Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #31
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone still doing HTCI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
I've also been thinking about the art dilemma.

I've been admiring clipboard art displays http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/clip...layclea-155519

I'm also dreaming up a system where each kid has a sheet protector attached to the wall where they can slide in their newest masterpiece.

For my new job, I have to display art at kid's eye level. Anyone found a good and safe way to display art down low (at toddler eye level?)
You could use clothespins and command strips to attach them to the wall, similar affect to the clipboard but less bulky. If it can be enough above toddler level to not be a choking hazard then a "clothesline" to hang art on would work as well. Last year when I had up to 5 kids doing art projects I hung a piece of yarn at my eye level and we used cute decorative clothespins to hang their art on that, then when we did another art project I sent the "old" one home with the kids who didn't live at my house and filed my kids' with the rest of their school papers (I have a very sophisticated filing system . . . one folder per kid, toss all school papers into it all year, then when I do their state paperwork, go through and pull out the samples I need. Ideally I'd then throw away the rest but my kids balked at that idea so I just use "milk crates" and store the files in them in the attic. When the kids are grown I can hand the crates to them and they can throw them out or keep them, as they choose).

Another option would be a strip or sheet of metal on the wall with magnets to hold the artwork up.

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (08-12-2014), ECingMama (08-14-2014), saturnfire16 (08-09-2014), Starfish (08-11-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #32
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Laree's ideas are fantastic! Another idea, if you need the artwork to be covered, is to have a piece of plexiglass cut to size and either screw to the wall, or use with mirror clips (sides and bottom) so the plexiglass can be slid in and out as needed.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Starfish (08-11-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #33
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

BlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond repute

I really appreciated the old threads because they often discussed trying an idea with cheaper/temporary/homemade solutions before buying fancy organisational tools. (I don't think this is in the book at all).

I've done this twice in recent weeks and it's working really well.

I laminated a piece of plain white paper and used it as a trial whiteboard. It was really annoying because it didn't wipe clean without metho, but it proved that this was a necessary and useful addition to my home. I bought the proper whiteboard today after weeks of my laminated paper. Paper lists don't work with my head. I need to be able to completely remove the completed item from my list or it feels like it's not finished.

I took two cracker boxes and sticky-taped them together. One has "to file" and the other has "action required". I think this is going to work well but it's only been a week so far.

In the search for community which combines a love of our Creator with a love of raising children gently.

Echidna, 7.5yo: "Does icebergs (aspergers) mean lots of lego?"
BlissfullyEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissfullyEsther For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (08-11-2014), saturnfire16 (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #34
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyEsther View Post
I laminated a piece of plain white paper and used it as a trial whiteboard. It was really annoying because it didn't wipe clean without metho, but it proved that this was a necessary and useful addition to my home.
For future reference page protectors wipe clean more easily than laminated pages IMO. Also, at a homeschool conference a few years ago, a speaker (from a geography/history vendor) suggested using wet erase (the ones for overhead projectors) on laminated maps instead of dry erase. He said they're actually "gentler" and won't soak through the plastic, which dry erase sometimes will. So if I do write on laminated stuff I use wet erase, it wipes of easily with a damp cloth

and
Lina, 9
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (08-12-2014), ECingMama (08-14-2014), MrsDuck (08-19-2014), Ramee151 (08-11-2014), RiverRock (08-11-2014), saturnfire16 (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #35
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

BlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
For future reference page protectors wipe clean more easily than laminated pages IMO. Also, at a homeschool conference a few years ago, a speaker (from a geography/history vendor) suggested using wet erase (the ones for overhead projectors) on laminated maps instead of dry erase. He said they're actually "gentler" and won't soak through the plastic, which dry erase sometimes will. So if I do write on laminated stuff I use wet erase, it wipes of easily with a damp cloth
I wish I'd asked you before I started this trial. I don't know if I've ever seen wet erase markers. Oh well, I'm wonderfully happy with my dry erase board now.

In the search for community which combines a love of our Creator with a love of raising children gently.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #36
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyEsther View Post
I wish I'd asked you before I started this trial. I don't know if I've ever seen wet erase markers. Oh well, I'm wonderfully happy with my dry erase board now.
The "Vis a Vis" brand for overhead projector transparencies are wet erase, also useful if you want parts of a dry erase board to NOT be erased for awhile.

and
Lina, 9
Old 08-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #37
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

So I'd never heard of HTCI, but now I'm hooked . . . I've requested the book from the library (it's "in transit" so I'm hoping it'll be there tomorrow!).

Meanwhile I've been reading through the older threads about it, gleaning ideas

I LOVED the idea of having all the silverware in a bucket, and especially the idea of that bucket also working to drain the silverware after it's washed. I went to Five Below today and found a metal basket that should work, woo-hoo!!! I was already tossing the silverware onto a towel to drain because my dish drainer doesn't have a spot for silverware, so now I can set the whole basket on the towel and save teh whole "putting away" step, woo-hoo!!

While I was at Five Below they had the plastic picnic ware clearanced down super cheap so I got plastic bowls, plates & cups for when we grill out. DH got a new grill this summer, so we've been doing that more often and the glass dishes over the driveway made me nervous (though my kids are used to being careful of glass dishes) but I didn't want to use paper all the time. Now my plan is to dig through my collection of baskets and bins that I've collected "just in case I need them ) and find one that I can keep all the plasticware in, that will save the whole "we have to make a gazillion trips taking dishes outside" thing if we can just grab a basket and carry it outside. Then when we wash the dishes afterwards we can put them back in the basket

My other project today was convincing Lina that she doesn't need to have her "comfort corner" in the master closet. When we moved here, the very first thing she did was choose her spot for her "piggy" (a big pig-shaped pillow that is her comfort corner) and she chose our closet, which actually was a good choice . . . pretty much the only "out of the way" spot on the main floor, and because our closet is in the hallway between the bathroom and bedroom, not IN the bedroom, it made it so it was somewhere that she could kind of see what the rest of us were doing without being in the middle of things. But she's older now and for the last several months, she's chosen to go up to her bed, or under her bed, to calm down. So today I asked if she'd rather move her piggy pillow somewhere else where she might actually use it, and she agreed. It's not in our school room near the beanbag where her sisters tend to lounge during read alouds and such and I can finally make use of the storage space in the bottom of my closet. I am very excited!! I cleaned the shoes that were kind of tossed in around the piggy and stacked them neatly, though they won't stay, I need to find some kind of basket to toss them in and while I was at it hung some command hooks behind the clothes rod, tomorrow I want to hang some of my tote bags and purses on them instead of having them always cluttering things up in my room.

AND at Walmart today I noticed they have a free-standing "closet organizer that I'm thinking might fit behind the door in our bedroom which is currently just stacked high with junk. That would give us more space for hanging clothes AND other storage and be more organized than just stacked junk . . . so now I want to work on clearing out that corner to measure and decide, I have till next payday at least though

and
Lina, 9
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (08-12-2014), Llee (08-12-2014), RiverRock (08-13-2014), saturnfire16 (08-12-2014), Starfish (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #38
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

I'm working on HTCI-ing our play room today. Essentially that means I'm removing almost every toy which isn't Lego, and then I'll assess what's needed for organisation. They just don't play with much else. All the toys I'm removing are going out to live in the shed. I'm telling the kids I'm doing it so we can paint the room (I've painted all but this room and the bathroom) but I don't plan to put anything back which isn't expressly asked for. I don't expect much, if anything, will be asked for once it's been gone 5 minutes. The boys and I have assigned the toy shelves to Lego. One shelf for shared stuff, one shelf for each boy. That way they can keep finished models safe when they're not playing with them. DS2 also has his Octonauts stuff on his shelf.

I'm trying to keep a clear head, but I'm still a bit . When DS1 was little I was into the waldorf aesthetic (not the philosophy) but it is now clear that *very* open-ended toys are not the way many asd kids play. Another step of accepting what is instead of what I dreamed. I'm building the play room into accomodating what *is* - a household (adults included) obsessed with Lego and precious little else.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlissfullyEsther For This Useful Post:
believer (08-18-2014), Llee (08-13-2014), RiverRock (08-13-2014), Starfish (08-13-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #39
MrsDuck
Rose Bouquet

MrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud of

Checking in here to let you ladies know that THIS THREAD is one of the main reasons I have been so absent to the board the past bit. Seriously. I requested the book from the library right after the thread started and it has been nothing but ah-ha moments for me around the house since then.

I decided my Home Base Zone is the laundry room. When I pulled everything out of there I could. Not. Believe how much stuff was crammed into that small space. And I realized the rooms that stay pretty neat were basically already HTCI'd without me realizing that is why they stayed clean.

I love you all.

Blessed to be a Stay at Home-schooling Mama to:
DS1 - Snugglebug - Nov. '08
DS2 - Wiggles - May '12
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrsDuck For This Useful Post:
BlissfullyEsther (08-19-2014), Llee (08-20-2014), RiverRock (08-20-2014), saturnfire16 (08-28-2014), Soliloquy (08-19-2014), Starfish (08-20-2014), sweetpeas (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #40
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

For me, one of the cool things about doing HTCI and decluttering has been that after getting rid of so much stuff that I had no use for, I am finding uses for the cool things that I have that had previously been gathering dust - like I am now using a star shaped ceramic plate that my youngest dd had painted at a summer camp as a spoon rest and it is part of my kitchen décor. It is great to have things organized so that I know what I have and where it is too.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
Llee (08-20-2014), MrsDuck (08-20-2014), RiverRock (08-20-2014), saturnfire16 (08-28-2014), Starfish (08-20-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #41
silverlining
Deactivated

silverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant future

Where are the old threads? I did a search and didn't find much. My library doesn't have the book, and I'd like to get a better idea of what this is about.
silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #42
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
I got a ton out of the old threads too, long before I read the book. But having the book is allowing me to easily flip a the chapter I want when I'm going "Now, what were the solutions for this...."

But here's something I need ideas from you all on. What do you all do with drawing paper for the kids? I have piles of both new paper (printer, lined, card stock, construction paper) and scratch paper (old flyers, anything that's wrinkled or has a few marks but can still be used). Where/how do you store it so it's easy to access and easy for them to get into without spreading it everywhere?
I've read HTCI but I can't remember much about it. Is it basically that the way you live is they way you should organize? Like if everyone likes to drop their shoes inside the door you should just give in to that but make it look nice by using a basket or shoe dresser?

For drawing paper I use stacking letter trays (but mine are clear). They are technically an inefficient use of space but they do stay nice and neat, which no other system I've used has. It holds copy paper, lined paper, colored paper/construction paper, and my backup ream of copy paper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
and more importantly what do you do with the mountain of pictures they make with the paper???
Between the two kids (but it's 80% DD), they use at least a ream of paper each month, besides making hundreds of drawings in their art journals and any piece of paper they can find. No joke. We home school and they both really like to draw so they have means, motive, and opportunity.

I have a second set of stacking letter trays for used paper.

DD has 3 trays for her stuff: 2 for the loose paper and one for 3-D crafts she makes. DS has 1 tray. I have one tray for super-temporary things like lists and grocery store ads I don't have time to finish or look at until the end of the day. One tray is for blank USA maps and blank times tables because we use those often.

At the end of each month, I (and/or the kids) date any art that wasn't dated, stack it up, and glue 3 pieces of copy paper together to make a giant band that I wrap around each kid's stack of papers. I write the month/year/kid's name on the top and it goes in a bin that slides under my bed. DD's 3-D stuff gets dated and tossed into the bin as well. She actually toned it down a bit this year; January through July all fit into one big bin.

All of this artwork is crazy making, but they love creating, and as long as they're following the organizing system they can make 200 pages a day for all I care! I do keep almost everything now that they're bigger because they make comics and drawings that really show their personalities and stage; I love looking at it and they are proud of their developing talent! Everywhere else, I'm a minimalist.
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (08-22-2014), saturnfire16 (08-28-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #43
MrsDuck
Rose Bouquet

MrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud of

Does anyone have a good way to avoid the accumulation of "tinnies" (the small things that manage to find their way to the bottom of baskets, drawers, piles, etc. like crayons, coins, chapstick...) In the book she talks about how to deal with them during the conversion process, but I didn't see anything about how to avoid them all together. I don't think they're going to just magically stop appearing.... Though, that would be nice if it did happen.

Blessed to be a Stay at Home-schooling Mama to:
DS1 - Snugglebug - Nov. '08
DS2 - Wiggles - May '12
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #44
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

Nuh, no ideas about those little annoying things.

My HTCI thought for today is that HTCI is lots like an indoor version of permaculture. Permaculture is about systems working effectively, efficiently, and multi-purposefully (is that a word?). Eg you plant some vines or espalier fruit trees on the sunny side of your chook yard. The plants give shade to the chooks in summer and let through sun in winter; they give fruit for humans; excess fruit which falls is eaten by the chooks; the bugs which feed on the rotting fallen fruit are also eaten by the chooks; the manure from the chooks is shoveled out to the veggie patch; etc. It all works together to minimise human effort, maximise conditions for humans, animals and plants; build soil fertility; and create create biodiversity. Does that make sense? It feels like HTCI is doing similar with systems supporting each other to minimise human effort and maximise conditions.

Off to dig some more in the garden on this lovely warm spring day. See ya!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlissfullyEsther For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (08-26-2014), Iveyrock (08-25-2014), Llee (08-26-2014), MrsDuck (08-25-2014), saturnfire16 (08-28-2014), Starfish (08-28-2014)