Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
bec28
Rose Garden

bec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you savor the time?

The weeks and months just seem to be going by so quickly and I find myself really wanting to be more intentional in soaking up my kids. They are growing so fast and I want to make the most of this time.

I need to put my phone down and not be online so much.

What are things you do to savor this time when they are little?
staying at home and loving it! learning to be a more grace filled, gentle mama
bec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bec28 For This Useful Post:
Earthylady (09-03-2012), mommychem (09-03-2012), movinforward (09-06-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you savor the time?

I struggle with this too. Keeping myself sane and everyone alive seems to take a lot of energy some days. I keep a calendar on DD's wall where I write stuff down every few days/weeks. It helps me to think about what's been happening and to remember too.

When I want to run away and hide I try to change my perspective. "In 40 yrs will I want to remember feeling trapped by a toddler and her books, or feeling like the queen of the world because my DD thought I was the bees knees because I could read to her?" "Do I want to remember wishing my baby would just freaking sleep or having a little slumber party tickle fest with her in our own special mama and baby time?"

In the now, I want to run and hide. So thinking of looking back with a bit of distance from the crazy helps me a lot.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (09-03-2012), bec28 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Mommainrwanda
Rose Trellis

New country - same username

Mommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond repute

I try to take a little bit of time every day to see the world through the Urchin's eyes. Instead of only reminding myself, "She's just two. This will pass." I try to think, "WHAT exactly does she see as a two year old? What does the world look like?" And then I try to spend a few minutes enjoying that world. It's kind of addicting. We end up spending more time than I normally would staring at the moon or smelling every. single. colorful flower and figuring out what every gadget does in the kitchen.

I can't do it all the time (and don't really think I should), but it's a fun way to experience some time in the day.

-Showing grace
-Undercommitting
-Believing in the restoration of all things

The Urchin is capriciously 3
The Chiton is
an introvert not an introvert, just T4 baby

Adventure blog: Delving for a Rhapsody
Mommainrwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mommainrwanda For This Useful Post:
bec28 (09-03-2012), bentlaj11 (09-03-2012), duckwithoneleg (09-03-2012), MercyInDisguise (09-03-2012), Pearl In Oyster (09-03-2012), Rugayatu (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

I often have to stop and force myself to slow down and live in the moment, rather than worry about everything I have to do tomorrow or next week.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
bec28 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
greendelight
Rose Trellis

greendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant future

I struggle with this, so...
greendelight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greendelight For This Useful Post:
bec28 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute

I think/feel like holidays and tradtions are going to go a long way for us. I want to figure out as many ways to make a day special as I can.

Simple things, you know? Realistic . Like sharing apple cider and cinnamon donuts on the mountain as a family for the first day of fall.

Celebrating extra things like half birthdays.

Also, so far, the AP stuff helps. Co sleeping and baby wearing

As he gets older, I guess we'll see for ideas

Welcoming all prayers for a sticky duckling this time

At the end of time, I will kiss you all over your face.
duckwithoneleg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duckwithoneleg For This Useful Post:
bec28 (09-03-2012), greendelight (09-03-2012), PrincessAnika (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
bec28
Rose Garden

bec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond repute

I that idea of traditions. I'm really bad at putting forethought into something like that. I'd like to try to get better at making certain things special.
staying at home and loving it! learning to be a more grace filled, gentle mama
bec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bec28 For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine are not so little (they are 19, 15, 10, and 7). Savoring each moment means all the more to me now that I have the perspective of having my oldest away at college since last year and home only for holidays.

Here are what dh and I do to make the most of our moments together with the kids:

*Eat as many meals together as possible.

*Schedule date nights with each child alone about once per month or at least take 1 child along while running errands.

*Have daily tuck in rituals (or at least hugs good night) no matter how old the child

*Family game nights

*Family vacations and weekends away

*Lots of photos and videos we look at and use to reminisce often

*Holiday traditions like cutting down the Christmas tree, Christmas eve services, Thanksgiving and Easter get togethers with extended family

*Birthday parties

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (09-03-2012), bec28 (09-03-2012), duckwithoneleg (09-03-2012), Llee (09-03-2012), movinforward (09-06-2012), PrincessAnika (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

How do I savor the time...pictures...blogging - I mean it is my way of looking at now with the future in mind (does that make sense?)...writing down sweet moments ..saving my fb status updates to put in a book eventually.

I love you rituals - little intentional moments where we are making eye contact and giggling together.
Hugging them at least once daily (I mean really relaxing into eachother and sniffing their heads )

Saving gcm/fb time for only when I am nursing dd3 down for naps or dh is home and I need a break.

Walks outside where we go slowly and talk and "take forever".

Slowing down- that is my biggest thing I am working on now. I tend to be very focused in getting stuff DONE. I have been working on just letting it be a process.

Watching them sleep...taking pictures of then asleep...it is the sweetest sight on earth

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

ETA I am not big on holiday traditions I mean we *have* traditions but I tend to feel super stressed out at the holidays (all the partying/people/hanging out ew! )

And I remember my Mom always being so frazzled at the holidays (that wasn't all but she did *so* much and w my dads wok schedule I jink her expectations for herself were too high)...I just don't care if we use the super pretty table cloths, baked 5 variations of cookies, and that everything is perfect. I want to be relaxed and enjoy. So we are trying to adopt simple, pleasant, kid-driven traditions. This year (as part of "school" we will be doing one special thing a day for advent. (We did a lot last year to get ready but not 25 days)...also putting dy (estj) in charge of some traditions (like baking. Cookies w the girls and holiday bread on Xmas morning) that turned brambly sorry

I have also been trying to do as many little 5-10min intentional things each girl loves...RJ loves to color...aj looves to he read to...pj loves to he talked to and walked around...you do a few circuits of that a day and it deepens our days.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
bec28 (09-03-2012), duckwithoneleg (09-03-2012), Llee (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
Elora
Deactivated

Elora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond repute

Document everything you do with pictures... a "day in the life"

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmk4 View Post
*Schedule date nights with each child alone about once per month or at least take 1 child along while running errands.
Elora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elora For This Useful Post:
bec28 (09-03-2012), Daria_Aleksandrovna (09-03-2012)