Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #16
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freedom post-BabyWise

Thank you for sharing your story. We did Ezzo for 2 months with our oldest, and I still get sad when I think about it. So much of your story resonates with me!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
KSL (04-27-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #17
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny_islander View Post
Or, we can avoid the endless aaaaangst over "high-chair manners" that authors like this tend to inflict on nervous first-time parents by...not using a high chair. Problem solved!
I had to look up high chair manners. I want proof that isn't a joke.
I like high chairs. They give me a safe place for the baby to sit and watch while I cook or clean the kitchen. They also make meals easier on me since he is up high and I can feed him and he can babble at us.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #18
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post

I can't even read Ezzo because if I even read it, the entire time thinking "this is poison" I STILL absorb it and find myself thinking in that direction after reading it.

I bought two Ezzo books at a yard sale last Saturday so I could recycle them. I always buy used copies when I see them and I put them in the recycle so no one else can be poisoned, at least not by those copies.
I have used them (deconstructed) as a liner for the cats' litter box....
everybody's mother (04-20-2016), FlyingBlueKiwi (04-26-2016), KarenBoo (04-16-2016), Llee (04-17-2016), MariJo7 (04-17-2016), Tasmanian Saint (04-16-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #19
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjy9343 View Post
I had to look up high chair manners. I want proof that isn't a joke.
I like high chairs. They give me a safe place for the baby to sit and watch while I cook or clean the kitchen. They also make meals easier on me since he is up high and I can feed him and he can babble at us.
What are "high chair manners"? I'd love to hear a good joke!

I can't remember it myself but my aunt and my parents have told me I liked the high chair when I was little. I liked to be on the same level with the rest of the family and to have eye contact. But I doubt I had any kind of "high chair manners". I have seen a picture of myself as a baby, sitting in the high chair, my mom feeding me spinage. I'm green all over in that picture and looks like I'm having great fun.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (04-17-2016), everybody's mother (04-20-2016), rjy9343 (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #20
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariJo7 View Post
What are "high chair manners"? I'd love to hear a good joke!

I can't remember it myself but my aunt and my parents have told me I liked the high chair when I was little. I liked to be on the same level with the rest of the family and to have eye contact. But I doubt I had any kind of "high chair manners". I have seen a picture of myself as a baby, sitting in the high chair, my mom feeding me spinage. I'm green all over in that picture and looks like I'm having great fun.
Yeah, Ezzo would consider that bad High Chair Manners. Babies are not allowed to throw or drop food on the floor, it must stay clean. They are not supposed to get covered in food or spit it out either.

I read this review of Babywise on Amazon when I had a little toddler in the midst of throwing food. The reviewer praised Babywise up and down saying that because of Ezzo HER child was neat and respectful and NEVER needed a mat under HER high chair because she wasn't a Bad Baby who threw food. SHE could actually take her baby to a restaurant. (Those parents who take messy babies to restaurants should be ashamed.) It was such a self-righteous and quite frankly hostile-to-children post that I felt badly for her child.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (04-17-2016), rjy9343 (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #21
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough my ap baby never needed a mat under her high chair and could be taken to any restaurant we chose without a mess. I just never saw it as a moral issue.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-20-2016), KarenBoo (04-18-2016), Llee (04-17-2016), SalH (04-27-2016), Tasmanian Saint (04-18-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #22
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

My mil was forever praising me and my parenting based on how neatly early bird ate. I always looked at her and said that it was all the child and not me. She still doesn't seam to believe me even though wiggle worm was much messier, but apparently still much neater than the cosins that mil is comparing to.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #23
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What are "high chair manners"? I'd love to hear a good joke!....
Baby sits nicely in the chair, does not reach for the spoon, does not fuss for more, opens their mouth on command, eats whatever is given to them, etc.

According to Anne Marie Ezzo 'there is nothing glorifying God about a baby with carrots in their hair'. What a lie!

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #24
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds ridiculous indeed. But one can not laugh about it.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #25
rjy9343
Rose Garden

Quote:
Sounds ridiculous indeed. But one can not laugh about it.
It's not even close to funny. I meant that I thought is couldn't be true that someone who turned a baby doing normal baby things into a moral issue is taken seriously. My daughter is autistic and was very neat because she couldn't stand the feel of food anywhere other than her mouth. My son who has some physical delays can't feed himself and doesn't seem to want to play with his food either. I would give anything to clean carrots out of hair and anywhere else.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-20-2016), KarenBoo (04-27-2016), knitlove (04-18-2016), MariJo7 (04-19-2016), Tasmanian Saint (04-18-2016), ViolaMum (04-18-2016)
The Following User Says they are praying for rjy9343:
Maleldil's daughter (04-18-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #26
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

Besides the terrifying aspect of having a high chair in a house with tile floors, I knew that dealing with a baby throwing food in a high chair would drive me up the flipping wall. So I solved the problem of Baby's high chair manners by...not having a high chair. I had a low table instead.

Problem solved. Chew on that, Ezzo!

Also, if you're feeding something messy to a baby, there is no law on God's earth forbidding you to feed them in the bathtub.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
BlissfullyEsther (04-27-2016), everybody's mother (04-28-2016), Maleldil's daughter (04-27-2016), MariJo7 (05-01-2016), rjy9343 (04-27-2016), Tasmanian Saint (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 05:22 AM   #27
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I just had the 'three dogs in the house' option for floor clean up. I guess Ezzo isn't a dog person and that's how is theology got so screwed up.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-28-2016), Llee (04-27-2016), MegMarch (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #28
rjy9343
Rose Garden

My parents thought feeding us in the bathtub was too much work (I suppose four kids five and under would have been a lot), so they fed us outside and hosed us and the table down afterwards. We thought it was so much fun.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (04-27-2016), everybody's mother (04-28-2016), MegMarch (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #29
rjy9343
Rose Garden

I wonder how Ezzo would like dinner at my house. Ivy insisted on holding a spoon so she could knock offending food out of my hand or to knock the spoon out of my hand if she was full. (Ivy always thought turning her head was too subtle). Jacob screams with everything he has if I don't give him a spoon to hold so I can dodge it while feeding him the foods he likes. He bangs the tray with food in his mouth so I don't forget him. Since he can't drink from a cup, he just tosses it down when he get s board.
Then there are all the requests for forks to eat soup or a spoon for steak. The need for comments like eating your food directly from the table isn't considered socially acceptable or we eat at the table, not the table.
We won't discuss table conversation since Ivy is still trying to figure out what is and isn't okay and why.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #30
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

I felt emotional reading the OP. What an amazing husband you have, and what an intuitive mama you are, and always were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SalH For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-28-2016), KSL (04-27-2016), MariJo7 (05-01-2016), rjy9343 (04-27-2016), Tasmanian Saint (04-27-2016)