Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #16
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Workbook for vocabulary esp for testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmommy View Post
DS is studying for the SAT and this is what I told him to do. He told me he kept having to look words up from the practice tests so I told him to get a notebook and start writing them down along with a definition. Maybe some SAT vocabulary flash cards would help. Or maybe Google academic vocabulary and see if there is a list of words she can study.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

I did a Google search and this came up.

https://www.vocabulary.com/lists/7537949

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

This too.

https://quizlet.com/549904484/academ...y-flash-cards/
Thank you. I sent her the link. We used vocabulary.com in previous years but I think she learns better with pencil and paper. It's more anchoring to the task. I have suggested that she work through one this summer, but I haven't found a workbook yet.

The quizlet link is great for English vocab! She's already through with college English though. She made an A and a B in those classes!

I looked over what her history professor said about her essay. And I think he graded it way too hard. She might have to find a history professor with a different grading method! Basically it's 4 multiple choice tests. If you pass all of them, you get a C. You cannot get an A or B unless you do the essay question that goes with each test. You can get an A only if you get an A average on all the multiple choice AND the essays.

She's not good at multiple choice but she's better at essays. She got a 52 on the multiple choice and a 58 on the essay.

I don't think, based on his feedback, that she deserved a 58 on the essay. It sounded to me like she at least passed it.

She's taking a retest soon. He's only giving a retest on this one test. I told her if she can't make an A on the retest where she's already seen some of the questions, then she probably needs to drop because I'm not confident she'll be able to pass the other three tests.

She's definitely more likely to improve her essay score than multiple choice, but she's got to get at least a 70 average on the multiple choice in order to pass. It won't matter how good her essays are. Which is stupid.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #17
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if I might be able to help with the essay portion - history essays are a different type of essay than English, and it can be tricky to get the analysis portion right.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
knitlove (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #18
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
I wonder if I might be able to help with the essay portion - history essays are a different type of essay than English, and it can be tricky to get the analysis portion right.
Maybe? She can't seem to access her actual essay but maybe she will be able to after the retest.

The essay didn't seem to ask for any analyzing. Just facts. And though she hit the minimum word requirement and answered all the prompt questions, his feedback indicated that he wanted more info. This is why I felt she deserved at least a pass. BUT I could only go by what she told me she said in the essay since we couldn't see her actual essay.

The syllabus said 500 word minimum and a good essay would be 750. She did about 500. I did explain that the minimum was probably only applicable to really amazing and concise writers. She's not one of those so I told her to try for 700-800 words next time.

He gives multiple test prompts ahead of time and then only chooses 2 to pick from on the actual test. So she's got to cram her head with facts for the multiple choice part plus enough facts to write 700 words on 3-4 separate prompts.

And this is a kid who is being exposed to this particular history material for the first time. US History part 2. So she doesn't have a lot of these facts already in her brain.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Katigre (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #19
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

Did she do practice essays before the test? Does she have a study group so she can go over things with other students and see what their notes and essays are like?
In my college history classes, I was in study groups that went over material together, but some also did practice essays and made up prompts for each other. (I was sort of an amateur writing tutor along with being a paid science tutor, and would get asked for input a lot with essays and papers, which is why I remember even though it was eons ago).

If not, that is something that can be worked on with you (or an older sibling in college?) as test prep. Without other students in the same class, maybe you could find examples online. Even the AP history responses, though a different format, might help in seeing what is an adequate response vs. a suboptimal one. https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/...stions-by-year
If not, maybe some of the vocabulary in the questions might be of use.

Last edited by teamommy; 03-06-2021 at 10:26 AM.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teamommy For This Useful Post:
Katigre (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:55 AM   #20
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

You are not a bad mom. Learning issues can be so tricky and it sounds like you have worked hard on this

This program has nothing to do w history and only has to do with comprehension and vocabulary. But I’m not actually sure that it would meet her issues. Only the person teaching her (you) or a person evaluating the learning issues would know.

Reading assistant (but it’s online not pencil and paper)- I just shared this in another post

https://www.scilearn.com/reading-assistant-plus/

“ Meet our online guided reading component of the Fast ForWord program that improves vocabulary, fluency, comprehension, and prosody. ”

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote