Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #46
LittleSweetPeas

Default Re: What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

I just remember someone bringing me a quart of ice cream with dinner and I thought they were the best ever!

And someone else brought me In N Out.

I've brought a Take N Bake pizza since they could refrigerate it overnight or cook it then. I hate cooking so I play it easy. If I really love ya you get the only thing I'm famous for: baked chicken.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #47
GrumpyMom

I usually take my homemade minestrone along with my chicken salad, some bread from Panera (or bread that I made...but usually not) and a dessert. I started this because I had a vegetarian friend with a newbie, followed by another friend with a newborn during Lent...that way the rest of the family could eat the chicken (the non-vegetarians) and/or eat the chicken as sandwiches the next day. The soup also lasts for more than one meal. I got so many compliments from the two friends that I almost always make that now.

My favorites when I was the new mom were: chicken on rice with side of brocoli salad and homemade cookies; roast in the crock with twice baked potatoes and spinach salad and homemade apple pie;homemade bolognase (sp) sauce with huge salad and lemon cake; and a delicious BBQ beef from the crock. My friends are great cooks...my dh and I kept saying "we should have a baby more often!" LOL
Old 08-14-2007, 03:12 AM   #48
CapeTownMommy
Deactivated

CapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh this is a great thread! I'm taking dinner for a friend on Saturday and I was looking for ideas. I have decided on: Chicken pie (homemade, I make a mean chicken pie!) but unbaked so they can freeze it if they want. Plus a big green salad, some fresh bread rolls, and dessert.

I'm also one who didn't get a single meal when I had the baby (despite the fact that my mom lives 5 minutes away!) So I'm doing what I can for my friends who give birth.
CapeTownMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 AM   #49
Weezie
Rose Garden

A sign of God's love...

Weezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd make lasagna- it can be frozen and is good reheated.
Beef stew is also a good one.

I was never given meals... makes me want another baby to see if it would happen. Well, that and other reasons.. (To have another baby, that is...)
Beansie (8 yrs)
Trooper (toddling around)

The Boo and The Boy too
Daytime "second mother" to Cindy Lou Hoo and Petunia too
Currently DF and WF for trooper
Weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #50
Embracing Grace
Rose Trellis

Embracing Grace has disabled reputation

Just a quick question: How do you transport a green salad? Do you bring the dressing on the side? Or do you bring a salad kit? I can't find a good way to do this..... and I don't know if the salad kit is a good idea. I am bringing a meal to someone this friday and would like to include a salad.

Josiah, 7
Judah, 3
Married to John
www.hebrew4christians.com
Embracing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #51
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embracing Grace
Just a quick question: How do you transport a green salad? Do you bring the dressing on the side? Or do you bring a salad kit? I can't find a good way to do this..... and I don't know if the salad kit is a good idea. I am bringing a meal to someone this friday and would like to include a salad.
Well, whenever we have gotten a salad "kit", as in a salad from the grocery store, we have never eaten it.
What we received and liked and now do is put each fixin' in a separate bag. Well, depending on type of salad. I usually do a fruited green salad when I send salad. If it is just regular veggie salad, unless it is something strong like onions, I put it all together. I would keep any cheese or nuts separate. I use just ziplocs. I usually make dressing and put it in a small glass jar that I save for this purpose, or a small gladware or something.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #52
monica
Rose Bush

monica will become famous soon enoughmonica will become famous soon enough

This is a great thread.

Punkie, how do you make your baked ziti?

Monica
trying to embrace every crazy moment, slobbery kiss, temper tantrum and sweet snuggle with my five little birdies

ds 3/2000
dd 6/2005
dd 2/2007 Our first homebirth!
ds 4/2009 homebirth
dd 3/2013 our first waterbirth
monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #53
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica
This is a great thread.

Punkie, how do you make your baked ziti?
http://www.hippiemommy.com/2005/12/17/baked-ziti/

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #54
Embracing Grace
Rose Trellis

Embracing Grace has disabled reputation

Thanks for the salad tip! I just ate a salad kit myself to see if it's anything I want to send over to people. It was hard picking out a fresh one... :/ I like your idea of zip lock bags!

Josiah, 7
Judah, 3
Married to John
www.hebrew4christians.com
Embracing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #55
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute

Anything in a crock pot is awesome! It's so nice to have something that is hot to eat whenever you actually have a moment. My sister brought just one of those frozen banquet crock pot meals after I had a m/c and an d&c-that was very helpful. When my dd was born, my mom put taco soup in my crock pot. That was one of the only times I had hot food after dd was born .
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #56
MaiasKnittingMama

If it's cold, I make my pumpkin and pesto lasagne with a big salad, and some sort of hot dessert...and I will usually throw together a package with some raw almonds and some fruit and what other healthy and delicious finger food I can find.

If it's hot, then my chicken salad that I get requests from everyone for anyway, and a fruit salad and some icecream, and the healthy finger food collection as above.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #57
BeckaBlue
Rose Garden

AKA mama2madj

BeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond repute

another who's never gotten a meal after baby....but we got plenty of meals when my mom died
I did get a thing from omaha steaks after nik from an online friend

high in protein and fiber for right after baby, a bean dish like burritos
K, 14 ENP
A, 11 INJ
N, 10 EFJ
J, 5.5 ETJ
El 10/11
D 1/13

"Against the grain should be a way of life. What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" - Nickelback
BeckaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #58
naturallia
Deactivated

naturallia is on a distinguished road

I never had that done for me... I wonder if that'll happen this time around.

Anyways, did the people already know you were bringing them food or did you surprise them with food? I have a bunch of pregnant friends and maybe I'll surprise them.
naturallia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #59
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite new-mom meal was a big bowl of perfectly seasoned tabbouleh. I could eat it straight out of the fridge and it filled up the corners quite nicely. It was also nice and moist, what with the fresh cucumbers and cooked grains.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #60
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Checking this thread always leaves me drooling, and suddenly aware that I am very very hungry.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote