Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #1
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you had 5 min to talk about Charlotte Mason...

what would you be sure to include?

Tomorrow I'll be on a panel that will include other methods of schooling like public, private, charter, and classical and traditional homeschooling. The idea is to give a quick overview, but there's so much to say! (I will be able to share more after if anyone is interested in a small group). I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel here since I have some excellent resources with summaries already compiled...ambleside online, Simply Charlotte Mason website, and books by Andreola, Macaulay, and Levison.

I'll try to cover the basics of philosophy (education is an atmosphere, a discipline, a life) and methods (short lessons, habits, living books, narration...).

What is something that you particularly love about CM or have found to be very helpful? For example, I love the way I've learned to let the child have his own relationship with great books and ideas, rather than chasing a story or a piece of art with my own analysis.

I'd like to hear your thoughts as I prepare for tomorrow.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Last edited by Singingmom; 05-05-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-05-2016), Tasmanian Saint (05-06-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had 5 min to talk about Charlotte Mason...

Nature study and the focus on being outside in all types of weather has been huge for me. I try to read to the children outside whenever possible (and now we have a lovely covered back porch that makes it so much easier to do that!) and it really does make a huge difference when we get outside regularly vs when we don't.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I might mention that it's based on the ancient concept of classical education (the original classical, not the neo-classical that's based on the Three Stages of Learning). The gentle, natural aspect of CM where the parent doesn't get between the child and the book tends to make people see it as unschooling, but it's actually closer to err on the side of lumping CM with classical than with unschooling.

I once challenged myself to peel away the CM method to its bare essentials and write it in a concise 100 words, and then I took those 100 words and clarified it in a very short article (of about 600 words). If nothing else, it covers the basic tenets.
http://archipelago7.blogspot.com/201...tte-mason.html

Last edited by Leslie; 05-05-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-05-2016), Singingmom (05-05-2016), Tasmanian Saint (05-06-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
Singingmom
Administrator

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Also, they asked that we present pros and cons. I think I can be perfectly honest saying I don't know of any cons, having used CM for 12 years now! Any cons you can think of?

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Old 05-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I can think of cons! They aren't cons for my family necessarily, but they might be for some people:

It can be challenging to find living books in all the subjects. While there are book lists available (thankfully!) and more options now than there used to be, it can still be difficult to find good books for some subjects. It can also be especially difficult to even mostly rely on living books and life experiences for subjects like math where traditionally they've been taught completely differently than that.

For someone who is still in the "school at home" mindset, it can be difficult to even imagine breaking away from tests and busywork. So, for some folks it might be too loose for their taste.

For other folks, it can be too restrictive. That's ultimately why I'm not strictly CM in my approach - because my family enjoys having less structure than she recommends

If someone wants something prepackaged then there are curriculums that come close to being CM (Sonlight, for example), but none are *quite* there. With guides like AO, you still have to find the books even though it's all written out. Not everyone is going to want to do that.

It is flexible about structured vs not to a degree - you can be unschool-ish while using CM, but the two aren't completely compatible without sacrificing some important parts of both. As I freely admit as an unschooly-CM homeschooler

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.

Last edited by BarefootBetsy; 05-05-2016 at 11:24 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (05-05-2016), Tasmanian Saint (05-06-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Singingmom
Administrator

Ok, good points! It can be hard to pull everything together. I tend to forget about ways I don't really follow CM strictly, like upper grade science. And I was one who was steeped in the public school model and found this odd until I understood it. This could be an awkward panel with so many different opinions. The whole idea is that you have options, so I don't think I have to worry about offending when I toot the CM horn, but people can get defensive sometimes when you praise something different than what they are embracing.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Cons: You have to make a paradigm shift. If you try to do CM by throwing in some historical fiction, narration and nature walks -- or even by following a CM curriculum -- without making the paradigm shift, it might be a decent education, but it won't be as effective as it could be.

This is where many CM schools run into trouble: their teachers have a hard time making the shift, so, while they might be using really good books, it's not really a CM education the students are getting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-05-2016), Singingmom (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Singingmom
Administrator

I thought of a con...it's harder to grade something like a written narration than it is a worksheet in high school when you have to put grades in a transcript. A good rubric will help with that, but it's still a challenge. I don't really think challenging=con, but I see how it's worth bringing up.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

Or you have to get out of the "grading" mindset completely which might also be difficult/impossible for some folks

Singingmom (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy View Post
Or you have to get out of the "grading" mindset completely
More paradigm shift.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #11
Singingmom
Administrator

It was hard for me to get out of that mindset, and then comes high school where you have to have grades on transcripts, and it was hard to get back into it!

Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #12
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

I'm not convinced you need grades for high school transcripts either though. My dad just wrote "pass" next to all my high school classes. I was accepted into both a state university and a distinguished private college so it apparently worked.

deena (05-08-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
Singingmom
Administrator

Really!? That's very cool.

It went very well, although everyone went over their time limits to talk, so although we had time for questions after each person spoke, we had no time to sit over lunch and get more specific with those interested. All the moms of littles had to gather them up and get them home. Thank you both for your help! I was glad to have talked it out a little before the day. And as a bonus, preparing gave me a great refresher of why I love CM so much and how I can better prepare for the coming year with my dd.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-06-2016), Leslie (05-08-2016), Tasmanian Saint (05-06-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

If I have a short time, I say, "Mason observed a lot about brain development that she couldn't prove with the tools available, but modern research has largely borne out what she had to say. Three things in particular differentiate what she recommended from the conventional wisdom that was a burgeoning trend at the time and is now just what people do in school. First of all, children have to begin with concrete learning of all kinds, preferably from real objects in unscripted situations, so there's a lot of sensory training by messing around outdoors and stuff like that in the lower grades. Second, Mason argued strongly that breaking down lessons into little precisely ordered steps frustrates kids and teachers alike: that kids can synthesize conclusions from information that is presented in a format our brains can accommodate, which for most people means as close to story format as possible. And third, kids pick up more than is immediately obvious, so keeping lessons and homework assignments short is fine--and it avoids exhausting and exasperating them."

If I have even less time, I just say that Mason believed, although she couldn't have put it that way, that a child's mind is not a game of Tetris.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-08-2016), Singingmom (05-08-2016), Tasmanian Saint (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 AM   #15
ctab
Rose Bouquet

ctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy View Post
I'm not convinced you need grades for high school transcripts either though. My dad just wrote "pass" next to all my high school classes. I was accepted into both a state university and a distinguished private college so it apparently worked.
At our homeschool convention I went to a talk about college that was given in part by an admissions director in charge of the main full scholarship at the college. He said to make sure to give grades in high school, because without them you disqualify yourself from a large number of scholarships.
baby #4 due June 2015
ctab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ctab For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (05-09-2016), Tasmanian Saint (05-09-2016)