Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #16
Caecelia
Rose Trellis

Caecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FCLO found to be fake in new report

In regards to the question about CLO being a good way to supplement vit D-- I had internalized something along the lines of the fact that the vit D to vit A ratios being what they were in CLO made the absorption better.
DD1, born at home 6/27/11
DD2, born at home 5/5/14

INFJ DYT 4 (why yes, my signature is bolded! )

RIP Dad (5/16/51-9/6/12) Always in my heart

Caecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall considering FCLO to be a huge source of Vitamin D when we used it. We stopped, because though it was initially helpful at some point histamine became a bigger issue and that pretty much rules out fermented foods.

I like the WAPF principles and believe in that way of life as a good choice but NOT WAPF the organization if that makes sense. I don't trust them or like the things I've read about the way the organization is run. And their breastfeeding advice is downright terrible.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (08-25-2015), domesticzookeeper (08-26-2015), HomeWithMyBabies (08-26-2015), Hopetobe (08-25-2015), Soliloquy (08-28-2015), tempus vernum (11-18-2015), Zooey (11-28-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 AM   #19
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

http://chriskresser.com/important-up...cod-liver-oil/

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-27-2015), HomeWithMyBabies (08-27-2015), sweetpeasmommy (08-27-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #20
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies View Post
I read somewhere there is another brand of FCLO coming out?

Afa vitamin d, I don't count on FCLO to provide that. I try to get out in the sun all summer and last winter I took supplements, quite a high IU in fact. I checked my levels at the start of last spring and they were 30's, not the worst I've ever heard of but not great either. I learned then that the body needs other vitamins and minerals to work along with D, and my problem was most likely that I had quick taking magnesium a year or two prior. It seems I need lots. I'll know for sure when I test again in a few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PeasInAPod View Post
Oh let us know your results! I've been reading how vit d supplements don't up your levels that much. .. this worries me
Ok, so I waited until three weeks ago to take and send in my blood sample and just got the results. After a summer of frequent sun exposure and zero D3 supplements (plenty of magnesium though), I dropped 4 ng/ml from March to October. So I guess I am starting the D3 supplements again!

Last edited by HomeWithMyBabies; 11-12-2015 at 12:48 PM.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #21
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I did a little reading on the FCLO controversy and decided I will not be purchasing from Green Pastures ever again. And I am starting to think The Healthy Home Economist is a sell-out.

Mommypotamus recommends a Scandinavian cold-pressed CLO that we might try.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #22
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

Can you pass along the info that your were reading? I am still unclear about all of this.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #23
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
And I am starting to think The Healthy Home Economist is a sellout.

She lost me at the Costco coconut oil. It seemed so transparent that she just wanted people to be scared into using certain more expensive brands, that she most likely has affiliations with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (11-19-2015), houseforjoy (11-18-2015), Llee (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Can you pass along the info that your were reading? I am still unclear about all of this.
It was over a month ago so I don't have the specific links. I did read everything by the person who first ordered the testing of FCLO. I read the rebuttals by the WAPF people and the Green Pastures guy. I also saw that The Healthy Home Economist initially posted something about pollock and cod being different, then took that down and wrote they're the same. They're not.

I've always thought she was a bit of an alarmist and out-of-touch with the budget realities of the average family but I didn't think she'd do something like this.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Here is a starting point.

http://www.drrons.com/kaayla_daniel_...clo_report.htm

It gets complicated from there.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Eta I've considered Sally Fallon to be a bit of a nut and a lot of a control freak for years. I have Weston Price's book, it's very informative. I do believe his research was revolutionary and worthwhile reading. The WAPF, under the direction of Sally Fallon, eh, not sure if they do more harm than good.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (11-12-2015), Dandelion (11-13-2015), domesticzookeeper (11-18-2015), HomeWithMyBabies (11-12-2015), Llee (11-13-2015), sweetpeasmommy (11-12-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #25
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I have gotten a weird feeling about Sally Fallon for a long time, but never really explored that. I need to spend some time researching this in the near future. It is the more extremist stuff that is hard to fully accept as truth.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #26
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
I don't recall considering FCLO to be a huge source of Vitamin D when we used it. We stopped, because though it was initially helpful at some point histamine became a bigger issue and that pretty much rules out fermented foods.
This is what we found We are completely off fermented foods and yeasts. I actually wonder sometimes if the high level of ferments we consumed (every meal) caused all our crazy allergies We didn't have these allergies pre WAPF or GAPS. There is nothing to be done about it as it happened and now we move on and try to rebuild but it is frustrating.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Zooey (11-28-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #27
bentlaj11
Rose Trellis

bentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
This is what we found We are completely off fermented foods and yeasts. I actually wonder sometimes if the high level of ferments we consumed (every meal) caused all our crazy allergies We didn't have these allergies pre WAPF or GAPS. There is nothing to be done about it as it happened and now we move on and try to rebuild but it is frustrating.
Allergies to food or environmental? I've backed off the FCLO these past few mo., but DS still has to take stuff for environmental allergies. I wondered about the histamine in the FCLO, but never could find any good info.

InFpType 2/3(?)
bentlaj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #28
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

We had tons of food allergies, went on gaps, healed up a ton of them. but now we have a ton of environmental allergies. Looking back my dd's began on gaps

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 11-25-2015 at 09:03 AM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #29
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

WHAAAAATTTTT?!! I'm going to read the link... then decide whether I should finish my almost $100 bottle of FCLO. (Up here in Canada, I still haven't figured out how to order it online without crazy charges and it went from about $60 to $90 when I was in the health food store a few days ago. There's basically only one place who has it at the moment and even they rarely have it.)
So is their High Vitamin Butter Oil a scam too? (I ordered some through a store here about a year ago for close to $100 as well.)
And here I was hoping to heal my teeth and get them in good health from this stuff. I figured that a hundred bucks a bottle was better than unhealthy teeth along with their health and financial consequences. Guess not?