Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute
Default science proves gluten sensitivity isn't real??

So, I've seen several of these articles posted on facebook recently... and I am so insecure I feel like these people are calling me a fool or a faker or whatever... I have a couple friends who roll their eyes at the GF trend and who I have felt the need to defend myself to (in person) when they scoff... one friend in particular almost intentionally makes gluten laden meals whenever they cook for us (post-baby meals, or having us over) so that I am stuck with just a side salad for dinner

Anyways... what are your thoughts? I know I have tested for gluten allergy and it came up positive... but that's different than celiac right?
So confusing... I just don't want to be told that my symptoms are all in my head

oops, forgot link:
http://www.buzzworthy.com/science-pr...-just-whiners/

okay.. editing to add that this is just the most recent link posted on FB and it's clearly not a good source... in fact, the very first comment at the bottom of it points this out...

Last edited by squiddles; 09-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: science proves gluten sensitivity isn't real??

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...25#post5816325

HadassahSukkot (09-25-2014), squiddles (09-24-2014), Virginia (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper View Post
Ha! I knew there was probably a thread on this... thanks

the worst part? I've read that thread already according to the posts I've thanked

Last edited by squiddles; 09-24-2014 at 06:01 PM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
sweetpeasmommy (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Gluten sensitivity is different to having coeliac disease (which I have) but it's just as real. My ds #2 reacts terribly to gluten but is not coeliac.
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (09-25-2014), marigold (09-24-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #5
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been tested for celiac (kind of pointless now, since I've been mostly gf for a couple years now, most of the tests aren't all that accurate anyway, etc.).
But, I do know from elimination diets that gluten is not healthy for my body. This was pre-gf craze. That's all I need to know. And....I've had those times of self-doubt and challenged my body by eating gluten. Not a great idea, but it solidifies my resolve that I am right about my body. Wheat/gluten is bad for *me*.

Interestingly though, it is a different bodily response, depending on the food. I can cheat with lo mein/Chinese food, taking digestive enzymes, and have tolerably bad response (back to normal in 3 days).

Cake, though? That is the debil. Took me a month and a half to get back to normal. Not worth it.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few thoughts,

1) Sometimes the whole gluten is evil thing is far overblown and blamed too often.

2) People can be sensitive or allergic to pretty much everything that exists and this has nothing to do with anyone's thoughts on the particular item... it just is the way it is.

3) I also think some people, in eliminating gluten, also unknowingly eliminate something else that is the real culprit and they don't ever figure out what that something is... but... so what? If it helps, it helps.
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (09-25-2014), Lady TS (09-25-2014), melissa5317 (09-26-2014), WanderingJuniper (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
KSM
Seedling Rose

KSM is on a distinguished road

I've seen posts like that so often. My ds2 has some sort if gluten sensitivity, but I still almost fell for it and believed those posts. After he tested negative for celiac and wheat allergies, I put him back on a normal diet for a while. My tiny 26 lb 3 year old lost 3 lbs because of that. :-( Maybe you can't prove it, but gluten sensitivity can be real.
KSM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KSM For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #8
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

It's really ridiculous, I've seen it around several times and it drives me crazy because the study doesn't actually prove anything at all and the articles about it completely misrepresent it, but what I really don't understand is why this is a big deal! If people don't eat wheat, so what? It's their choice, if they want to not eat wheat just because they don't like the name of it, well THEY CAN! I understand some people blame wheat for everything, but at some point in time every major food has been blamed for everything. That's not going to go away, in a few years it'll be some other food that becomes the scapegoat. But that's really a minority of people, and anyways it's human nature to say what works for us is what will work for all people. But really, why is it so terrible that people don't eat wheat and say they feel better off it? I'm allergic to eggs and beans, when I tell people that they don't bat an eye. Maybe I get sympathy, but that's it. But when I tell people that Lucca is allergic to gluten, oh my goodness gracious suddenly everyone is a scientist and needs to know what her symptoms are and how we know and have we tried it again and maybe it was something else. Seriously, there is less doubt and resistance when people find out I'm allergic to water than to them finding out Lucca is gluten free.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
KSM (09-26-2014), ReadingMommy (09-25-2014), squiddles (09-25-2014)