Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:06 PM   #16
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need snack ideas for me.

If you don't have one, a spring loaded ice cream scoop saves a huge amount of time scooping out muffins. (And then they bake so much faster!) I've got two for cookies - the smaller one (1Tb) is just right for mini muffins - and one that's sized perfectly for standard sized muffin/cupcake pans (3Tb). (OXO)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-30-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 02:22 PM   #17
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

I just made these Chocolate-Peanut Butter Energy Bars and cut them in small squares, and keep them in the fridge. Even my picky DS loves them.
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-01-2021), Lady Grey (02-05-2021), ViolaMum (02-03-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 02:34 PM   #18
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

We enjoy tortilla pizzas. Ds2 has declared them to be his "speciality" and he wrote out his own version for dd when she left for university in September.

One thing we found is that tomato sauce makes it ... soggy and led to some unpleasant ripping apart and generally being a mess, likely because of the weight of the toppings. We brush it was just a swipe or two of olive oil, sprinkle a few herbs / seasoning and add veggies / meat / a little shredded cheese or a few crumbles of feta.

I'm not a fan but ds2 loves hummus, peppers and a few whole grain crackers. I keep planning to make my own for him - maybe I'll give it a try this week.
hollybells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hollybells For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #19
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
If you don't have one, a spring loaded ice cream scoop saves a huge amount of time scooping out muffins. (And then they bake so much faster!) I've got two for cookies - the smaller one (1Tb) is just right for mini muffins - and one that's sized perfectly for standard sized muffin/cupcake pans (3Tb). (OXO)
I have a Pampered Chef scoop I use.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurlor View Post
I just made these Chocolate-Peanut Butter Energy Bars and cut them in small squares, and keep them in the fridge. Even my picky DS loves them.
I've never had dates. Are they in the nut section? What do they taste like?

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Blueberry Cake

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup demera(raw) sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 cup blueberries

Mix all and bake in an 8x8 dish at 350 degrees for 40 min to 1 hour.

I haven't made this in a long time, my recipe says to bake about an hour but I don't think it takes the full hour, I'm thinking 45 minutes. Now I want some but have no blueberries!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (02-05-2021), ViolaMum (02-03-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #20
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
I've never had dates. Are they in the nut section? What do they taste like?
I had never had them either before making this! I had to look around for them (I live in S. CA and found them at Sprouts), but they were near the dried fruit/nuts. You may have to look at a health food type store? They taste SWEET. Honestly, in this recipe anyway, I can't taste them at all....they just bring the sweetness. These taste like super yummy peanut butter cups! My son is so picky and he loves these!
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #21
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had never had them either before making this! I had to look around for them (I live in S. CA and found them at Sprouts), but they were near the dried fruit/nuts. You may have to look at a health food type store? They taste SWEET. Honestly, in this recipe anyway, I can't taste them at all....they just bring the sweetness. These taste like super yummy peanut butter cups! My son is so picky and he loves these!
I don't have a food processor but I do have a personal Ninja blender, going to try using that.

Today I made oatmeal cookies. I make all my cookies with 1/3 less sugar and these with whole wheat flour.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (02-04-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #22
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a Mediterranean grocery they will have really fresh dates. If you can get past the look (I will not tell you what my daughter said they look like. LOL) They are really good to sweeten a smoothie or bake with. You can stuff them with a nut and dip in chocolate for a delicious sweet. I like to eat them plain.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-01-2021), ViolaMum (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #23
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Dates are sweet! (Think date sugar.) They're the base of homemade Lara bars. I've used dried prunes as a sub, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they would work in other applications. Dried apricots are another good sub for dates in cookie recipes, but they definitely change the flavor profile.

For a national brand (I think it's Sunsweet?) check next to the raisins. If not there, wherever your grocery store stocks figs and more gourmet dried fruits and nuts, usually around the produce. I've even found dates from smaller growers at local discount/off-price stores that are really good. Costco even had them over Christmas. (I buy a lot of them at Christmas. )

Buy dates WHOLE. Chopped dates are coated with sugar or a starch to keep the pieces from sticking together which means they dry out and get hard before they even get to the store.

These cereal bars look interesting.

Or these snack bars.

(I don't think I've ever had a fresh date, only dried. Which is a little weird, because while highly seasonal and also expensive, figs are available fresh, and they are from the same regions.)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-04-2021), Maedchen (02-03-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:08 PM   #24
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I often like a slice of swiss cheese with sweet & hot mustard.

Herring in sour cream (affordable way to get omega 3).

Leftover sweet potato or other leftover vegetables heated up with some salsa and guac or avocado on top. (I buy the bag of cubed, frozen avocado at Costco. They thaw pretty quickly).

I have several recipes for lightly sweet cookies that only have ripe banana, nut butter, oats, and eggs as ingredients. I add chia seeds.

When we want chocolate milk, I often make banana chocolate milk. I add frozen, ripe bananas to milk with cocoa powder (1/2 - 1 Tbsp per cup of milk) and combine in the blender. Add more or less cocoa or banana to taste. You can add chia, flax, or hemp seeds, too.

My favorite snack is a homemade matcha latte. I warm milk on the stove with 1 tsp of sugar. I add matcha powder and blend with my frother. Organic matcha powder is kind of expensive but that drink is $6 at Starbucks!

My dh likes London Fogs. Make earl grey tea and froth with warm half & half.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #25
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Finally found dates and made those Chocolate PB energy bars. Delicious!!!!! I want to eat lots of them!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Laurlor (03-07-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #26
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

This thread makes me hungry!

My favorite snacks (that I can't eat now due to being on AIP diet) are:
  • Fage brand full fat Greek yogurt mixed with honey and pecans
  • Nuts and cheese (my favorite is Costco roasted mixed nuts with a hunk of the Jarlsburg baby swiss cheese.)
  • Black tea with heavy cream

I think I could actually live off of these! LOL!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (03-05-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #27
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
Finally found dates and made those Chocolate PB energy bars. Delicious!!!!! I want to eat lots of them!
It's crazy how good they are for being pretty healthy. My son plays football and shared them with a teammate and his mom asked me for the recipe because he loved them so much too!
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 08:18 PM   #28
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
It's crazy how good they are for being pretty healthy. My son plays football and shared them with a teammate and his mom asked me for the recipe because he loved them so much too!
I know! I made more today and ate 3!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Laurlor (03-09-2021)