Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seafood

Here goes:

1 med onion
1 red pepper
(1 green pepper if you like it, but I think it gets too bitter)
1 lg or 2-3 roma tomatoes
3-4 cloves of garlic
handful of cilantro

1 - 1.25 lb white fish fillets , cut crosswise into 3-4 inch pieces

Mince in a food processor until fine, but still with some texture. You could finely dice by hand if you prefer.

In a large skillet on med high, heat a small glug of olive oil, then add onion mixture. Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. (My dh likes crushed red pepper, too.) Bring to a simmer, add fish and cook until it flakes easily, usually just a few minutes. You can serve over rice or potatoes, or even mashed cauliflower or bread.

Canned tomatoes work, even ro-tel with the chile peppers.

Some recipes for soffrito out there use a mix of red and green peppers, some all green. You can use whatever you like or have on hand. Most don't include the tomato, or in smaller amounts. I generally use 2 parts pepper to 1 part onion to 1 - 2 parts tomatoes. (We like it saucy.)

This recipe for Salon Cakes works nicely. I forgot the egg once and nobody noticed it, so I just leave it out now and sub flax meal or something similar for the bread crumbs. GF crackers would work, almond meal. Lots of stuff. I've used all sorts of things based on what I have in the cabinet. And in general I use two small (7 oz) cans of salmon to one small can of anchovies.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
charla (01-19-2019), RiverRock (01-19-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #17
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

If you like curry, curried fish or shrimp is my absolute favorite. I use shrimp or any white fish in a broth with roma tomatoes, green peppers, and curry powder or paste. I can go look up the recipe if you like.
I like salmon in a teriyaki type sauce, with soy sauce, ginger, a little honey, etc. I have a Vietnamese recipe for steamed white fish with bean threads that's very enjoyable and healthy.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
charla (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #18
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

We are not huge curry fans, but I wouldn't mind trying a salmon teriyaki recipe.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:23 PM   #19
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

We had sardines for lunch and I was wondering if you had ever tried them?

This is a good first way if you have decent bread.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1949095

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
charla (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #20
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I used to like sardines as a kid, but not sure if I do now. I'll have to try. It's hard to stomach the idea of bones and all, even though I know it is healthy I tried mackerel not too long ago and really didn't like it.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 01-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #21
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

Is cooking with a bit of white wine an option for you? I have a recipe for sole (but any white fish would work) that is cooked in white wine and dill and includes sautéed mushrooms. I'll share it if you'd like. It was actually how we introduced our babies to fish (the alcohol cooks off during the process). After it was made, I'd throw some of it in a little food processor and they gobbled it up.
hollybells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hollybells For This Useful Post:
charla (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #22
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Hmm, I used to like sardines as a kid, but not sure if I do now. I'll have to try. It's hard to stomach the idea of bones and all, even though I know it is healthy I tried mackerel not too long ago and really didn't like it.
They have some that have the bones removed

charla (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #23
charla
Administrator

Hollybells, no, I don't buy or cook with alcohol, but when a recipe calls for it, I sub a splash of white wine vinegar and chicken broth. If you think that would work, I'd be open to the recipe. It sounds delicious.

Knitlove, where do you buy sardines without bones? Are they canned? Brand?

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 01-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #24
knitlove
Rose Garden

Both of these don't have bones. I had to look to try to find ones with bones last time I wanted them

charla (01-27-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #25
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I love canned sardines.

Trader Joe's has a great clam chowder with ingredients like you'd use yourself.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
charla (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #26
charla
Administrator

So last night I made shrimp. First I marinated it and then I dredged in white rice flour, buttermilk, gf panko and then pan fried. Not too bad. It was nice and crispy but it's still not my favorite.

Tonight I made salmon patties with a homemade tartar sauce and I actually really liked it!

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-29-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 07:41 PM   #27
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Quote:
We are not huge curry fans, but I wouldn't mind trying a salmon teriyaki recipe.
Sorry it took me a while to get back to this. We liked this recipe: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/ea...with-broccoli/

I reduced the honey to 1/3 cup to keep the sugar lower.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
charla (01-31-2019), Soliloquy (02-21-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #28
charla
Administrator

I made the sofrito fish recipe from Darcy. I actually ate half of a piece of fish, which is more than I can usually stomach. It didn't taste fishy at all which was a huge plus! I'm going to try a similar recipe with shrimp this week called spicy shrimp and green peppers skillet with onions, green peppers, jerk seasoning, red pepper flakes.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-11-2019), RiverRock (02-12-2019), Soliloquy (02-21-2019), ViolaMum (02-12-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #29
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So last night I made shrimp. First I marinated it and then I dredged in white rice flour, buttermilk, gf panko and then pan fried. Not too bad. It was nice and crispy but it's still not my favorite.

Tonight I made salmon patties with a homemade tartar sauce and I actually really liked it!
did you use canned salmon? I find I am easily able to eat canned salmon once a week (I'm trying to boost my intake of omega 3). I put it on top of a salad, mix it into soup, etc. Also, i don't eat out much but, when I do, I order seafood. Usually an entree salad with grilled salmon on top. I used to order salad with grilled chicken but switched after reading Dr Perricone's book.

I get the package of small cans at Costco.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
charla (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #30
charla
Administrator

This week I made salmon patties again. I used fresh salmon and baked it off with lemon and salt and pepper and then flaked it and made it into patties. Tonight I'm going to try to make crispy panfried tilapia. I haven't tried canned salmon yet.

ETA: Yes, one of the last times I ate out, I ordered grilled fish. It is so much tastier at a restaurant. I haven't gotten up the nerve to order salmon out because I just don't really like it all that much. I hate to pay an arm and a leg and not actually enjoy it.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Last edited by charla; 02-21-2019 at 02:13 PM.