Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #16
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me improve out kitchen lighting ... fixtures?

DH works at Home Depot and watches the clearance all the time... yes we have a habitat for humanity store. We used it almost exclusively to repaint our old rooms. Didn’t bother choosing colors. Went to the store and found ones that weren’t tacky

Dh uses Facebook marketplace and I use Craigslist heavily which is why we don’t have a table yet .

I LOVE our counter w stools (we call that a breakfast bar). It’s another reason I want these lights cuz I can barely write in my planner on dreary days . Behind that counter is my sink and more counter space abt 12 inches below. I am often doing dishes and talking to the person sitting at the breakfast bar or doing some food prep as I put my crockpot on that section of counters

IF we had better light I’d adore my kitchen (except the fridge I hate that too but I force myself to adjust- I don’t like a side by side fridge. I prefer up and down).

Yes 2sunshines, I think our new house is going to be one we work on in the winter. We downsized quite a bit in square footage for a larger lot outside of the city so we will be outside and working on outside during the nice days.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty-two View Post
Also, if you want LED bulbs (either warm or daylight), avoid totally enclosed fixtures, because you aren't supposed to use LED bulbs in them.
Random OT:

What? Seriously? Why have I not heard this?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #18
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
Random OT:

I am glad I am not the only one who this was new information to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #19
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

While your looking, I would see if you can fit a desk lamp on that counter, or floor lamp in the nearest room or the corner to the right of the window. Only as a temporary I-can't-stand-this-another-day solution to help limp by while shopping and installing. Maybe a SADD light on the counter even...I have a flat one I'm thinking about propping against the kitchen backsplash somehow to shine on me while doing kitchen tasks, or even rigging something to dangle it at a higher angle. Not like anyone's going to see it in 2020, as we try to prioritize getting enough light to feel more inspired on finding a prettier solution.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #20
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

4 Globe Track Lighting Wall or Ceiling Mount Light Fixture, Brushed Nickel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SYUBZAM..._SpM1FbSHEJ7GZ

Hunter Builder Indoor Low Profile Ceiling Fan with LED Light and Pull Chain C... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDGC6EG..._usM1Fb5GBS64E

Progress Lighting P4735-09 Transitional Five Light Chandelier from Gather Col... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AISG8W2..._5sM1FbHQKB49H

I bought these cuz I just couldn’t handle looking forever. And DH weighed in and said he wanted a ceiling fan in the kitchen ... .

But yes Q, I’m temporarily leaving every light in the house on. and yes I have a pole lamp close by ... our first electric Bill and the lower cost of New fixtures in energy usage and walking around turning lights off and then I turn them back on has DH willing to buy this and not keep looking clearance and other resale/recycle

He will keep looking for the other fixtures we want to replace LOL it’s what I wanted for Christmas.

2 come this week and one will arrive the 29th!!!

A funny- I’m guessing the first water bill will mean we replace the only ancient appliance in the house (dishwasher) we had all HE appliances and lightbulbs at the old house

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I am glad I am not the only one who this was new information to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I just told DH that . And I went searching cuz I was curious LOL .
https://oeo.com/cant-use-certain-led...osed-fixtures/

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 12-13-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #21
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Random OT:

I learned from reading the fine print on the LED light bulb box.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #22
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I learned from reading the fine print on the LED light bulb box.
I'm trying to read my box of LEDs right now. Print is too small

Quiteria (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #23
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Random OT:

Actually you can. You have to look at the package and see if the bulbs are designed to be used in enclosed fixtures. Same for dimmer switches. Some LED bulbs can be used in enclosed fixtures, some can't. Some can be used with a dimmer, some can't.

In a search, use "LED bulb enclosed fixture rated" to find bulbs.

I used to help customers find bulbs at Home Depot regularly.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Jodi, for your breakfast bar I'd get some pendant lights that you love. Ones that can take a dimmer for evening.

For above your eventual booth, you can look for a chandelier that will accommodate hanging away from the electrical mount (or whatever it's called). Most can accommodate this. I think it will look great in that space!

I totally get not wanting to do the work of can lights. If it were all on me, nope, wouldn't do it. I absolutely love lights mounted on the top of cabinets and also underneath. Gives off lots of light without glare. Did you say you already have some but they're not bright enough?

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Also, have you considered wall sconces? We have them in our stairwell and bedroom. Also great for light without glare. I cannot picture them in a kitchen but that doesn't mean they wouldn't work.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

I searched for "kitchen sconce lighting images" and found some great ideas. Most are vintage farmhouse chic but our sconces are modern. Might be an option for you.

BBC Lighting is amazing, if they're open.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

I missed your update. Ceiling fans are great in kitchens as so much heat is generated there. Plus you can get 4 bulbs and lots of light.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 12-13-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #24
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

I read my box all over. I didn't see any indication one way or the other if they could be used in enclosed fixtures.

Sorry to be off topic! I'm not a great expert at lighting and have nothing useful to add to the kitchen lights question.

I hope the ones you picked out change the whole room for you!

Old 12-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #25
forty-two
Rose Garden

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Actually you can. You have to look at the package and see if the bulbs are designed to be used in enclosed fixtures.
They really exist? After looking at every daylight led bulb I saw for over six months, I never found even one that said it was rated for enclosed fixtures. Best I ever found was one that merely said it would lessen the lifespan of the bulb instead of giving a flat no. Gave up hope of ever finding one .

But maybe it's a case of no *daylight* LEDs for fixed enclosures - wanting daylight definitely reduces your options .

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
knitlove (12-13-2020), tempus vernum (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #26
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They really exist? After looking at every daylight led bulb I saw for over six months, I never found even one that said it was rated for enclosed fixtures. Best I ever found was one that merely said it would lessen the lifespan of the bulb instead of giving a flat no. Gave up hope of ever finding one .

But maybe it's a case of no *daylight* LEDs for fixed enclosures - wanting daylight definitely reduces your options .

Here's one in daylight

Cree 60W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A19 Dimmable Exceptional Light Quality LED Light Bulb (2-Pack)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W...1-12/304006411

There are several images, including one of the back of the package where "good for enclosed use" is stated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (12-13-2020), tempus vernum (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #27
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I was originally looking at pendant lights but we’d have to rewire to accommodate them. I ended up also limited by the partial wall coming down above the from the top. It’s only 6 inch wide so .... I found so many things I wanted that I had to keep changing.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #28
forty-two
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Here's one in daylight

Cree 60W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A19 Dimmable Exceptional Light Quality LED Light Bulb (2-Pack)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W...1-12/304006411

There are several images, including one of the back of the package where "good for enclosed use" is stated.
Huh, wow - thanks .

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (12-14-2020), tempus vernum (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #29
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Huh, wow - thanks .
Electric was right next to garden at the Home Depot I worked at. I often had to help find bulbs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (12-14-2020), tempus vernum (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #30
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
I read my box all over. I didn't see any indication one way or the other if they could be used in enclosed fixtures.

Sorry to be off topic! I'm not a great expert at lighting and have nothing useful to add to the kitchen lights question.

I hope the ones you picked out change the whole room for you!

No worries. I’m fascinated. My husband also said it’s to brand. However I like daylight and shining down on me so I don’t like enclosed fixtures much