Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lunch ideas for a picky husband

I need some lunch ideas to take along that will work for all of us. Hubs is by far the pickiest. We have no allergies or intolerance & I need variety. As its spring cold items will work for now. Hubs does not like mayonnaise, mustard, or vinegar. He would prefer his pasta hot but any ideas for a Cole pasta salad that does not include vinegar would be great. He is probably not going to like quinoak, barley or other grain salads but i'll take suggestions anyway. Thanks
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lunch ideas for a picky husband

Anybody?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Pita bread with various fillings can be a nice change - chicken salad, bits of grilled beef and veggies with sauce, anything with yogurt sauce. My mom also filled pitas with pizza sauce and toppings.

Would your family enjoy hard-boiled eggs with salt or a sauce for dipping?

Hummus with crackers or pita chips and an array of veggies.

Roll-ups made with whole wheat tortillas - deli meats, cream cheese, mashed avocado, veggies, even fruits (think smoked turkey, cream cheese, and thin apple slices for example)

Asian-seasoned beef or chicken, lettuce and sprouts, etc, packed separately to make lettuce wraps.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleldil's daughter View Post
Pita bread with various fillings can be a nice change - chicken salad, bits of grilled beef and veggies with sauce, anything with yogurt sauce. My mom also filled pitas with pizza sauce and toppings.

Would your family enjoy hard-boiled eggs with salt or a sauce for dipping?

Hummus with crackers or pita chips and an array of veggies.

Roll-ups made with whole wheat tortillas - deli meats, cream cheese, mashed avocado, veggies, even fruits (think smoked turkey, cream cheese, and thin apple slices for example)

Asian-seasoned beef or chicken, lettuce and sprouts, etc, packed separately to make lettuce wraps.
Those are all great ideas. My son & i would love most of them.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

What does he say he likes? I think people have more buy in with brown bag lunch if they have participated in the planning and making of it. I'd encourage him to plan with you and help make it.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #6
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Will he take leftovers from the previous night's dinner?
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatmom View Post
What does he say he likes? I think people have more buy in with brown bag lunch if they have participated in the planning and making of it. I'd encourage him to plan with you and help make it.
Honestly its worse than pulling teeth. He asks me what his options are & then usually turns everything down just. I get frustrated but honestly don't think he is trying to be obstinate.

Just for clarification: this is for when we are gone for the day so we are not always eating at restaurants. He is retired as of this week & we plan on more day trips & outings with our little guy but want to cut costs. We will carry an cooler & drink cooler or thermos' for drinks. We won't generally have access to microwave & i don't want to have to cook/heat in the AM. He will grumble if he has to do it. He is not a bad guy...just works of service are difinitely his love language & just a wee bit about his mom doing all of that for him/his dad while growing up..

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

If he thinks they are supposed to be hot, he wants them hot. So that eliminates many leftovers. It took forever to convince him he wouldn't die if he eats a piece of leftover chicken as a sandwich.

He will eat various veggies but if his experience is with only cooked he is not going to try them raw (is broccoli).
The Following User Says Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (05-10-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

We like homemade lunchables - lunch meat slices, cheese slices and crackers and add fruit like grapes and maybe some cookies.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (05-09-2016), Quiteria (05-10-2016), rjy9343 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, gotcha. I like the lunchable idea. We make sandwiches and then other random things. Fruit, veggies and dip, cheese. Muffins? Quesadillas?
Do you ever read the 100 days of real food blog? She blogs about what she puts in her kids' lunches. I bet you'd get some good ideas there. We also have her cookbook, and she has a whole section of lunch ideas. A lot of them would be easy to take on the road. She makes soups and takes them in a thermos too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (05-09-2016), Quiteria (05-10-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza View Post
Ahhh, gotcha. I like the lunchable idea. We make sandwiches and then other random things. Fruit, veggies and dip, cheese. Muffins? Quesadillas?
Do you ever read the 100 days of real food blog? She blogs about what she puts in her kids' lunches. I bet you'd get some good ideas there. We also have her cookbook, and she has a whole section of lunch ideas. A lot of them would be easy to take on the road. She makes soups and takes them in a thermos too.
I follow her on FB. Love her lunches for her kids. In the fall we do thermos & heated foods for cooler days but have only done a few. We like homemade hot pockets. I need to.make some of those. Thanks for the reminder for that.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #11
esperanza
Rose Garden

Good call! Or calzones (probably similar to what you make). She has a lot of good ideas. You can just make more of it all to feed an adult man.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #12
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Lemon rice is good and I don't think it seems like it needs to be hot. I like it with garbanzo beans but I don't know if he would like that or not.

Pizza rolls are good, too. Make them like cinnamon rolls but use pizza sauce, toppings, cheese, etc.

would he like tuna salad or chicken salad sandwiches made with yogurt instead of mayo?

We like a salad that has spaghetti soaked in teriyaki sauce, romaine lettuce and/or spinach, mandarin oranges, cucumber slices, and chow mein noodles.

A mix of tomatoes, corn, black beans, and avocadoes with some cilantro is good to eat with corn chips as a dip. You can put a little lime juice on it, too, and that keeps the avocadoes from turning brown.

Savory muffins and savory cookies are yummy.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #13
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Lemon rice is good and I don't think it seems like it needs to be hot. I like it with garbanzo beans but I don't know if he would like that or not.

Pizza rolls are good, too. Make them like cinnamon rolls but use pizza sauce, toppings, cheese, etc.

would he like tuna salad or chicken salad sandwiches made with yogurt instead of mayo?

We like a salad that has spaghetti soaked in teriyaki sauce, romaine lettuce and/or spinach, mandarin oranges, cucumber slices, and chow mein noodles.

A mix of tomatoes, corn, black beans, and avocadoes with some cilantro is good to eat with corn chips as a dip. You can put a little lime juice on it, too, and that keeps the avocadoes from turning brown.

Savory muffins and savory cookies are yummy.
good ideas. The pizza rolls would probably be a good option. I alreadymake a fiesta salad that sounds like your bean dish. Using yogurt probably wouldnt go over with him but its a good alternative for me & little one.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #14
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

What about some anti- pasta ?
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PeasInAPod View Post
What about some anti- pasta ?
I could probably make that work. Little man is obsesed with samples & that would fit in perfect with his idea & making choices hubs likes shouldn't be too difficult.