing it slowly and building up over time so I am not completely overwhelmed at the beginning:

Daily:

Pick up toys
Dishwasher
Internet/email time
Kitchen sink
Kitchen counter declutter
empty trash, sanitize can
clean tassimo (as needed)
Check TP supply
Check soap supply
de-clutter bath counters
de-clutter living, dining, TV, breakfast rooms
Declutter bedrooms, bonus, laundry rooms
Make beds (change linens as needed)
Dirty clothes in hampers
cook/clean (including bcksplashes)

Weekly:

Sundays Bathrooms + mop + tubs/showers + trash (+ laundry trash); fresh kitchen towels; sweep porches, patio; sweep laundry room floor.
Mondays - Laundry; Vac &Mop all hardwoods/rugs; change bath hand/reg towels;
Tuesday - Groceries, any left over laundry; fresh kitchen towels; dust around upstairs windows
Wednesdays - sewing/mending day; clean out ; change bath hand/reg towels
Thursdays- Laundry (finish rug vac and mop); fresh kitchen towels; dust around windows (living, dining, TV, kitchen, breakfast, front door); dust pics, knick knacks, etc. lower level.
Fridays - Bathrooms + trash (but not floors) + mirrors; rest of laundry; clean kitchen appliances; change bath hand/reg towels; sweep porches, patio

Bi-weekly:

Dust - around bedroom doors upper level
Mop Laundry room
Wipe down washer/dryer

Monthly/yearly:

Ev. 3 months- descale tassimo
Ev. 3 months - wash/fix marks on walls and steps and outside doors (from Duncan)
Dust/clean all light fixtures - 1/mo
Dust all window treatments 1/mo.
Wash windows in/out lower level + master balcony 1/4 mos.
Clean stair railing 1/mo.
Dust porch/balcony/patio fans/light fixtures 1/ 2 mos.
De-clutter dresser 1/3 mos.
Wash upstairs windows 1/4 mos.
Vac books - 2/yr
Shampoo rugs and upholstry 2/yr
Wax wood furniture 2/yr
A/c filters 1/ 3 mos
Donations 1/ 3 mos.
Walls, baseboards, ceilings - 1/4 mos.
Mother to Ardan, Now Held By God

Graceful Leigh Jewelry on Etsy
Faithfully Handmade Jewelry

My art blog

INFJ and also type 3

". . . we only feel the weight of the cross when we try to get out from under it. If we bear it gratefully, we find that it carries us." - Mark Salzman.
liamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:00 AM   #83
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing that, Leigh! DH and I used to have a schedule of that type before we had kids, but we just kind of got out of doing it. I've been wanting to do up a new one.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:21 AM   #84
liamum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

liamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond reputeliamum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
Thanks for sharing that, Leigh! DH and I used to have a schedule of that type before we had kids, but we just kind of got out of doing it. I've been wanting to do up a new one.
Thanks, Maggie I've been doing fairly well with it so far, we'll see how it unfolds over time - I am attempting to be both organized, but flexible about it.
Mother to Ardan, Now Held By God

Graceful Leigh Jewelry on Etsy
Faithfully Handmade Jewelry

My art blog

INFJ and also type 3

". . . we only feel the weight of the cross when we try to get out from under it. If we bear it gratefully, we find that it carries us." - Mark Salzman.
liamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 PM   #85
eve

wow! thanks for sharing the schedules... this is my last week working so... soon i'll be a sahm... the schedules posted here really help.

i don't know if someone has shared this or not, but i found these sites : http://www.homekeeping101.com and http://www.simplehousekeeping.com
Old 03-28-2007, 07:45 AM   #86
momof4beauties

Thanks for posting both of those. When I have time (funny with 4 kiddies) I'll have to check them out more!! Any tips could help me at this point!!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #87
phathui5
Rose Bouquet

Midwife, Mom of Five

phathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to all

I've decided to go back to doing Motivated Moms next week. I paid for the thing, so I should probably use it.
phathui5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #88
PaleBlue

I feel really bad when I see all the nice schedules everyone else has...I'm pregnant and subject to waking up nauseous or not sleeping most of the nights but I'm still that we don't (3 yo DD and myself) keep a regular schedule even of breakfast and waking up or bedtime, much less a housekeeping schedule.

I need to work on this!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #89
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute

one day a week I try to tame a room or set of rooms a different room for each day it goes like this

monday- kitchen, mop floors scrub counters clean fridge

Tuesday- living room, clean off hearth and vacuum

wensday- bedroom and nursery, vacuum bedroom mop nursery wash bedding

Thursday- bathroom, Scrub everything in the room

Friday- office, file, vacuum

Saturday- Dust and sweep cobwebs

in addition everyday i try to

do dishes
one load of laundry
and general pickup of the house.

Thats what it is supposed to be but like most others I am
"Bubba" 3/09
"Princess" 9/11
read about *some content may be sensitive*
my life
My Poetry
I am not the princess in the tower, I have slayed my own dragons. I am the queen of my country leading the way.
If you want me you need to walk beside me not in front of me or behind me.
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #90
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

I am in the process of creating a household notebook, so this is rather timely.

Here is what it looks like:

I divided the house into "zones", and I clean one zone a day for the five days of the week. There are some things that need to get done daily too, however. And then some things can be done on a monthly basis (once a month, the weekly "zones" are slightly more thorough than usual. This is not a tried and true schedule, because I'm not living in the home I planned it for yet, but hopefully it will keep me on top of things, and not be too difficult to keep.

Kitchen/Dining:
Daily: dishes, wipe counters, sweep, wipe chairs
Weekly: clear off counters and clean, mop, deodorize sink/drain, change tablecloth
Monthly: clean stove, fridge, windows

Bathrooms:
Daily: spray shower, wipe faucet
Weekly: clean toilet, tub, sink
Monthly: floors and mirror

Living room:
Daily: clutter pickup
Weekly: vacuum (or as needed)
Monthly: dust, windows

Stairs/Hall: vacuum (as needed)

Bedrooms:
Daily: make bed, put away clothes
Weekly: vacuum, change sheets
Monthly: windows

There are other things, like decluttering and cobwebs and such that will happen with even less frequency (prolly biannually), but that's the gist of it.

Currently, I do all of that stuff in about two days once a month. It gets pretty grungy around here before I'm moved to clean, and then I have problems with bugs and mildew, so I"m hoping to prevent those with this schedule.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote