Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need a cheapish idea for colored dish racks

Two of my kids are getting camping pots with mess kits for their bdays (plus EZ reach lighters and a bunch of fun food to cook on their camp stoves). Plus I have one kid who already has that stuff and another one who will want it soon. When I add stuff to our home I always think about how it will be used and the kids will have to wash their stuff after using. If they have their own dish rack it will be easier to put their stuff away when it is dry. Our kids are color coded- orange, blue, green, purple (the little two are pink and yellow). I was going to see if the dollar store had colored dish racks, but they just had white. I tried Oriental Trading, amazon, Ikea, Target, and Bed Bath and Beyond but no luck. My thought is to buy the white ones from the dollar store and just wrap washi tape all the way around, then cover with waterproof tape, but I wanted to see if anyone had any better ideas to get colored dishracks in the right colors for everyone- either ones I could buy or a way to adapt the dollar store ones. Obviously it will need to be a waterproof idea.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a cheapish idea for colored dish racks

You could add the color just in very visible spots, like the middle of the wires on the outside corners. It'd be less work and not contact the dishes as often.

For camping, mess kits are often hung in mesh bags to dry.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-24-2021), Llee (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Silicone bracelet or twist tie in a visible area.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-24-2021), SewingGreenMama (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #4
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Spray paint? I bet you could prime and paint them in their colors then seal it with something food safe.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
Spray paint? I bet you could prime and paint them in their colors then seal it with something food safe.
I thought about this, too- not sure if the paint would chip or come off. The $ store dish racks are plastic.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 02-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #6
amommy23
Rosebud

amommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really nice

Could you use plastic lacing cord (the kind for kids’ crafts/jewelry) and wind around the main sections? Or maybe “paint” with sharpies. I’m not sure how long-lasting that would be though.
amommy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amommy23 For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-24-2021), ViolaMum (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #7
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I thought about this, too- not sure if the paint would chip or come off. The $ store dish racks are plastic.
There is spray paint formulated for plastic.

Using plastic lacing (I think it's sometimes known as gimp or boondoggle) sounds like a great idea!
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-25-2021), Llee (02-24-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I’d go w mesh bags but i don’t have room to store that many dish racks unless they stack well. Then after considering that, I had visions of people digging for their rack and making a mess not putting the racks neatly where they came from so i then went back to a mesh bag idea or if use a colored towel to rest dishes on so the towel can just air dry in between

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-25-2021), ECingMama (02-28-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
I’d go w mesh bags but i don’t have room to store that many dish racks unless they stack well. Then after considering that, I had visions of people digging for their rack and making a mess not putting the racks neatly where they came from so i then went back to a mesh bag idea or if use a colored towel to rest dishes on so the towel can just air dry in between

They do stack neatly but also we are going to give each child a camping box in the garage and the idea is they are stored in there. I can foresee a few proBlems like you mentioned, though. Mesh bags is an intriguing idea but how are you picturing the stuff drying well in them?

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 02-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #10
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked on WISH? I am not sure how much you want to spend, I did a search for Red Dish Rack........... I came up with this https://www.google.com/search?q=purp...81543664480627 for around $10

Of course there are more expensive ones out there in all colors. Have you checked Ebay?

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

I see some have suggested the tape, but I don't think the washi would hold up to water.

Look at your local Dollar General they have a wide range of patterns and colors of Duct tape. Should you choose to go with tape, I think that would stay much longer on the rack as they are used.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:50 PM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Outside on a laundry line or over bathtub
Here’s a pic on the top of this page
http://www.scouting626.com/camping/b...kitbuyingguide

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-26-2021), ECingMama (02-28-2021)