Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to lower blood pressure?

Great, thank you Do you have any info on how this diet works for the long term? I have noticed that many kinds of diets yield positive results for a period of a few weeks or months, but then the body adjusts and goes back to its original problems even if subjects remain faithful to the diet.

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #17
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Great, thank you Do you have any info on how this diet works for the long term? I have noticed that many kinds of diets yield positive results for a period of a few weeks or months, but then the body adjusts and goes back to its original problems even if subjects remain faithful to the diet.
What diets have you heard of like this? People maintain long-term health on this diet for many decades.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #18
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

Good, thanks. And it's essentially a fat-free vegan diet, right?

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #19
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz

rcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to all

I found this post really helpful. It focuses on things other than diet/exercise both of which are important but this has some other things to consider. (broken before .com)
http://kellythekitchenkop .com/natural-methods-for-lowering-blood-pressure-can-you-really-not-outrun-genetics-plus-our-visit-to-the-emergency-room/
rcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rcsmom For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #20
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Fwiw, I have come to the conclusion that you really can't mix higher carb with higher fat without health issues.

Sugar and processed foods being bad for health is something that both sides of the whole food movement can agree on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
bananacake (04-03-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #21
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I've come to the conclusion that Americans over-think food.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
bananacake (04-03-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #22
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Does high blood pressure run in his family? I have it and it is in my family and I have tried various diets and nothing has helped. I take meds and they have side effects. I would love to get off meds. I plan to try a better diet again soon, but I don't know that it will help.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (04-03-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #23
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Good, thanks. And it's essentially a fat-free vegan diet, right?
It's a very low fat vegan diet. There are small amounts of fat in everything (wheat, oatmeal, bananas) but no added fat, no animal products, and no high-fat plant foods like tofu or nuts.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 04:37 AM   #24
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

If there is a sport or physical hobby he could pick up I would really encourage him to work that into his schedule. I have seen that be a total game changer for stressed out people. Especially something he can do outdoors in the sunshine.

Does he get enough magnesium, or supplement with it?

Also does he snore, has he ever had a sleep study done? Sleep apnea can run in families and have a connection to blood pressure problems and heart disease.

Last edited by HomeWithMyBabies; 04-03-2015 at 06:15 AM. Reason: clarity
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-03-2015), Taedareth (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 04:58 AM   #25
ctab
Rose Bouquet

ctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to behold

A diet change might help, but if he doesn't deal with his stress levels I doubt much is going to change. One of the things I like about Paleo Mom is that she emphasizes that sleep, stress levels, and fitness have just as much to do with our health as food does.

I don't know how to fix his stress issues, but I would say it probably needs to be addressed pronto.
baby #4 due June 2015
ctab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ctab For This Useful Post:
HomeWithMyBabies (04-03-2015), Taedareth (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #26
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

Mcdougall is worth a try.

An alternative to the Mcdougall diet is Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Also plant-based, but included a little added fat in the form of nuts and seeds, and can be 5-10% certain animal products for those who have a hard time with vegan.

A more moderate plan that has been shown to lower blood pressure is the DASH diet (Dietary Approach to Hypertension): http://dashdiet.org

The nurse who said there is no benefit to exercise unless it is longer and more intense is so wrong. There are so many benefits to regular exercise, affects on blood pressure being but one. Maybe it's true that if walking for thirty minutes a day is all you do, it won't make your health problems all go away. But it's certainly beneficial and it's an important part of improving and maintaining health.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teamommy For This Useful Post:
Katigre (04-03-2015), Taedareth (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #27
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamommy View Post
Mcdougall is worth a try.

An alternative to the Mcdougall diet is Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Also plant-based, but included a little added fat in the form of nuts and seeds, and can be 5-10% certain animal products for those who have a hard time with vegan.

A more moderate plan that has been shown to lower blood pressure is the DASH diet (Dietary Approach to Hypertension): http://dashdiet.org

The nurse who said there is no benefit to exercise unless it is longer and more intense is so wrong. There are so many benefits to regular exercise, affects on blood pressure being but one. Maybe it's true that if walking for thirty minutes a day is all you do, it won't make your health problems all go away. But it's certainly beneficial and it's an important part of improving and maintaining health.
I think Fuhrman is good if you can stay on it. I had a hard time with it because I was so hungry all the time.

DASH can work some but when you compare it to McDougall it doesn't help anywhere near as much.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
teamommy (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #28
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Magnesium, definitely. Epsom salt baths or foot soaks, magnesium spray (there are lots of bloggers with recipes or you can buy it) on the soles of the feet or into the mouth, or my favorite mag supplement, ReMag. It's $30 for a 90-day supply.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (04-03-2015)