Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Apologizing When Child Misbehaved

When your child has misbehaved and you as a parent react in anger (raising your voice, using unkind talk, etc) how do you apologize while still holding them accountable for their part in it?

For example, if your child is not treating their siblings kindly, stubbornly refusing to do what you ask, speaking in an over-the-top disrespectful manner, etc continuously and you eventually snap and speak harshly to them? What if you have reacted wrongly and need to apologize, but you have a child who doesn't seem to realize they did anything wrong unless you point it out? Do you say "I'm sorry for reacting wrongly to you. I was feeling pushed to the limits when you refused to stop doing such and such." Or do you just say "I'm sorry for reacting wrongly to you" and leave it at that and just hope and pray that they figure it out that there were things they did that needed correction, and hope and pray that they will follow your example by apologizing to the offended parties?

Don't they say that an apology with a "but" is no apology at all? So how do you keep your children accountable for their actions while still taking responsibility for your own?
Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
everybody's mother
Rose Bouquet

everybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Apologizing When Child Misbehaved

I think your first example is ok. It is an apology followed by an explaination. If you throw that "but" in there then it sounds like you are blaming rather than explaining.
everybody's mother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to everybody's mother For This Useful Post:
mamacat (07-31-2015), MercyInDisguise (07-31-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it two separate things. One- what child did was wrong and ALSO 2- I was wrong. I try to keep the "but" out of it or hold child responsible for *my* behavior. We also talk at other times how you really can push people to their limit and what kinds of things might do that. Then in the future, you can say I'm getting close to my limit and I'm going to cool off now.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (07-31-2015), MercyInDisguise (07-31-2015), Ravenzmama (07-30-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 04:10 AM   #4
CJNeeley
Rose Bush

CJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to behold

I apologize for yelling (because that's the one I tend to slip and do), remind them why I/we shouldn't yell, then say something like, "Let's try that again, shall we?" before readdressing their behavior calmly in a brief, direct matter of fact way and we take a break. I don't tend toward giving a reason for why I yelled in the moment because I don't want them to twist it into being their fault. (I will sometimes explain later apart from the occurrence if they ask, but I still try to choose my words carefully to maintain that it was my own fault I yelled. I also try to point out other contributing factors--like in my case, skipped meals lead to 'hanger' so I might talk about how not stopping to eat lunch because I ____ instead/or being tired/or having pain or fever/or being in the middle of an illness or a flare/etc--and how that made me feel grumpier to start with so that their was a shorter distance needed for me to feel overwhelmed. This kind of seems to help them identify their own weaknesses rather than blaming each other as often... but certain of my kids just seem prone to reflection and others to deflection and excuses.)
CJNeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:03 AM   #5
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I screwed up and yelled. Plain and simple, so I apologize and leave out her behavior. Once we have made up and moved past my yelling, I then address where she went wrong and why.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (07-31-2015), mamacat (07-31-2015), MercyInDisguise (07-31-2015), Sparrow (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

- Im sorry I didnt say that to use in a nicer voice/way

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Pearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond repute

Sharon Silver of Proactive Parenting suggests having a conversation framed with the idea that each person had a role in the conflict. So you own and apologize for your part (reacting badly), and then ask the child to own and apologize for their part.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Celebrating resurrection life after a heart transplant on 2/21/15!

Married since 8/28/04 to a big Bear
Mama to sweet & spirited Charlotte , born 9/08, determined & imaginative Zachary , born 6/12, one I'll see in heaven 10/10, and easy-going Elliott , born 4/14!
Pearl In Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pearl In Oyster For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (07-31-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #8
Saoirse
Rose Garden

Coming out into the Light!

Saoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond repute

We talk about the incident as a whole. I apologize for my part in it and say what I think I should've done instead. "I'm sorry that I yelled at you. Instead of yelling, I should've walked away to calm down then helped you with what you were having trouble doing on your own. The next time I get frustrated, I will walk away to calm down first." Then it is his turn. I usually go first because it is modeling for him. After his turn, I explain that we are family and that families should work together so that everyone meets their responsibilities and so that we all are kind and respectful to each other.

It is really, really hard to feel like you are giving the same lesson over and over. It's getting better, even if it is slow progress. I'm hopeful that one day things will be easier.

"A victim lives in fear. A Survivor endures. A victim is weak and powerless, paying for what was not her doing.
A Survivor has grown strong because she knows the price is not hers to pay, the sin is not hers to atone." - unknown

Alis volat propriis

SingleFabulousMamas unite!
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saoirse For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (08-13-2015), MariJo7 (08-05-2015), rjy9343 (08-03-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #9
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea from Saoirse! Sounds like a little business meeting and why not . After an "incident" it may be very helpful to make some agreements and plans about hor to handle a similar situation the next time.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote