Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
Proverbs3Rubies
Deactivated

Proverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to all
Question Polenta?! Cooking Challenge Accepted!!!

I passed a few recipes using polenta on Pinterest, so I thought I'd pick up a tube of organic polenta at Trader Joes to force myself to try something different (and veg friendly for DH.)

Before I blindly choose a recipe, what are your favorite way(s) to fix it up?

And I will most likely have the pizza guy on speed dial that night.
Proverbs3Rubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Polenta?! Cooking Challenge Accepted!!!

I've just cut it into thin slices and then pan-fried it, and drizzled a sauce made of olive oil and a "pizza spice mix" overtop.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

BlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond repute

A tube of polenta? I'm so confused. Polenta comes as a grainy packet here.

I love to cook it with milk, like porridge, and eat it with copious amounts of butter and sugar. Yum!

Mum used to cook it with water and set it in a container to cool, then cut it into slices and pan-fry it and serve it with gravy-based dishes to soak up the gravy. I much prefer the buttery-sugary version.

In the search for community which combines a love of our Creator with a love of raising children gently.

Echidna, 7.5yo: "Does icebergs (aspergers) mean lots of lego?"
BlissfullyEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyEsther View Post
A tube of polenta? I'm so confused. Polenta comes as a grainy packet here.
Yeah, here you can get it pre-cooked in a plastic sleeve. It's quite convenient if you want to serve it fried!
Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

I thought the title said placenta and was intrigued! I know nothing about polenta, so carry on.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
BlissfullyEsther (07-15-2014), Carini (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Proverbs3Rubies
Deactivated

Proverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to allProverbs3Rubies is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
I thought the title said placenta and was intrigued! I know nothing about polenta, so carry on.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

BlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
Yeah, here you can get it pre-cooked in a plastic sleeve. It's quite convenient if you want to serve it fried!
I will never cease to be amazed at what can be bought precooked over there. My in-laws went travelling in the US and told us about buying boiled eggs at the shops. It's all quite bizarre to me!

In the search for community which combines a love of our Creator with a love of raising children gently.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Proverbs3Rubies
Deactivated

Quote:
I will never cease to be amazed at what can be bought precooked over there. My in-laws went travelling in the US and told us about buying boiled eggs at the shops. It's all quite bizarre to me!

😁

That must be why we are the healthiest nation in the world!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs3Rubies View Post
😁

Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

Quote:
😁

Ah yes, that's it. Silly me.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
Of course we know who to poke when we want a thread about cooking placenta.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlissfullyEsther For This Useful Post:
Proverbs3Rubies (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Quote:
I passed a few recipes using polenta on Pinterest, so I thought I'd pick up a tube of organic polenta at Trader Joes to force myself to try something different (and veg friendly for DH.)

Before I blindly choose a recipe, what are your favorite way(s) to fix it up?

And I will most likely have the pizza guy on speed dial that night.
OOOOOOooooookay, so poor P3R is probably in despair of her actual question getting answered.

I actually went on a hunt for polenta recipes recently, because I never ever ate it growing up, but last time I googlechatted my Bro and SIL, they were having polenta for dinner, and then it was stuck in my head. So here are some yummy looking recipes that *I cannot vouch for*, I have not made them. Yet.

http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-baked-...-tomato-sauce/
http://realfoodfamily.com/food/recip...e-gluten-free/
http://mobile.seriouseats.com/recipe...es-recipe.html
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/290693350920288226/
http://www.marthastewart.com/900641/...tichoke-hearts
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

Quote:
OOOOOOooooookay, so poor P3R is probably in despair of her actual question getting answered.
I totally answered her question before I derailed her thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlissfullyEsther For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #13
Proverbs3Rubies
Deactivated

Quote:
I totally answered her question before I derailed her thread.
Hahaha!
I enjoy the derailments! I do! I do!

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Quote:

I actually went on a hunt for polenta recipes recently, because I never ever ate it growing up, but last time I googlechatted my Bro and SIL, they were having polenta for dinner, and then it was stuck in my head. So here are some yummy looking recipes that *I cannot vouch for*, I have not made them. Yet.

http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-baked-...-tomato-sauce/
http://realfoodfamily.com/food/recip...e-gluten-free/
http://mobile.seriouseats.com/recipe...es-recipe.html
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/290693350920288226/
http://www.marthastewart.com/900641/...tichoke-hearts
Thank you m'love!

My tubed polenta should be packed with enough preservatives to last until nuclear winter (yay health! ), so I shall be going through this list in the next couple of days!
(Now I need to really go look at the ingredients list bc I was so stoked at the tube that I didn't check!!! )

And PLACENTA:
I'll definitely be playing with mine in one form or another for baby #3.
Stay tuned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Proverbs3Rubies For This Useful Post:
Kiara.I (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

So you bough dried polenta or ready made polenta?

Polenta is one of our staples aftergoing gluten free here. We eat it with maranara sause, mushrooms and baked eggplant.

Alten brown has a great aseago polenta - we are dairy free as well so I generally just cook it in chick broth and finish it with olive oil.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
Proverbs3Rubies
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
So you bough dried polenta or ready made polenta?

Polenta is one of our staples aftergoing gluten free here. We eat it with maranara sause, mushrooms and baked eggplant.

Alten brown has a great aseago polenta - we are dairy free as well so I generally just cook it in chick broth and finish it with olive oil.
It's cooked, organic in the pasta/grain section at Trader Joes.
(It looks like a big tube of Jimmy Deans sausage.)

Log-o-polenta: