Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute
Default There's a fig tree in my yard!

What the heck am I supposed to do with it???

The stuff I can find online says they are edible and very sweet. It also says that the fruit should be dark purple when they are ripe. As soon as I confirmed they were edible, my kids are scarfing them and they are greenish/purple not dark purple yet. They ate them skin, seeds and all.

Anything I need to know about figs? Are stuffing themselves with partially ripened figs going to make them sick to their stomachs?

Can I bake with them? Utilize them in some way?
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There's a fig tree in my yard!

there are tons of things you can do with them! My neighbors have a big fig tree and all the kids congregate back there and stuff themselves silly, ripe figs or not. So far we've had no problems. And they do eat them skin, seeds & all. You can make yummy hors d'euvres (heh, I probably slaughtered that spelling) out of figs stuffed with goat cheese & pecans & wrapped in bacon.

Here are some recipes.
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poleidopy For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (07-05-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Synesthesia
Rose Garden

Synesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

The leaves make a modest covering for nudity.
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush, The Fog

Wielder of the Katana of Lepidoptera and General Randomness.
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Synesthesia For This Useful Post:
Ajani (07-05-2010), BeckaBlue (07-05-2010), BlessedBlue (07-05-2010), Can'tTurnLeft (07-05-2010), Chaos Coordinator (07-05-2010), curlymopmom (07-05-2010), duckwithoneleg (07-05-2010), Maggirayne (07-05-2010), Marrae (07-06-2010), poleidopy (07-05-2010), Quiteria (07-05-2010), shekinah (07-06-2010), Six Little Feet (07-05-2010), Virginia (08-24-2014), Wonder Woman (07-06-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Figs are great. I would encourage the kids to wait until they are riper, just because they are that much sweeter. I don't know that almost ripe figs will hurt them, but if they get tummy aches, that would be my first suspect.

As they get riper, they will need a very gentle hand to pick them or they will fall apart in the hands. They should be grasped by the stem and gently snapped off. If left on the tree too long, they will fall off and make a huge mess.

I just googled and found out that there is a variety of figs that is green when ripe. If they are starting to droop, they are ripe. Check out http://www.ehow.com/how_4443353_harvest-figs.html

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (07-05-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

when i worked at the doctor's office a patient brought me a huge container of figs.

i just threw them away....i was scared lol. what do they taste like?

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Synesthesia
Rose Garden

Synesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

Figs are yummy. A bit seedy and stuff, but they are quite good. Plus they keep people nice and regular as well.
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush, The Fog

Wielder of the Katana of Lepidoptera and General Randomness.
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I was afraid of them at first as well. But then I remember that Jesus ate figs and realized that they were given to man as a treat. I learned to love them. I find that most people either love them or they don't.

My pages:
Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

The newton people do amazing things with figs

I LOVE figs. I use them to make pies, jams, desserts, savory dressings for salads and chicken. My favorite food of all time is a pannini with figs and brie. mmmmmmmmmmmm

ETA: If you have a lot of them you might also put a posting on craigslist and see if anybody wants to come buy some.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm getting excited!

Apparently, where we live we can expect to get at least 2 crops of figs. The small crop the kids are gorging on is ripe. There's a much bigger crop that is not ripe yet. DH is just going to love when I make him climb up into that huge tree to pick figs this year.

I found a recipe for freezing them to do stuff with them later. I've wanted to learn to can for YEARS. Man....I wish I could find the funds to buy canning supplies!!! Now I REALLY want to can!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute

my IL's neighbor has them and shares. They make preserves and a fig pinwheel cookie mostly.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
TestifyToLove
Banned

Quote:
If you have a lot of them you might also put a posting on craigslist and see if anybody wants to come buy some.
M'kay, but you get to tell knittinghappy that you suggested I sell them and she doesn't get to come harvest some

I'm reading that it tastes like a cross between a peach and a strawberry. It certainly doesn't look any seedier than guava and I suspect if there's dislike its the seeds. I'm sending A out to see if they saved any of the ripe ones so I can try one.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
Two Little Birds
Deactivated

"Knitting is Mama's job"

Location: Where the wind blows, the snow flies and mere mortals can't breathe
Two Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy them! Stuff them with cheese and wrap them in bacon! Or send some to me.
Two Little Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
TestifyToLove
Banned

They are not *quite* ripe yet. So, they taste kind of earthy still. But, I can taste the hint of a sugary sweetness stronger than most fruit I've ever had--kind of on par with the sweetness in guava or passion fruit actually--that almost too sweet to be natural. Its not quite there yet, cause they aren't quite ripe. But, when they are ripe, its going to be there.

If I can get the kids to stop eating half-ripe ones, I'll have some delicious ripe ones to do something with. However, they declared its awesome that they have their own built-in snack bar back there now. So, we'll see if I can do *anything* with these at all.

Me things my African son might be feeling a little TOO at home with a fruit tree he can climb and pick unfettered now
Old 07-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
Cat
Rose Garden

Cat has disabled reputation

we grew up with fig trees (we're italian) they are SO GOOD!!!!!

the birds will eat them, so don't leave them on the tree for too long. my dad used to leave a few up high for them to snack on and then pick the rest early in the morning

Married to J

Mama to A born January 2010

and a kitty bear Sylvia
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
Hermana Linda
Administrator

I like to eat them with my breakfast cereal. I don't add them to the cereal because an enzyme in them curdles the milk I cut them up and serve them on the side. Then I put some fig on the spoon and get a bite of cereal.

My pages: