Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does *your* garden grow? Show and tell!

Some critter(s) have been feasting on my peas AND my potatoes. I planted more pea seeds today, but it's a bit late, so we'll see.

Dh, the littles, and I are heading here on Sunday: http://www.rareseeds.com/the-annual-heirloom-festival/ I will probably pick up some plants while I'm there. Direct sown seeds, honestly, scare me. I've had success (and failures!) with them, and I'm always nervous about them not germinating so I like to have back-up.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #17
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

I started well with an early spring planting, but then a windstorm blew over my greenhouse and I lost nearly everything. And then I never got back to it.

I do have a few things growing, though, and I finally got back out there today, so maybe I'll have a garden after all. I'll try to take pics tomorrow.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Here's most of my garden. I have blueberries and raspberries to the left, and behind that are the peas.

Peppers, tomatoes, onions, bok choy, lettuce, peas, beans, and garlic in the next row of beds.

Up on the bank behind are potatoes, elderberries, cucumbers, acorn squash, more garlic, and pumpkins.

Next row of beds are more beans, green onions, mesculun mix, carrots, and then under the hoops are beets, cabbage, spinach, and chard.

Next bed over are herbs - four types of sage, two types of thyme, two types of basil, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, chives, and fennel. The little triangle bed on the far right is a pink forsythia. I also have artichokes in the front.

canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to canadiyank For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (05-22-2014), believer (05-21-2014), bentlaj11 (05-21-2014), Blue-EyedLady (05-22-2014), HuggaBuggaMommy (05-21-2014), Johns_Gal (05-22-2014), Lady Grey (05-24-2014), LadybugSam (05-28-2014), NayneeNoo (05-21-2014), RiverRock (05-21-2014), Sundance (05-21-2014), threecubs (06-24-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiyank View Post
Here's most of my garden. I have blueberries and raspberries to the left, and behind that are the peas.

Peppers, tomatoes, onions, bok choy, lettuce, peas, beans, and garlic in the next row of beds.

Up on the bank behind are potatoes, elderberries, cucumbers, acorn squash, more garlic, and pumpkins.

Next row of beds are more beans, green onions, mesculun mix, carrots, and then under the hoops are beets, cabbage, spinach, and chard.

Next bed over are herbs - four types of sage, two types of thyme, two types of basil, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, chives, and fennel. The little triangle bed on the far right is a pink forsythia. I also have artichokes in the front.
It looks beautiful!

We are mulching around our beds this year, too. My father has a chipper, and he's bringing it to us hopefully next week.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
Old 05-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #20
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
It looks beautiful!

We are mulching around our beds this year, too. My father has a chipper, and he's bringing it to us hopefully next week.
Thanks!

Yes, I do a lot of mulching, as I live in the desert. Between the beds is bark, also straw and grass clippings. On the beds is straw, grass clippings, and wood chips.
The Following User Says Thank You to canadiyank For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (05-23-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #21
bentlaj11
Rose Trellis

bentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond repute

You guys have some awesome gardens I need to mulch some. Last year I had tons of leaves in the yard to use. This year I guess they all blew away before I got to them. I'm way behind this year. I'm growing a lot of grass along w/ my ants, though

InFpType 2/3(?)
bentlaj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bentlaj11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #22
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

This is our main veggie garden. We have herbs in a couple of other areas and a smaller garden in the back too. This one has a lot of chard and lettuce, a big tomato plant that is starting to produce tomatoes, squash is starting, carrots, and a few other things.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (05-22-2014), bentlaj11 (05-21-2014), canadiyank (05-21-2014), HuggaBuggaMommy (05-23-2014), LadybugSam (05-28-2014), NayneeNoo (05-21-2014), RiverRock (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #23
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Abashedly.

Next year I am ripping out my raised beds. They simply aren't deep enough. I thought I was watering them deeply but upon investigation, they are bone dry just two inche down. No wonder.

However, we are trying the hybrid kiddie pool garden. I expect it to be ugly as sin, and productive as can be. I've had so many issues with earwigs killing my tender new plants, this seems to be a way to thwart the nasty little bugs. And it should keep the snails at bay too, so. Happy.

Oh, and direct sowing. The flowers I planted apparently grew legs, because I put cosmos *there*, so why are they over *here*, and why do I have snapdragons popping up by the patio? And seriously, petunias at random. I give up.

Next year I'm going to just walk around like a preschooler with confetti, only swap seeds for the confetti.

I do have lots of blueberries, beans are thriving, and tomatoes abound. I can't grow squash in California to save my life. I am trying yet again with cucumbers. Seriously, earwigs love cucurbits a bit too much.
HuggaBuggaMommy (05-23-2014), MrsHutch (05-22-2014), squiddles (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #24
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I love seeing your gardens! I just have one 4x8' raised bed and several pots of herbs. We were going to make another raised bed this year, but they are so expensive, and we decided to put all of our money (and then some ) this year toward landscaping our poor naked house.

I'll try to get pictures soon! I don't feel like my garden is growing as quickly this year. I guess because the dirt was new last year and I never got around to doing the winter cover that I'd wanted to do, so it's a bit depleted this year.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #25
kklibrarian
Moderator to Adoption & Foster Care, Cloth Diapering & EC, Gardening, Infertility, Large Families, and WOHM's

The Famous Belladonna Took

kklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond repute

Will try to snap some pics with my phone later, but for right now my words will have to do. Our garden is big this year, and we got a nice early start, but it is slow growing. I think we have not gotten enough rain and although we water faithfully it just isn't the same. Also until this last week the weather has been very cool for May. I am hoping that if the warm weather and the forecasted rain will just come through for us stuff will take off.

We have tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants in one bed up front, peas in another, a bed of peas and squash and tomatoes, and even more squash and cukes and melons and sweet potatoes in another.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jolie (dd) - age practically 20
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Sigh (ds) - age 15 or "thereabouts"
kklibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kklibrarian For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #26
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I've got beans up!
The Following User Says Thank You to canadiyank For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #27
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I added more dirt to my raised beds and inground garden and replanted last week and still no seedlings except for a few radishes and one lone watermelon seedling.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #28
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I bought some bags of dirt to mix with compost and sand. I can now get the "sandbox" ready for planting.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #29
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

Everything is finished here. Hopefully I can get a picture today!

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
charla (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #30
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I finally realized that the rabbits were eating my seedlings just as soon as they poked their little heads out of the ground. So now I'm on my third planting with some screening to keep the rabbits out. It's doing better now. I'll have to grab a picture sometime soon.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (06-06-2014), Sundance (06-10-2014)