Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
breezy88
Climbing Rose

breezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant future
Default Peaceful home impossible?

I cannot get the house to stay clean. I am not talking about dusting, mopping etc. I am talking about clean clothes, clean dishes, and not having stuff all over every surface including the floor. How can it even be accomplished? I am tired of living this way.

Mommy to 4 little girls
Remembering 3 babes in heaven.

breezy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to breezy88 For This Useful Post:
mommychem (11-17-2014)
The Following User Says they are praying for breezy88:
backtobasicsmum (11-16-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peaceful home impossible?

So I might be the wrong person to answer this, since while I manage to have clean clothes all the time, they're not always put away. And the surfaces are usually cluttered... But having routines in place helps. When I have the routines, things improve. When I don't have them, they get worse.

Do you have routines that are working for you? For that matter, do you have routines that clearly *aren't* working for you that maybe need to be tweaked?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
breezy88 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Your kids are liiiitle. It's so hard for one person to do it all with littles in the house. IMO, Dad needs to be involved. If he can fold & put away clothes before bed & empty the dishwasher before leaving for work, that would make a huge dent in your workload.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Carini (11-16-2014), homesteadmama (11-16-2014), Hopetobe (11-16-2014), Llee (11-16-2014), mamacat (11-16-2014), mommychem (11-17-2014), ValiantJoy07 (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Same boat. So tired of trying and failing to do what I see as basic stuff. And thinking that other people are somehow able to but I'm not.

Getting rid of anything that could possibly be deemed clutter is helping a lot though

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Enlist dh to do 3 basic things a week.

Here it is:
1. Unload the dishwasher every morning before work (and make sure it got run before heading to bed, I generally can take care of this-but if we have a rough day he does it before heading to bed)
2. Trash
3. Feed kids breakfast 7 days a week. (we're on a very strict diet that requires tons of extra cooking, this is an absolute sanity saver).

The other things that have helped me are..
*No toys in formal living room (I have one place that is sacred)..I have to be proactive with this one, but it makes a world of difference.
*FOOD IS ONLY IN THE KITCHEN. They have to eat at the kitchen table or they can't eat.
*if it is landing on the floor more than being played with it gets packed away or locked up for special requests play only. I walk through the house twice a day with a laundry basket and pick up everything that isn't where it should be. I set it aside and when I get a chance I put everything back where it goes. Most often this is toys the kids carried up to their room or clothes that got stripped off mid play, or random on-site that got carried off to the family room to be used as toys.

My house isn't perfect. but I can keep it feeling mostly under control most of the week.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (11-16-2014), Contented in FL (11-16-2014), mamacat (11-16-2014), Virginia (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

What are you doing currently for laundry and dishes? Do you have a dishwasher? I have 3 piles of dirty clothing in our laundry room - could use baskets of you like. One dark blues and blacks and grays,one greens browns reds pink and khaki, onw very light or white.When I get up ih morning I try to start a load of the one that has biggest amount. Then next time go into kitchen put it in dryer and start another load if enough. Then another time go into kitchen bring out and put on couch. Then I put on Price is Right and fold laundry - making a stack according to each fam member which is 4 right now.If you have kids old enough they can help sort socks and clothing by fam members and they can bring you dried clothing to fold.I also taught mine to shift wet laundry into dryer and will tell them which setting.Kids then take their stacks back to bedroo and put away. I do this every day - not a designated laundry day. We have no dishwasher right now so mainly I wash and try to do one sink side at a time. Getting kids used to at least rinsing of and stacking utensils and plates and bowls helps a lot so you dont end up with dried on food.my teens dont remember to do that always so start when they are young!Even littles can do that if they can reach sink.Littles can put away things like silverware. Olders can unload dishwasher.I try to wash things as go along like rinsing off knife and carrot peeler right after using and popping in dish drainerinstead of letting carrot peels harden on.A lot of pts like used for steaming bvegies can be washed out right away like that too. I rarely do a whole sudsy water in sink ind of dishwashing

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Carini
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

If you don't stop naming nuts....

Carini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Peaceful home impossible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
Enlist dh to do 3 basic things a week.

Here it is:

1. Unload the dishwasher every morning before work (and make sure it got run before heading to bed, I generally can take care of this-but if we have a rough day he does it before heading to bed)

2. Trash

3. Feed kids breakfast 7 days a week. (we're on a very strict diet that requires tons of extra cooking, this is an absolute sanity saver).

The other things that have helped me are..

*No toys in formal living room (I have one place that is sacred)..I have to be proactive with this one, but it makes a world of difference.

*FOOD IS ONLY IN THE KITCHEN. They have to eat at the kitchen table or they can't eat.

*if it is landing on the floor more than being played with it gets packed away or locked up for special requests play only. I walk through the house twice a day with a laundry basket and pick up everything that isn't where it should be. I set it aside and when I get a chance I put everything back where it goes. Most often this is toys the kids carried up to their room or clothes that got stripped off mid play, or random on-site that got carried off to the family room to be used as toys.

My house isn't perfect. but I can keep it feeling mostly under control most of the week.

I second this. Dh helps here a lot. I'm not sure if that's an option for you but I need dh to help and I only have 2 kids.

It's funny, dh does exactly these things here too. Dishwasher, trash and breakfast everyday. Even for me.

And I do no toys in the main living room - only playroom. And also food only in the kitchen.

One biggie here is hats, jackets and shoes. Once those are in their place I feel better too. I have a huge shoe holder on the back of the closet door and hooks for jackets that DD (4) can reach.

But yes, your kids are so young.

ISTJ
Wife to J - 2004
Doops - 10/2010
Sweetie Girl - 7/2014

Last edited by Carini; 11-16-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carini For This Useful Post:
Virginia (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

My house stays clean now (mostly) because my kids are old enough to help make it happen... Before recently for-get-it
Carini (11-16-2014), mamacat (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

You have several VERY little ones right now so much of what I shared would have to be done by you and or dh. If you could get him to take some part in laundry routine like starting a load of wash for you before he leaves in morning. I dont use hampers either.That actually helps.After I change clothing me or kids will just gather up the dirties and take right into the laundry room and put in appropriate color pile.If littles or anyone have food stuff on clothes will take my all purpose spray bottle of cleaner and spray the spots before throwing on dirty pile.That cleaner is usually water and a small amount of dish soap and a squirt of peroxide or vinegar.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I also found with super tiny ones in the house, or during dumping stages, that there were certain toys that had to be put out of reach for a time. Our giant bins of blocks were culled down to just one small bin of 26 blocks that was almost always dumped out and left in mid play.

Toys or play things that are constantly dumped out and picked through are culled down by half to enable easier less overwhelming clean up times. If they're in a "empty all the shelves" stage I leave one small basket of books where they can reach it and try to move all books higher and more out of reach.

There are tweaks to cut down on clutter. But when you have little ones there will always be a mess. I left for the day yesterday, and the kids were home with my Mom. The house looks like a bomb went off. None of my normal rules were held to. (this wasn't my Mom being disrespectful, this was her trying to get stuff done with them and she hasn't had them since last spring and frogot the power of dd2 )

I try to contain the messes to certain zones where I can, and find what makes me feel the least chaotic. I hate clutter so I scoop it all into a basket and even if the basket gets piled higher and higher over 2 days until I get around to putting it all away? I still feel more peaceful.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
mamacat
Rose Garden

VJ had some great ideas.2nd bout the toys.Would not even let them have free access to all the toys.Maybe a few larger ones like a play kitchen but then bring the rest out one at a time.Like have a big block or duplo time and then they go away.Even very littles can make a game of tossing back into their baskets or containers. I hav a dh that is a stacker but if you have one that will cooperate it helps to try and not leave stuff on surfaces nd to throw trash away right away

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Virginia (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

At your kids ages . . . I couldn't do it. So my best advice is hang in til they are older.

What I did do at that stage was divide everything into priorities (I still do this, just my priority chunks are much bigger).

So my first priority when I had 2 under 2 was dishes then laundry. Thats it. Dishes & laundry. I didnt look at or focus on anything else. Rather than oh no, look at this disaster I *just* thought are the dishes done & laundry being done? If the answer was anything just yes, I focused on that.

Then once I got a handle, next was kitchen & dining room floor. So in this way I had rooms (the toy room) that was a disaster for weeks on end, but I didnt think about it. Didnt worry about it.

I also have little things that help - for example I never put down a piece of paper on the counter - I sort it & put it into its place. So if that means getting the mail AFTER bedtime or only when the kids are outside & occupied - but I wouldnt even take it out of the mailbox if I would just put it down. And I have a garage can AND a recycle bin in the garage - so junk wont even come in.

Another suggestion is flylady. I tried it & liked the way she organized. Ultimately, it wasnt for me bc I did something similar (like instead of the sink, my thing was dishes & laundry). But that might be worth a try. & I never bothered with the big binder.

But mostly - going back to my first point. Your kids are little. It DOES get much easier.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (11-16-2014), mommychem (11-17-2014), Virginia (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

I live by the saying "my home is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy". Bathroom clean? Nothing growing out of the kitchen sink? I done good!

Getting rid of clutter that isn't an absolute must-have can help.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (11-16-2014), mommychem (11-17-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
mamacat
Rose Garden

not even mentioned but finally somewhat conquered bathroom monster by just doing everdaay cleanups when go in to use.Swishing out toilet with brush and hand soap 1 x a day using wipe on handle seat and around rim and a wipe around sink and faucet area. Instead of massive bathroom cleaning - tub flors etc.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 11-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, your youngest is definitely at an age of scattering things all over the place. That will improve with time, especially with teaching. My almost 2-year-old is better about this now than he was six months ago. In that he doesn't get out Tupperware and scatter it all over the floor, for example.

Relocate things you need to relocate. For example our saran wrap and ziplocs are on a high shelf in the pantry now instead of being in a drawer. Cabinets under sinks either have a baby-proof lock or else they are completely empty. My back-of-the-pantry-door organizer has all the shelves up high (I had them evenly-spaced for ages before I realized that would be a good idea).

Make sure everything has a place to be and that kids can put away as much as possible by themselves (kid-height coat hooks, shoe shelves, etc.)

Declutter declutter declutter! This will help tremendously!

Whenever I need to I do what I call a big sort. I gather everything that isn't where it goes from everywhere in the house to one room (I wouldn't do this with clothes, toys in the playroom, or dishes- things that are specifically obviously supposed to be in one room and are already in that room- but this is all the papers, books, shoes, mittens, mail, anything that isn't where it goes. I sort into four piles- upstairs, main floor, downstairs, and garage. Then I go put the things where they go. At this point I only have to do this about once a week but I've been in stages where it was more often. And it's usually something I do after more general tidying- so for example I'd put all the toys that were already in the playroom away, then gather things that don't even go in that room.

People always tell you to let it go when you have littles but I really can't function in a cluttered environment and I have to address it or I feel like I'm going to go crazy.

If you can't do everything, pick one room to keep picked up so you have one peaceful place.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (11-16-2014), mamacat (11-16-2014), ValiantJoy07 (11-16-2014)