Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #16
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Memes and Vines - help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBoo View Post
Yeet

Mothlamp

Welcome to Chili's

I have never of any of those, so therefore I fully exhausted knowledge of this subject with my one sentence upthread. And since I love them and can't help myself :

Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (01-16-2019), everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-16-2019), MegMarch (01-16-2019), Singingmom (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #17
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can anyone tell me why the following are funny/viral?

Yeet

Mothlamp

Welcome to Chili's
I've heard the first and last one referenced by my children. No idea why they are funny. No idea what they mean.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #18
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeet

Mothlamp

Welcome to Chili's
My dd explained about Yeet that vines like that often build on previous vines and are only funny if you have that background. Maybe the original was a funny moment, then other kids latch onto the word like "yeet" that the person said as they fell down or something, and make their own videos.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-16-2019), twoplustwo (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #19
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

There's vines that are straight up hilarious and ones that are just dumb. My kids communicate in vines at times .
Yeet is just a joyful sound, like woo or something, that's gained enormous traction. It's not necessarily funny or supposed to be funny. It's a good placeholder word to replace other stuff with.
Moth and lämp is long and involved and hard to explain and pretty much played out anyway. It's not dirty or bad, you can safely Google "moth memes explanation" and learn more if you want.
domesticzookeeper (01-16-2019), everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-16-2019), Singingmom (01-16-2019), tempus vernum (01-16-2019), twoplustwo (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #20
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

quote suddenly not working, but I get the moth thing now that I googled it.
Kind of like the "Karen" and other names thing in memes. Someone just starts it and it gets picked up.

Non-sequiter: I have a friend named Karen who makes her own "karen" memes that are related to herself or parenting teens or her job and they always crack me up.Either because

or because I am very easily amused.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16

Last edited by twoplustwo; 01-16-2019 at 10:46 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-16-2019), MegMarch (01-16-2019), Singingmom (01-16-2019), Soliloquy (01-16-2019), tempus vernum (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
The vine app is gone but there's a new one called Tick Tock that is supposedly very popular with the under 20 crowd. I guess it's all short videos and anyone can see your videos. I have no idea if it's 6 seconds like Vine was or if you can go longer. Like any social media app, it can be just for fun or really scary, depending on how savvy you are.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

I agree with your kids but I'd add satire or witty social commentary in addition to jokes.

Pictures with a saying, I call those images because that's what they're called in the Bible app. Shows how trendy I am.
My kids would agree with satire or witty social commentary cuz to them, those ARE jokes.

I am working on using image instead

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
There's vines that are straight up hilarious and ones that are just dumb. My kids communicate in vines at times .
Yeet is just a joyful sound, like woo or something, that's gained enormous traction. It's not necessarily funny or supposed to be funny. It's a good placeholder word to replace other stuff with.
Moth and lämp is long and involved and hard to explain and pretty much played out anyway. It's not dirty or bad, you can safely Google "moth memes explanation" and learn more if you want.
Yes to yeet, moth, etc definitions

AND yes to straight up hilarious and ones that are dumb. I just kinda cuz I do find a LOT dumb and don't know why they are circulating. BUT we do laugh a lot at vines here

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-16-2019), twoplustwo (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #22
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

Read the Wikipedia on "Internet meme". It says everything I want to say, lol.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #23
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by weerach View Post
I've got to admit I just roll my eyes at stuff like memes and vines. It all just seems like a huge waste of time to me
Yeah, it's true. But it's a great way to connect with tweens and teens. We really miss out on a lot if we don't engage with them at their level (as long as it's clean).

I'm sure my middle-age ways of passing the time seem silly to them, too.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-16-2019), MaybeGracie (01-16-2019), MegMarch (01-16-2019), Reva (01-21-2019), Singingmom (01-16-2019), tempus vernum (01-16-2019), Virginia (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #24
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Yeah, it's true. But it's a great way to connect with tweens and teens. We really miss out on a lot if we don't engage with them at their level (as long as it's clean).

I'm sure my middle-age ways of passing the time seem silly to them, too.
Yep. I try so hard. Some days I am just and but I try

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #25
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

My "problem" is that my teen doesn't connect with other teens over this stuff, and she feels like she is missing out, and she can't join the conversations. This is because it all seems stupid to her.

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #26
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My "problem" is that my teen doesn't connect with other teens over this stuff, and she feels like she is missing out, and she can't join the conversations. This is because it all seems stupid to her.
Does she actually *want* to learn to appreciate this "stupid stuff", though?

I mean, I was definitely out-of-step with most teens as a teen, but while I wanted to not be left out, I didn't really want to *be* in-step with them, just accepted by them - I didn't want to change the things I liked or spent time doing. The internet essay "Why Nerds are Unpopular" pretty much summed up my teen years: yes, I was unpopular, and I didn't like being unpopular, but when it came down to it, I was not willing to do what it took to *be* popular. If the price of being popular is having to continually spend a huge chunk of one's time on "stupid stuff" - time that could have been spent on better things - then maybe not being popular, not connecting, is worth the cost .

On a pragmatic level, she could probably google the dominant memes referenced in her group, follow a few rabbit trails to connected stuff, and get a handle on the basic references in order to follow along and at least understand what's going on, even if she doesn't appreciate it. With everything being so referential, it's an uphill slog at the beginning, because there's six different things to get in every in-joke, and it doesn't make sense till you've figured out all six. But a given group is probably pulling from the same pool of references, so once you've sorted out 20-30 things, or 50, then you pretty much have all the raw material sorted out - everything else is just variations on a theme.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (01-16-2019), everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-16-2019), MegMarch (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #27
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty-two View Post

I mean, I was definitely out-of-step with most teens as a teen, but while I wanted to not be left out, I didn't really want to *be* in-step with them, just accepted by them - I didn't want to change the things I liked or spent time doing. The internet essay "Why Nerds are Unpopular" pretty much summed up my teen years: yes, I was unpopular, and I didn't like being unpopular, but when it came down to it, I was not willing to do what it took to *be* popular. If the price of being popular is having to continually spend a huge chunk of one's time on "stupid stuff" - time that could have been spent on better things - then maybe not being popular, not connecting, is worth the cost .
This is her. She doesn't care a whit about it, but she doesn't want to feel left out either. Tough spot for sure!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:08 AM   #28
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty-two View Post

This is totally my dd. Twice she has mentioned about not being popular. The first time she said something in late Elementary and I said - do you want to be popular? And she said, not really, I just don't understand it.

The 2nd time was last year in 6th grade (middle school). She said "I am not really popular, but it would be so much work to try and be popular. I can't imagine having to do that." I said exactly, you have your music and soccer and scouts. Maybe the girls who are really good at being popular that is because they treat it like a travel sport - it's their thing and they put the effort into it. And I said the important thing is that you are happy and you have several close friends. And she agreed, she likes what she likes and she likes her friends who are like her. And honestly I am proud of her and her desire to not want to be like "the group". I love it. But not everyone places value on that, so it's hard being a teen.

My ds on the other hand is deeply involved in how he looks and dresses and you can just tell by the way he sits and walks he is cool (or thinks he is anyway).
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)

Last edited by twoplustwo; 01-17-2019 at 06:10 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #29
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Memes and Vines - help!!

Quote:

Yeet

Mothlamp

Welcome to Chili's

I’ll try
Sometimes things just go viral

Yeet— there’s a dance that accompanies it, so that is/was popular. The saying “yeet” is kind of used as an exclamation of excitement. Example: I’m playing s game of pickup basketball and I hit a three-point shot, so I exclaim, “Yah YEET!” As I gloat.

Moth lamp— we all know that moths are drawn to light. So mothlamp memes just play on that fact but kind of cast moths as desperately NEEEEEEDING a lamp, doing anything to get to a lamp, etc. I’ve also found that these memes tend to play on other memes to be funny. I think they’re funny :shift

Hi, welcome to Chili’s is old! Like three years old. It based on a vine of a dude walking into the bathroom and saying, “hi, welcome to chili’s” while wearing only his boxer shorts. I don’t understand why it went viral and is funny, but it did.

Vines and memes are an important part of pop culture and an important element of communication among our young people. They provide a common language, almost, and they can be referenced by our teens or alluded to in conversations. Since everyone knows them, referencing a popular meme or vine is an instant way to bond with people or show that you’re up-to-speed on your pop culture.

As an aside, Vine is not as popular now as it was a few years ago.

If you just google examples of all of these, you can kind of get a better understanding for the nuances of them. Also if you hang out with teens a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-17-2019), Soliloquy (01-21-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #30
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I can appreciate that. I just couldn't stomach a lot of the stupid, silly stuff that was pop culture when I was teen, either. I was able to find my little tribe who were interested in things that interested me, too. It just takes longer.

Some of them are incredibly clever, though. They're not all stupid and related to pop culture. Many of them are very witty social commentary. Like the cartoons in the New Yorker. Not stupid, silly, or trite, but thought provoking.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (01-17-2019), everybody's mother (01-18-2019), KarenBoo (01-17-2019), twoplustwo (01-18-2019)