Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
Default do you have any good recipes for blackberries?

Where we live there are tons of wild blackberries. I usually make blackberry crisp, pie, and topping for our ice cream. I also sometimes make blackberry bars, but I always lose the recipe for that and have to find a new one each year.

Anyway, do you have any good recipes for blackberries? I'm vegan but you can share non-vegan recipes if you want, because I can veganize just about any recipe.

Thanks in advance!

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do you have any good recipes for blackberries?

I love adding blackberries to my gingerbread cake recipe. They also go nicely in gingerbread cookies. I can share recipes for either of those if you don't already have one you like.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, that sounds good! I don't have a favorite recipe for gingerbread cake or cookies. I would love to see your recipes.

gentlechristianmothers
Old 07-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I just mix them into my homemade yogurt, but I'm afraid that can't be veganized. Is here some kind of soy yogurt?

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
flowermama (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Mmm! I've made soy yogurt before, but haven't done it in a long time. My mom was talking about buying me a yogurt maker the other day. I hope she does!

We love soy yogurt, but I haven't been able to find plain soy yogurt for awhile, though. I hope I can find some soon. I found some plain coconut yogurt, but it was so expensive! It was $2.00 for one little container. Ugh!

gentlechristianmothers
Old 07-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

Gingerbread Cookies (adapted from here):

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg yolk
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1 cup blackberries, slightly mashed

1. Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in molasses and egg yolk. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Blend into the molasses mixture until smooth. Fold in blackberries. Cover and chill for one hour.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes and place on ungreased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until firm. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks. Frost or decorate when cool.

Gingerbread (adapted from here):

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup molasses
1/2 cup applesauce
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 cup hot water
1 cup blackberries

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.

3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Fold in the blackberries. Pour into the prepared pan.

4. Bake for 1 hour, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving. Serve with whipped cream.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
Allison (07-26-2014), cbmk4 (07-25-2014), flowermama (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I like about making my own. It's cheaper and always plain.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
flowermama (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I made an amazing baked oatmeal (that was actually vegan) on Canada day with raspberries in it. I can't find the recipe, because I wanted to make it with blackberries for tomorrow morning

I love blackberries, and wish I had even a portion of the access you have to the berries.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
flowermama (07-25-2014), Hermana Linda (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

MamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to all

This post makes me want cobbler..yummy!i just do a basic cobbler with biscuits on top.
MamaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaSam For This Useful Post:
flowermama (07-25-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #10
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Mine were almost going bad so I threw them in some muffins instead of blueberries and they were great!

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
flowermama (07-26-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
TwoMams
Seedling Rose

TwoMams is on a distinguished road

Mmm we have wild blackberries around the place, too. So much fun to pick with the kiddies. I tend to just bag them and keep them frozen and pull out a handful now and then for pancakes, smoothies, through apple crumble. A blackberry jam would be nice!
TwoMams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TwoMams For This Useful Post:
flowermama (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:49 PM   #12
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Thank you everyone for all the great ideas!

Thank you for posting those recipes, Cynthia!

Kristin, baked oatmeal with blackberries sounds good! I hope you found the recipe! I think we're going to have a lot of blackberries this year. The weather seems to be really good for it. I can't believe so many of them are ripe already. You're welcome to come and pick some.

MamaSam, I'll have to look up how to make a cobbler. That sounds good, too.

I decided to make some blackberry muffins the other day, and I added ginger and cinnamon, and they were good! I actually put two cups of blackberries in them, so they were full of blackberries.

It's a family tradition for us to pick blackberries together. I actually used to do it with my parents when I was a little girl, and where we used to pick has been developed and the berries are gone. So it's kind of neat that our property has so many berries on it.

Mom is going to come over tomorrow and pick some with us, and we are going to make some jam.

gentlechristianmothers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (07-29-2014), MaybeGracie (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

http://danielleayersjones.com/2010/08/08/lazy-day-duff/
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
flowermama (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute

Blackberry wine cake is our favorite. We now have a list of people who request it.
The original recipe calls for 4 eggs, but I made it before with egg substitutes and it was fine, so I think it would work.

1 box white cake mix (or you can use your favorite recipe and just add the other things).
1/3 C chopped nuts (hazelnuts are my favorite, but pecans or walnuts are good, too).
2 T brown sugar
1 pkg blackberry jello
2 1/2 C blackberry wine,divided
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 C sugar (or less plus 1/2 tsp cornstarch)
4 eggs
cinnamon
3 T butter substitute plus enough to grease pan
flour to dust the pan
Preheat your oven to 350. Grease a bundt pan and flour it. Sprinkle the nuts and the brown sugar. Melt the butter and drizzle it over the nut and sugar mixture. It carmelizes into pure loveliness. In a large bowl, mix the cake mix (or dry ingredients for a white cake), the jello powder, eggs, wine, and oil along with 1 C of the blackberries. When it is all well blended, pour into the pan and bake for about an hour and 10 minutes.

While the cake is baking, cook the wine and sugar and the remaining blackberries until it is reduced into a syrup. I like to add a dash or two of cinnamon. If you don't want to use all that sugar, you can use only a half cup of sugar and instead reserve about a third of a cup of the wine to mix with the cornstarch and then use that to thicken the syrup.

Once the cake is done, let it cool for about 15 minutes, then invert it onto a plate. Let the syrup cool to room temperature and drizzle it over the cake.

It is really scrumptious.

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dulce de leche For This Useful Post:
flowermama (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #15
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Amy, that looks yummy!

Dulce, that cake sounds amazing!

I wonder where I could get blackberry wine. I was curious to see if I could make it and found this recipe, and it doesn't sound too hard: http://southernfood.about.com/od/berries/r/bl80613d.htm I don't know what I'd do with that much wine, though.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Oh, for some reason that made me think of Anne of Green Gables and raspberry cordial. So I looked up blackberry cordial, and I think I might try that out. This youtube video makes it sound super easy, though the measurements are in kilograms and such, which I'm pathetically ignorant about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMi_7QlygsQ

gentlechristianmothers
The Following User Says Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (07-30-2014)