Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Married to DH since 2009, Two ginger DS babies 2013/2015, Chihuahua mom, Forever Changed

Godslilgirl225 is on a distinguished road
Default Unschooling newbie alert!

My husband and I have always loved the idea of homeschooling. He went all his years at a public school. I however tasted a bitter strict homeschool environment followed by a rough click filled private school environment till 6th grade and then had many rude awakenings at public school till graduation. Both of us dreaded school and had anxiety about getting up and facing it daily. I am finding it stresses our 2year old as well as myself if I try to make something into a learning activity. He's learned his basic shapes & colors and is beginning to count just from spending time with us! And he loves to learn! Just in his own time in his own way.

That's unschooling right? We hang out with his favorite toys in his favorite areas doing his favorite things and he learns! But I'm feeling totally unsure about this path. How do I track his progress? How does he prove he's got the right information for state standards to get into college? Are there tests? Grades? Somebody give me some guidance here please I know he's really young but time flies and I don't want it to fly away from us unprepared!
Thanks!
The call to follow Christ is inextricably connected to the call to serve others in love. Who needs to experience the ministry of the body of Christ more than the insecure, the weak, and the helpless? Into our arms He delivers these new ones, and He is faithful to empower us to have all that we need to be His hands and feet to them." Spirit-Led Parenting
Godslilgirl225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unschooling newbie alert!

We're unschooling! It has just evolved that way. I'm only a few years ahead of you, but last year, we had DS1 evaluated by a professional who herself had unschooled her kids. She said he was on track

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Love_Is_Patient
Rose Trellis

Love_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is don't try to get ahead of yourself. I personally found that thinking of myself as 'unschooling' worked great for preschoolers/kindergarten ages, and we slowly evolved into using more assigned curriculum as my kids got older, but we're still pretty relaxed.

Don't stress about college when you've got 2-yr-old. Don't try to start schooling when you've got a 2-yr-old either. Just enjoy them, enjoy answering questions, exploring things, watching them discover things. As they get closer to school-age (by which I mean 5-6), evaluate how you'd like to structure their early elementary years. As they move through those, look at the later elementary years. For us, I'm doing things differently for my 4th grader than I would have expected 5 years ago. But that's okay--I can see what he needs/is ready for at this age now; I couldn't have predicted it when he was 5.
arelyn (05-20-2015), Godslilgirl225 (05-22-2015), Kiara.I (05-22-2015), mamacat (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
Godslilgirl225
Rose Blossom

Married to DH since 2009, Two ginger DS babies 2013/2015, Chihuahua mom, Forever Changed

Godslilgirl225 is on a distinguished road

Thank you I do tend to get ahead of myself. I also always have to have all the answers for my very particular extended family. But I will take your advice I don't need to answer to anybody!
The call to follow Christ is inextricably connected to the call to serve others in love. Who needs to experience the ministry of the body of Christ more than the insecure, the weak, and the helpless? Into our arms He delivers these new ones, and He is faithful to empower us to have all that we need to be His hands and feet to them." Spirit-Led Parenting
Godslilgirl225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

it is sad to me that our society has changed so much that now people can start feeling pressured about making school decisons when the kids are still babes! I know that is so because the expected "norm" for many now includes starting Preschooll at age 3 . Used to be that you at least had until age 5 - 6 for questions to start being asked. Agree with what Loveispatient advised and if relatives are asking would just tell them you have plenty of years to make those kinds of decsions

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Godslilgirl225 (05-23-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslilgirl225 View Post
I am finding it stresses our 2year old as well as myself if I try to make something into a learning activity. He's learned his basic shapes & colors and is beginning to count just from spending time with us! And he loves to learn! Just in his own time in his own way.

That's unschooling right? We hang out with his favorite toys in his favorite areas doing his favorite things and he learns!
Nope, that's parenting a toddler.

If you're doing that at 7, or 10, or 13...that's unschooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslilgirl225 View Post
But I'm feeling totally unsure about this path. How do I track his progress? How does he prove he's got the right information for state standards to get into college? Are there tests? Grades? Somebody give me some guidance here please I know he's really young but time flies and I don't want it to fly away from us unprepared!
Thanks!
Time doesn't fly THAT fast, though.
I'm homeschooling an about-to-be 3rd grader and I have NO idea how to handle high school. Nor do I care. I will care around grade 6, probably, in a "hmmm....I should start paying a bit of attention now, I guess..." kind of way.

In the meantime, take a deep breath, tell yourself that "there's always adult entry to a community college and then he can transfer wherever he wants on the strength of his grades" and then stop thinking about it.

And like the others said, don't lock yourself into "knowing" that you're unschooling. You might do that. Or you might not! Or you might casually drift into some more traditional-type curriculum... A toddlers reaction to structured learning probably doesn't accurately reflect a 6-year-old's reaction to structured learning.

The one thing you want to do right now, probably, is to look up the laws that apply to homeschooling for your state/province/country. Start to figure out what options you will have, and at what age you are required to have chosen them. That way, if you do get asked by family or friends, you can confidently reply that schooling isn't mandatory until x age, so you'll make a decision for your child closer to that time. Now, isn't he cute when he....(and move the conversation away.)

And that way, you can start to assess what the options *will be* when he's x age, and let them burble around in your mind. Don't feel pressured to decide on which one! Just let them burble. Probably after they've done that for a couple of years you'll be pretty confident in which one you want to try first. Because remember--just because you TRY one style/curriculum/reporting structure, whatever, doesn't mean you're stuck with it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Godslilgirl225 (05-23-2015), MercyInDisguise (05-25-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

We unschool

I would first, relax! What would be unschooling an older child, as others have pointed out, is simply parenting a toddler normally. I wouldn't recommend doing anything academic with a 2 year old unless they were clearly wanting to. I had hyperlexia and was reading before I was 3 years old by my own insistence (and my mom's willingness to provide instruction where needed), but that is NOT normal.

Most 2 year olds need to be playing and using their imaginations and learning how to talk and use their muscles.

This is a good article about some of the physical things children should master before they're ready to begin learning how to read - http://movementacademyproject.com/20...susan-johnson/

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is four now and we plan to unschool. What I'm doing now is getting to know some unschooling families and just enjoying time with them And you don't have to explain or justify anything to extended family. It's not their business
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
joyful

We are unschoolers...though, I must admit I am not keen on having a 'label' for what we do - we just love to live life and the children joyfully and naturally learn lots as they go along .

You might find this blog post helpful http://happinessishereblog.com/2015/...g-educational/