Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Pearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Almost 4 night waking and sleep location

C will be 4 at the beginning of September. She very rarely sleeps through the night.

She coslept in our queen bed with us full time until she was 2, then we started having her begin the night in her own bed most nights. She generally wakes up and wanders in our room and climbs in bed with us. She tends to toss, turn, kick, etc. in her sleep so it feels like she takes up a lot of room. There's not a lot of room to begin with because DH is 6'2" and over 300 pounds. We have Z in a bassinet next to the bed but I do a lot of side-lying nighttime nursing and generally fall asleep that way, and so he really spends the majority of the night in bed with me.

For the past year or so, we've been trying to encourage C to sleep on a mattress on our floor when she comes in our room. That generally works for the first wake-up. Then she'll wake up again an hour or so later and climb up in our bed again. She prefers to be up at the top with us but when I was pregnant she started finding space down by our legs.

No matter how many times we move her down to the mattress, it seems she will always wake up a short while later and climb back in our bed.

Sometimes DH gets fed up and moves to C's twin bed or to the couch, but he won't accept that as an ongoing solution.

Short of buying a king sized bed (which I've been suggesting as a solution), what else could we try to help her stay on her own sleep surface?

Or is there another solution I'm overlooking?

Celebrating resurrection life after a heart transplant on 2/21/15!

Married since 8/28/04 to a big Bear
Mama to sweet & spirited Charlotte , born 9/08, determined & imaginative Zachary , born 6/12, one I'll see in heaven 10/10, and easy-going Elliott , born 4/14!
Pearl In Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost 4 night waking and sleep location

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to hate this....

1)time and maturity on her part. She will not be sleeping in your bed on her honeymoon (or even in college!)

2)Every time she wakes you up in a spot you don't want her to be in, you can move her.

3)a king size bed is AWESOME!

I know really, I do.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (07-24-2012), Llee (07-24-2012), mamacat (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I think I might for now move her twin in and sidecar that so she still has her own surface and isnt being jostled or kicking anyone and isnt disturbing you with her movements.Its not going backwards - they go thru different stages and needs and the point is for everyone to get as much sleep as possible

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (07-24-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Pearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming with sharks View Post
You're going to hate this....

1)time and maturity on her part. She will not be sleeping in your bed on her honeymoon (or even in college!)

2)Every time she wakes you up in a spot you don't want her to be in, you can move her.

3)a king size bed is AWESOME!

I know really, I do.

1) that's what I kind of figured....
2) we do move her sometimes and other times it's not worth waking up enough to move her
3) I know! I sooooo want one. I hope DH's job situation becomes more stable soon so he feels like we can afford it... I think that's his last hesitaiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
I think I might for now move her twin in and sidecar that so she still has her own surface and isnt being jostled or kicking anyone and isnt disturbing you with her movements.Its not going backwards - they go thru different stages and needs and the point is for everyone to get as much sleep as possible
I'll look into whether her twin would fit in our room or not. The mattress we have for her on our bedroom floor at the foot of our bed is from a porta-crib.

Mama to sweet & spirited Charlotte , born 9/08, determined & imaginative Zachary , born 6/12, one I'll see in heaven 10/10, and easy-going Elliott , born 4/14!
The Following User Says they are praying for Pearl In Oyster:
swimming with sharks (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

ditto to the others.

JD goes to sleep with us, we move him to his bed with a night light on, and somewhere between 12-6am, he rejoins us on some nights. IF we wake up, and IF he is asleep solidly, he gets moved back. If not, DH gets up at 6, and I'm up between 7-8 (except while kindergarten is out) so he can stay in our bed.

TB does this also. He falls asleep with us or in his own bed, and joins us in the morning. When he's old enough and doesn't have the need - he'll stop on his own.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
Pearl In Oyster (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Last night was a rough one. C came in crying. We tried to calm her down and get her settled to sleep, but everything we did riled her up more. She was trying to ask for something but because of the crying we couldn't understand what and she got more and more frustrated at not being understood and about us doing the "wrong" thing.

This morning I asked her about it and she said she wanted a different pillow...

Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

JD just joined us in bed. It's not quite 5am... he had to go pee. (hey! progress on that front!) and he's out again...
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote