Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default What oil is healthiest for baking?

What is your go to oil to use in baked goods?
Old 03-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What oil is healthiest for baking?

Coconut oil. And lately I've been using avocado oil where I would have used canola oil in the past, because it has a very mild flavor. In the winter when coconut oil is hard, it feels like extra work to melt it and wash an extra pan, so it's nice to be able to just pour your oil. The strong flavor of olive oil will ruin many baked goods imo. Then there's always organic butter, but my ds is allergic so I don't have the luxury of baking with butter very often.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Last edited by Singingmom; 03-30-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-30-2016), Sparrow (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Grapeseed oil is also a good option is you need something more neutral. But I stick with EVOO, EVCO, and the Spectrum non-hydrogenated palm shortening.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I use applesauce instead of oil.

For all the talk about "healthy fats", oil is not a whole food because it has to be extracted out of food, leaving behind the things God put there to be with it. Healthy fats come from whole foods including whole nuts, coconut, avocado, etc.

If you want to use something with some fat in it for baking, and you want it to be healthy (as mentioned in your title, so I figured you did )you are better off using something made from a whole food like peanut butter (yes, it is ground up but it has all the things God put in there) or another nut butter, sun butter [from sunflower seeds] mashed avocado if it works in the recipe, etc. It doesn't work exactly the same as oil (if I need a straight-up substitute, applesauce is better), but if you want to get some fat in there and are willing to play with the recipe, I would try some of the healthy whole food fats like I mentioned, or start with a recipe for something like a peanut butter cookie and you can substitute applesauce for the oil without missing much because the peanut butter has fat.

I try not to use any oil at all and do not eat any myself, though I eat healthy fats that are whole foods like nuts, seeds, avocado, etc.

But if you really have to have an oil for something (some things you really cannot make without it), a good rule of thumb is to get oil from something that is high-fat because it is high-fat to begin with so less has been removed. So oil from olives, avocado, and coconut (all high-fat foods) is going to be healthier than oil from corn. While canola oil is from a seed, which should normally be high fat, the extraction process is so involved that I cannot recommend it. I really don't recommend using oil at all, or if you do as little as you can (sometimes if a recipe won't work with a cup of applesauce substituted for a cup of oil, it will work with a tablespoon of oil and a cup minus a tablespoon of applesauce).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
deena (04-02-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
Singingmom
Administrator

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I use Spectrum palm oil sometimes too.

Erin, you make good points. Have you ever subbed mashed avocado for oil?

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Old 03-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Coconut oil or ghee (if I can't use pasture butter).
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I use coconut oil for fam - I dont do well with it and sunflower oil for me but also try and void oils.Also use Some olive oil if high heat not involved

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom View Post
Yes, I use Spectrum palm oil sometimes too.

Erin, you make good points. Have you ever subbed mashed avocado for oil?
I haven't because it's more expensive than peanut butter and/or applesauce. I bet someone has tried it, though, and maybe you could find a recipe.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Excellent information! Thanks!

All of our baking is gluten free, as my 12 year old dd cannot have gluten. Would that affect any of the oil recommendations?

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Coconut oil. And lately I've been using avocado oil where I would have used canola oil in the past, because it has a very mild flavor. In the winter when coconut oil is hard, it feels like extra work to melt it and wash an extra pan, so it's nice to be able to just pour your oil. The strong flavor of olive oil will ruin many baked goods imo. Then there's always organic butter, but my ds is allergic so I don't have the luxury of baking with butter very often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
Grapeseed oil is also a good option is you need something more neutral. But I stick with EVOO, EVCO, and the Spectrum non-hydrogenated palm shortening.
I too use coconut oil as our primary cooking/baking oil. However, my 12 year old does most of the baking, and because of its high melting point, she is finding it difficult to work with. Even if it's melted when adding to the recipe, because the other ingredients are usually cold, it hardens up again very quickly. So I was trying to find something that was a little easier for her to work with.

Sounds like avocado or grapeseed might be worth trying.

Bananacake, I know absolutely nothing about non-hydrogenated palm shortening. The word "shortening' sends me running scared, but I admit that I am completely ignorant. What's the basis of it?

Butter is another good option. Most of her pre-gluten free days baking was done with butter. Right now she has had to eliminate both gluten AND dairy, thus eliminating the ability to use butter, but shortly we can reintroduce dairy and see if she reacts to it and if not, butter becomes an option again. Having multiple options is always beneficial tho.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
But if you really have to have an oil for something (some things you really cannot make without it), a good rule of thumb is to get oil from something that is high-fat because it is high-fat to begin with so less has been removed. So oil from olives, avocado, and coconut (all high-fat foods) is going to be healthier than oil from corn. While canola oil is from a seed, which should normally be high fat, the extraction process is so involved that I cannot recommend it. I really don't recommend using oil at all, or if you do as little as you can (sometimes if a recipe won't work with a cup of applesauce substituted for a cup of oil, it will work with a tablespoon of oil and a cup minus a tablespoon of applesauce).
How would I know (apart from trial and error) whether a recipe would substitute applesauce for oil well?

The primary things we bake (all gluten free) are muffins, cakes, cupcakes, cookies, bread, etc. Do these things in general accept the applesauce substitute well?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #10
Singingmom
Administrator

Some people who are allergic to dairy can tolerate butter because it has no milk protein, which is what many are allergic to, so you might introduce it again before you do other dairy just to see.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-30-2016), deena (04-02-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
2sunshines

Did not know that! Thanks!
Old 03-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #12
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

I use olive oil, or 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 applesauce, in my baking (muffins, cakes, quick breads, etc). I don't find the olive oil affects the flavour in a negative way.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some people who are allergic to dairy can tolerate butter because it has no milk protein, which is what many are allergic to, so you might introduce it again before you do other dairy just to see.
Butter is lactose free
it's casein that is still in butter.

We bake with coconut oil when we bake (which is rare) we are also gluten free and refined sugar free so we use honey in cooking as well.

Olive and coconut oil can be extracted naturally through a press -- in fact you can purchase a coconut oil press for about $120 I believe you can process nuts and seeds for oil through it as well but I'm not positive

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 03-30-2016 at 04:51 PM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
deena (04-02-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Spectrum vegan shortening is palm oil. I'm not sure of the process for extracting it. From a traditional baking perspective, it's the easiest and probably most familiar-tasting substitute for butter, especially in terms of texture. For example, it makes a fantastic pie crust - much better than CO because of the melting point. Any other substitutes usually take some trial and error to really get them to taste good.

I bake a LOT. Different substitutes work better with certain other ingredients. For example, I make olive oil cakes a lot in the winter with EVOO; they are wonderful combined with citrus juice and zest as flavoring. (They are very traditional in southern France and Italy.) EVOO also works in biscotti, but try using that same EVOO in a chocolate cake, and it's just yucky! In that case, avocado oil is a milder, and better-tasting choice. Grapeseed and sunflower would also be fine. Coconut oil might be a little too strong, unless you want that taste.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
Singingmom
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
Butter is lactose free
it's casein that is still in butter.
Oh! Sorry to pass on misinformation, 2sunshines! That's what I've been told numerous times, but I don't think I ever researched it on my own. My ds does react to butter.

The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-30-2016)