Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:30 PM   #61
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simplify your life challenge.

I've been doing tons of decluttering, but I've been so busy. I feel so .

Anywoo yesterday I went through all the boys clothes and moved them downstairs. That way I can make their closet in the room upstairs for toys. It's too cluttered up there for my taste.

I took a bunch of their clothes that won't be worn or reused and put them in the garage in my dh rag drawer. He loves that. He will use them and toss them!

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #62
mom2lovelyava

I'm going to do this even though I haven't seen any posts for recently!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #63
GrowingInGrace

I got rid of a lot of stuff in the past month - I even was able to borrow the 14 ft moving truck MIL used to move the rest of her stuff from her old house to the new house. Since we had it from Sat to Mon am, we got rid of a lot of large items we weren't using anymore and sent them over to my mom's garage because she's having a garage sale at the end of April. Whoo-hooo!

Consequently, this past weekend, we were able to tackle the garage. And even though we still have a bit of ways to go to make it really nice (with some new organizer systems), we at least were able to clean it up (sweeping and everything) and do a temporary storage plan - bikes and playthings in this zone, dh's tools in that zone, gardening stuff in a third zone. So we just have to invest in a couple of durable cabinets/shelves, and we'll be good to go.

It's not so embarrassing anymore to open my garage up anymore. And soon it will be even more organized.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #64
Linnis
Deactivated

Linnis is on a distinguished road

This is so neat. I'm game. Now if I can keep DH interested.
Linnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #65
GrowingInGrace

So far I made about $160 $189 selling my "junk" at my mom's garage sale today, and we still have 2 days to go! Whoo-hoo! What am I going to do with all that money? Buy more stuff !!!! JUST KIDDDING!!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #66
mom2lovelyava

I threw away a bunch of old medicines last week and this week I cleaned out my vegetable drawar - it was really gross! I can't believe that I let it get that bad!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #67
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute

I got rid of 3 bags of summer maternity clothes today and a pair of shoes!
I sold 2 books on Amazon
I threw away 1 bag of stained & icky baby clothes
I gathered 2 bags of baby clothes ot list on Ebay or SnS

AmyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #68
phermion

I pulled EVERYTHING out of our garage and sorted all but two large boxes before it was replaced. I removed more than 7 boxes of junk, plus a water cooler with an extra water jug, a large microwave, a pac-n-play type thing, a large humidifier, one large bag of toys, one large bag of dh's clothes, more than 8 VHS tapes, and 9 metal folding chairs. I still want to get rid of more...but I think it'll be one layer at a time. I still feel like there is just TOO MUCH in our house that is not used regularly enough to justify keeping. So, there's my update. It took from 9am till after 10:30pm to complete.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:06 AM   #69
GrowingInGrace

Last weekend we sent over about 4 boxes of books we never read anymore. And I got rid of 6 organizing/idea books!!! I realized what a collection of really unhelpful books that were just their own clutter.

This weekend, dh took three bags of stuff and 1 toy shopping cart to goodwill. I just filled another bag up as I was going through the kids clothes.

My next big project is going through the kitchen cupboards...
Old 06-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #70
ShangriLewis

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I really wish I had taken pictures during this time, but we have been way too busy.

We have gotten rid of truckloads of stuff. I got over all the mourning of letting go and I actually am enjoying figuring out what other stuff I can get rid of. Our almost 1500 square foot house was packed with stuff. Plus, a good 500 square foot garage.

We sold a lot of stuff at a local variety mall, donated, and threw out stuff like clothes with holes and stuff like that.

It feels so very good. We are planning on getting rid of more furniture and trying to move in a smaller truck then when we moved up here.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #71
AdrienneQW
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

AdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond repute

We are *buried* in clutter. We have sooooooo much stuff. Over the past two weeks I have gotten rid of 27 garbage bags full of clothes, fabric, and toys (donated 22 bags, tossed five). And I'd guess I'm not even 25% done.

Our overall goal is to be clutter-free by August. We will reward ourselves with a big Labor Day party in our lovely, spacious, clutter-free home. Anybody want to come?
Proud mama of Dexter (Feb 2002) and Celeste (April 2005)
Always loving Thomas William (03/04)
AdrienneQW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:48 AM   #72
sgreen

I also want to do a big re-organise....but i'm afraid it's going to have to wait till september, when the boys are both in full time school...that's the only way i can work....but i could at least start writing out a plan...!

maybe when it gets nearer the time i will post some before and after pictures..btw, I live in manchester england in what we call a two up two down cottage.. very small...approx 600 sq foot total!....but i'm going for it!!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 AM   #73
gabriola
Rose Bouquet

gabriola will become famous soon enoughgabriola will become famous soon enough

I have been doing a major decluttering about once a month since this thread began- so far managing to empty kitchen cupboards,bedroom closets, and kids toys. But the highlight was this weekend...when my husband was around to sort through boxes of his university stuff and various other childhood items. We were able to get rid of 2 very large boxes of paper for recycling and about 100 lbs or more worth of stuff from under our stairs ( clothes, clocks, books,). Then we scrubbed and cleaned the garage and got rid of even more clutter. It is so refreshing. If I keep this up we will soon have nothing left. I am really striving for the vacation house feel where you only have what you use and very little else. I must admit that i have kept a few boxes of mementos from my youth as well as toys that I played with as a child. I am finding those hard to part with.
gabriola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:28 AM   #74
sgreen

Well done Gabriola!

I also like the idea of only having what we use....I think I'm maybe going to follow william morris.....I'm going to keep what's 'useful or beautiful'!!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #75
ShangriLewis

So, we rented a 10 X 10 storage place yesterday. Public Storage (who we didn't use because the local one was cleaner, nicer, cheaper, and well a local) says that is a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment.

I doubt it will be full and if it is, it will only be floor space. We will probably have total 6 mini-vans full of stuff. Two of those will be three pieces of furniture and our mattresses. Yeah!!! It feel so good.

The amazing thing is I felt a pull towards change and the first thing I started on was letting go of stuff. We started simplifying. Then my acceptance to the University came when I wasn't suppose to get in. It was crazy, but God is the one who has done all of this. But, the first step he asked of us, was to let go of our stuff.

Heather