Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 08-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #16
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My most behaved child suddenly.....isn't

Playful parenting is great. It's a great to switch tactics and gears so that your child minds you without either one of you really backing down. If you have a child that's more confrontational then you can move them in the right direction before they know what's happening. Since it's fun, they are more likely to continue without a fuss.
You get the cooperation you need without all the drama do it or else brings. Win- win.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-07-2015), ModestMama (08-07-2015), ReedleBeetle (08-08-2015), Sparrow (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #17
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Everything your describing sounds like very typical toddler behavior to me. It is good to gently set boundaries of acceptable and unacceptable behavior but there are some things you just have to accept with a 3-year-old.

All of my toddlers went through a very helpful stage and then a very unhelpful stage. During the unhelpful stage, toys that drove me batty got boxed up and stored away for awhile. Fewer toys usually results in happier, more cooperative children.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Messing up sister's chores would be unacceptable. Before she starts doing them, engage him in something else-- playing outside, play dough, a board game, helping you cook, etc.

The laughing and running away is his idea of engaging you, most likely. He doesn't know the acceptable way to ask for attention and a playmate.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-07-2015), Kiara.I (08-07-2015), rjy9343 (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #18
ModestMama
Rosebud

ModestMama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Everything your describing sounds like very typical toddler behavior to me. It is good to gently set boundaries of acceptable and unacceptable behavior but there are some things you just have to accept with a 3-year-old.

All of my toddlers went through a very helpful stage and then a very unhelpful stage. During the unhelpful stage, toys that drove me batty got boxed up and stored away for awhile. Fewer toys usually results in happier, more cooperative children.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Messing up sister's chores would be unacceptable. Before she starts doing them, engage him in something else-- playing outside, play dough, a board game, helping you cook, etc.

The laughing and running away is his idea of engaging you, most likely. He doesn't know the acceptable way to ask for attention and a playmate.
Thank you! I will definitely start engaging him!! Such good advice! I really appreciate it.
Now what should I do as far as him throwing things at US. He has a really good aim and a strong arm. And he throws heAvy things and aims at our faces.
ModestMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #19
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMama View Post
Now what should I do as far as him throwing things at US. He has a really good aim and a strong arm. And he throws heAvy things and aims at our faces.

What things is he allowed to throw, and where? For us we can throw balls in the hallway. So when he throws, remind him of the rule, grab a ball, and go play in the hallway for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #20
ModestMama
Rosebud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
What things is he allowed to throw, and where? For us we can throw balls in the hallway. So when he throws, remind him of the rule, grab a ball, and go play in the hallway for a while.
He has a crochet ball that I made him ( tad bigger than a softball) that he can throw in the house and I allow him to throw balloons. So I will do what you suggested. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #21
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw your title and thought "Me tooooooo "
Except my easy-going cuddle bug didn't turn not easy until he turned four. Which was three months ago.
I have ramped up the scripting for him." I see you are walking in tiny baby steps like this [I mimic him]. Does your body need something?"
Or the tear my hair out,excessive whiiiiiiiining. Ugh. "I cannot understand you when your voice goes high pitched and stretched out like this [mimic him]. Try to tell me what you want like this [script normal request voice]."
"You may not run away from the table. Come back,sit down. I will help you,tell me what you need. Okay,you do not want Brussels sprouts on your plate. Thank you for telling me what you are thinking,now I can help."
"Mama,big sister took my airplane and I feel very angry and sad. It makes me angry that I cannot reach it."
Etc. Ad nauseum. It's soooo frustrating. I want him to be the easy,convenient kid yes but More than that,I want him to have a voice. And all this excessive scripting,quietly making eye contact and slowwwly parenting stuff (because I tend to give directions too quickly) IS paying off.
He says amazing things to me lately like "Mommy,I feel sad because you played with [big sister] and held and kissed [Baby brother] but didn't play with me. And so I feel sad now."
Alrighty then. The precious toddler who sucked his thumb and came along quietly without a word was WAY easier. But we both know these new,emerging independent,emotionally intelligent, attached little boys we are raising are WAY more important than our temporary sanity. Just think of what kind of men they will be!
All the hugs. I am so there with you.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
MariJo7 (08-14-2015), ModestMama (08-07-2015), mommychem (08-07-2015), ReedleBeetle (08-08-2015), Soliloquy (08-07-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #22
ModestMama
Rosebud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1231 View Post
I saw your title and thought "Me tooooooo "
Except my easy-going cuddle bug didn't turn not easy until he turned four. Which was three months ago.
I have ramped up the scripting for him." I see you are walking in tiny baby steps like this [I mimic him]. Does your body need something?"
Or the tear my hair out,excessive whiiiiiiiining. Ugh. "I cannot understand you when your voice goes high pitched and stretched out like this [mimic him]. Try to tell me what you want like this [script normal request voice]."
"You may not run away from the table. Come back,sit down. I will help you,tell me what you need. Okay,you do not want Brussels sprouts on your plate. Thank you for telling me what you are thinking,now I can help."
"Mama,big sister took my airplane and I feel very angry and sad. It makes me angry that I cannot reach it."
Etc. Ad nauseum. It's soooo frustrating. I want him to be the easy,convenient kid yes but More than that,I want him to have a voice. And all this excessive scripting,quietly making eye contact and slowwwly parenting stuff (because I tend to give directions too quickly) IS paying off.
He says amazing things to me lately like "Mommy,I feel sad because you played with [big sister] and held and kissed [Baby brother] but didn't play with me. And so I feel sad now."
Alrighty then. The precious toddler who sucked his thumb and came along quietly without a word was WAY easier. But we both know these new,emerging independent,emotionally intelligent, attached little boys we are raising are WAY more important than our temporary sanity. Just think of what kind of men they will be!
All the hugs. I am so there with you.
Thank you soooooo much for this! This gives me hope. I've never done the scripting before. Looks like I have alot to learn!
The Following User Says Thank You to ModestMama For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-08-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #23
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Scripting has been a God-send and I mean that literally. GCM is loaded with scripting (maybe type it in the search bar when you have some time to take notes) and I use it every single day. Little people usually only have a vague idea of how to express their jumble of emotions. Putting words to it gives them power to communicate with you. And it tells them "I see you. I hear your words. I care about you. You're not alone with your big feelings. I'm here to help."
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
ModestMama (08-11-2015), ReedleBeetle (08-08-2015), Soliloquy (08-09-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #24
MrsDuck
Rose Bouquet

MrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud of

Also, the other tool that works well with my three year old is, do you want to do it or do you want me to help you? I'm going to help you when I get to three. One. Two... I try to remember how little he still is (even though he frequently tells me that he's big now) and sometimes he really does need the help. And it's ok.

Blessed to be a Stay at Home-schooling Mama to:
DS1 - Snugglebug - Nov. '08
DS2 - Wiggles - May '12
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsDuck For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-08-2015), ModestMama (08-11-2015), ReedleBeetle (08-08-2015), Soliloquy (08-09-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #25
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

When I didn't want to get up to reinforce a leave it alone.... I played "Where's my Baby?" or "Come give Momma a big hug afore you get in trouble" in a silly voice with arms stretched great big. Both worked fabulously. Lol

Also....taking 5 minutes to get a 3yr old really engaged in a toy like trains or cars or whatever they can engage in imaginatively, would often give me an hour of time to get something else done.... And he felt loved.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-08-2015), ModestMama (08-11-2015), rjy9343 (08-08-2015), Soliloquy (08-09-2015)