Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #256
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diatomacious Earth ( DE ) thread :)

It would likely take some shaking or major stirring...LOL

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
MaybeGracie (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #257
justbreathe
Deactivated

Grumpy kitten is watching you

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

I've stirred it into my warm milk a few times and had no problems with it mixing
justbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justbreathe For This Useful Post:
MaybeGracie (06-02-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #258
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

I have never read so much about poop and dirt. And that's with 5 kids.

That is all.
blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blessedmamaofmany For This Useful Post:
Blue Savannah (06-15-2011), milkdud (10-10-2011), MrsHutch (03-12-2012)
Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #259
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have time tonight to read allllll the info in this thread, but I do have some questions. If someone would help me out, I would appreciate it.

1) I bought a large bag of DE, it was Red Lake brand. When I opened it, it was a light brown. My understanding is that the brown means it has a lot of clay in it? Is it still okay to use.

2) Ds3 just started a round of Alinia (nitazoxanide) for treatment of chronic Crytposporidium, when can he start the DE/BC mix?

I am so desperate for this child to have a normal bowel movement. He has had loose bowels for almost a year now. .
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #260
purple_kangaroo
Rose Garden

purple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysforme View Post

1) I bought a large bag of DE, it was Red Lake brand. When I opened it, it was a light brown. My understanding is that the brown means it has a lot of clay in it? Is it still okay to use.
I just bought the same thing. It has calcium bentonite clay in it, which from the little bit of research I've done is also supposed to be beneficial in similar ways to the DE, plus it absorbs toxins which I'm theorizing might help with any herximer reaction.

It does have some little rocks of clay (?) in it that could theoretically be large enough to damage teeth. I used a sieve to get those out. I mixed it in with a smoothie, and my kids didn't notice. I mixed some with water and a little cod liver oil to make a paste-like consistency for the dog, and she ate it right up. For me, knowing it was in the smoothie, I could smell a wierd smell and taste a bit of grittiness, but it's not too terribly noticeable. I put about 2 tablespoons in enough smoothie to divide up for all 5 of us, so it will be just over a teaspoon per person--I figured I'd start at a smaller dose and work up from there.

As with any fine powder, you do want to be careful not to get it in the air and breathe it.

I can't tell you what our results will be yet, as we're just now drinking the smoothie.

Seeking truth and understanding.

I have 4 precious children: A (born Feb 2001), M (June 2002), E (Aug 2005) and N (Dec 2013). AMEN!
purple_kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #261
justbreathe
Deactivated

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

Was there ever any consensus on taking DE and probiotics? To me, it seems as if DE would clean out the good bacteria as well, so there is no point in taking a good probiotic at the same time?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #262
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasara View Post
Was there ever any consensus on taking DE and probiotics? To me, it seems as if DE would clean out the good bacteria as well, so there is no point in taking a good probiotic at the same time?
I think it would be similar to timing when your child has to take an antibiotic.

We use a rotating schedule and ALWAYS waited 2 hours after DE to take probiotics. We don't do DE anymore but that is always what I thought as well

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #263
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Rule of thumb for me, I take supplements along with the natural source whenever possible. If I normally wouldn't mix them in their original state I dont mix supplements. Those that I would I do. De and probiotics wouldn't normally be eaten together in their natural state. Depending on if the probx is bacteria or yeast. I think I wouldn't take them together. But not because I think it would clean out the good bacteria. Ideally, our bodies elliminate what you have just eaten in 12 hours.
Wouldn't a gastroentronologist come in handy, chuckle chuckle. But if the de and probx were moving through, its not like an antibiotic. Wouldntthe probx still be sitting there along with the de? And de isn't like clay, it doesn't adsorb. So maybe it would be moved along with the de as it passes through? Lasting only 12 hours?
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #264
justbreathe
Deactivated

me,

what order would you take the de and probiotics in? DE in the morning, then probiotics at night? or reverse?

The probiotic I take says to take it 3 times a day. So I don't know when a good time to take the DE is.

The reason I ask is that I've seen several sources claiming that de scrubs out bacteria and viruses from your intestines. If that is so, isn't it scrubing out the good bacteria (probiotics) as well?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #265
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

If it scrubbed good and bad, I dont think it would have the benefits it does. We finished off getting rid of all food allergies with de. Somethingnot possible if our good and bad bacteria was scrubbed out daily with no probx supplementing. Plus you wouldn't have healthy livestock who use it without probx. Im not big on probiotics unless the person cant have a variety of foods and silica. My dd had to take antibiotics , morning/ midday/and night. So I gave her probx. Its possible to stager them....soooo..let's say it does work like an antibiotic. 2 hours before preferably or 2 hours after the de, probx should be given. or is that backwards? Two hrs before or after the probx, sorry, trying to make dinner.

Last edited by me; 07-13-2011 at 03:22 PM.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #266
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

anyone in the milw. area need any?? i need to order some more and the price diff between a 5lb bag and a 10lb bag is small. i just use it internally not for outside stuff so i don't need that much!!

it has helped our house TONS in the grinding teeth/tmj/headache area!! for that alone we would buy it!!

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Stiina (05-03-2012)
Old 09-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #267
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

I looked through the first few pages but. Have some questions.

1) is there ever a time or illness in which de isn't to be taken?
2) does it give you the runs or make you throw up as you detox/cleanse?
3) does it help the immune system in general?
4) I see talk of getting rid of food allergic, do you need to take it daily for this?
5) I saw mention of not taking during respiratory symptoms, can a child who has (probable) asthma be ok to take it as long as they don't have an attack or flare up at the time. Why can't it be taken during respiratory symptoms? Is it the dustiness?

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Last edited by Tandem mama; 12-01-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #268
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem mama View Post
I looked through the first few pages but. Have some questions.

1) is there ever a time or illness in which de isn't to be taken?
2) does it give you the runs or make you throw up as you detox/cleanse?
3) does it help the immune system in general?
4) I see talk of getting rid of food allergic, do you need to take it daily for this?
5) I saw mention of not taking during respiratory symptoms, can a child who has (probable) asthma be ok to take it as long as they don't have an attack or flare up at the time. Why can't it be taken during respiratory symptoms? Is it the dustiness?
Good questions! I've just been learning about FGDE recently, so I'd like to know some of these too. I know this is an older thread though. Can anyone help? Is anyone still taking it or happy/unhappy with it?

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #269
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopetobe View Post
Good questions! I've just been learning about FGDE recently, so I'd like to know some of these too. I know this is an older thread though. Can anyone help? Is anyone still taking it or happy/unhappy with it?
I got my questions answered in another thread.

1) is there ever a time or illness in which de isn't to be taken? [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Not that I've found.[/COLOR]
2) does it give you the runs or make you throw up as you detox/cleanse? [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]No. We have not had any problems[/COLOR]
3) does it help the immune system in general? [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Yes[/COLOR]
4) I see talk of getting rid of food allergic, do you need to take it daily for this? [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]DE doesn't cure allergies[/COLOR]
5) I saw mention of not taking during respiratory symptoms, can a child who has (probable) asthma be ok to take it as long as they don't have an attack or flare up at the time. Why can't it be taken during respiratory symptoms? Is it the dustiness?it's ok to take with a cold/whatever. It's not great to inhale ever.

We took DE for 30 days. I got rid of headaches, TMJ symptoms, constipation, mood issues.
Dd1 got rid of mood issues and constipation.
Dd2 got Rid of constipation
Dh got rid of constipation and SAD.
We ran out and were off it for three weeks. In those three weeks I got massive headaches and mood swings. Also constipation and tmj symptoms. Dd1 and dd2 had big feelings!! They also caught a stomach virus but I'm not sure DE would've prevented that.

We've been back on it for a week. Lowered mood issues, constipation is gone for everyone. My tmj symptoms are gone. We feel way way better on it.

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
curlymopmom (02-29-2012), ECingMama (05-07-2013), Hopetobe (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #270
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Proceed with caution if you have ANY inflammation issues. My dd1 who has significant stomach inflammation still cannot take DE after over 1.5 years of being on clay and now GAPs for 8 months.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (03-01-2012)