Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Instant Pot for Newbies

I got an Instant Pot for Christmas!

I watched one video and learned a ton more than I did reading the manual

What is your favorite trick or thing to do in your Instant Pot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Instant Pot for Newbies

I LOVE my instant pot and use it ALL the time.

My best advice is to actually do the water test first. Not that it itself is important, but more that the process of doing that really helped me to feel comfortable with how the pot actually functions so I had a better grip on what to expect, what is normal, and what isn't. I think I would have stressed out had there been real food that cost real money in there the first time.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-22-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

What's the water test?

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

It's in the manual. You basically put water in the pot and do a test run.

If you google, a lot of blogs and youtube videos come up explaining it too.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I say if you are going to do the water test you may as well make hard boiled eggs.

I've been making chicken "fried" rice in it lately which is easy and convenient. We make rice a lot. I also make stew and one great thing is that I can brown 4 pounds of Hamburger at once without standing at the stove with a spatula and no draining the grease!
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-23-2017), graciousmomma (01-21-2017), Quiteria (02-27-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't do the water test, I just made rice as a test. The more you use it, the easier it gets but the first few times can be a little baffling.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't do the water test either

I love making hard boiled eggs in there. They peel so much easier than doing it the normal way!

I cook crock pot soups a lot in there and get the same results in much less time. My favorite is butternut squash soup.

I have made refried beans in there a few times as well - they turn out so well!

I do a lot of chicken in there, too.
Quiteria (02-27-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 04:56 AM   #8
2sunshines

Yea, I realize I'm in the minority of people who actually do the test. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist with my cooking devices. As in, I also actually read the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
I didn't do the water test, I just made rice as a test. The more you use it, the easier it gets but the first few times can be a little baffling.
THIS is why I did the test. I was baffled a few times during the water test. Just surprised at some things like how long it took to get up to pressure, etc. I was glad that my baffle happened when there was no food in there to worry about messing up. But again, for me, that comes back down to my food perfectionism.

All that to say, once I get comfortable with an appliance, I follow no rules ever. All recipes and cooking rules become guidelines to me. I wing pretty much everything I put in the IP now and it all comes out amazing!

Whatever you do, you'll get a hang of it quickly! Like everyone else said, the first few times can be a bit of a learning curve but you will very quickly become a pro!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (02-27-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I did the water test!!

For hard boiled eggs, I add 1 cup water, the little rack, and about 18 eggs. Manual for 6 minutes, quick release, then an ice bath. Perfect!

Pot roast is pretty awesome in the IP. 1 Tbsp oil. Saute "adjust more." Wait until the display reads "Hot." Put the roast in to sear it, 5-10 minutes per side. Then add 1 c broth, 1 Tbsp tamari, 1 Tbsp fish sauce, and whatever other seasonings you like. Manual pressure for 45 mintues for a 3 lb roast.

Jasmine rice: Rinse the rice well. Put in equal amount water and rice. Manual pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release. (If you don't rinse the rice you'll need more water.)

For quinoa, rinse it well, and cook for only ONE MINUTE.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-22-2017), bananacake (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #10
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Striving to be a gentle mama and enjoying my littles.

BriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond repute

I received one for Christmas too and it scares me My fear is that it will explode and the noises freak me out. I've used it three times so far. The meat is so tender!!

Mama to J - 11, J - 9, & A - 5
&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
BriansLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BriansLovie For This Useful Post:
bananacake (01-24-2017)
The Following User Says they are praying for BriansLovie:
bananacake (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a difference between an instant pot and a pressure cooker, or is it the same? I have a pressure cooker my mom bought for me that I never use because it scares me too, but my mom used to make the best roasts in one.
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurlor View Post
Is there a difference between an instant pot and a pressure cooker, or is it the same? I have a pressure cooker my mom bought for me that I never use because it scares me too, but my mom used to make the best roasts in one.
same thing

instant pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
2sunshines

Instant pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker, however, it has 6 additional (or 5 additional if you buy the 6in1) features in it. The pressure cooker part is just 1 of the features, although the main selling point of it.

Also from what I understand the Instant Pot implemented additional safety measures that previous pressure cookers did not. But I truly don't know any details about what those are or if they really are more safe than other brands or if it's a sales gimmick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (01-23-2017), Quiteria (02-27-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurlor View Post
It's a programmable pressure cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, and slow cooker.

I may buy a second one, eventually. I use mine for rice as often as I use it for a pressure cooker.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
bananacake (01-24-2017), Laurlor (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #15
greendelight
Rose Trellis

greendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant future

Mine is still sitting in the box!
greendelight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greendelight For This Useful Post:
bananacake (01-24-2017), Quiteria (02-27-2017)