Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Petie
Climbing Rose

Petie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond repute
Default So we have been keeping track

and decided to fill the kids in on what we noticed. Simon gets into trouble at school after lunch, a carb filled overly sugary lunch. Lala tends to get really irritable if she has too much sugar and easy carbs. Justin gets more flighty with the same types of food (flighty as in you tell him something and two minutes later he has forgotten). Gav is the hardest. He will "forget" to eat, get really irritable, load up on a bean and cheese burrito fest, get really happy, then an hour later he's irritable again.

So, we clued the kids in on their behaviors in relation to their food intake. All of them seem extremely sensitive to sugar intake and two of them have trouble with dairy, though only Gav seems to react negatively in a behavioral sense to dairy. Simon just gets all snotty (literally snot coming out of the nose, spitting up snot, etc.) which leads to tummy aches, so he hasn't had dairy in a few years. We explained that the easy carbs (white foods) will be gone, and we will limit the use of grains.

This discussion went well with the younger three but Gav started saying, "well, when I'm not home I'll eat whatever I want.....etc etc" I simply told him, "that is your decision, but don't think you will walk into the house all grumpy because you want to eat whatever you want." OK so this leads to him having an all out fit because I called him "grumpy". GRRRRRRRR OK, he's 15, I can't control what he eats at school or with his friends, but I don't think it was wrong for me to point out that I don't want to deal with the aftermath of his bad eating. So, how do I get through a discussion about diet with a child who obviously doesn't want to change his eating habits and is in complete denial about the effects of his bad diet?
Lala 11
Simon 8
Petie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So we have been keeping track

would he be willing to conduct an experiment for 30 days, keeping a food journal (what eaten, when), and noting how he feels, and how others perceive him in the few hours following that? and/or giving your suggestions a try for 30 days, keeping track, then after that re-evaluating?
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Don't Engage! Just say "well, that's true enough, but this is what we are doing in our family. Even a little change will help" and then move on. Maybe not event hat much, just "that's true, I guess you can" and change the subject to something else, like what lala might like to eat instead of white grains .

Teenagers love to pick fights. Well, preteens do too? But in a neutral time, go back to him and say "hey you had a good point about being able to eat what you want, would you be willing to....(insert Anika's suggestion"
Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Petie
Climbing Rose

Petie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond reputePetie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!! I think I'll combine those two ideas like Marsha said. Just, in front of the others don't engage and then maybe have a nice discussion later. He's 15 and honestly, part of me thinks he LIKES pushing buttons. It's like having a two year old with a massive vocabulary and he's taller now. But it feels like that same fight for independence that a two year old has. You know, saying "no" just to see what happens at 2 yrs. old turns into arguing every detail in the teenage years.
Lala 11
Simon 8
Petie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:46 AM   #5
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Thank you!! I think I'll combine those two ideas like Marsha said. Just, in front of the others don't engage and then maybe have a nice discussion later. He's 15 and honestly, part of me thinks he LIKES pushing buttons. It's like having a two year old with a massive vocabulary and he's taller now. But it feels like that same fight for independence that a two year old has. You know, saying "no" just to see what happens at 2 yrs. old turns into arguing every detail in the teenage years.
YES!!! (Or at 10 in my daughtter's case LOL) Plus, he wants to feel independent. So acknowledging that why yes in fact he can eat outside the home....defuses that a bit.