Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default nice but easy dinner?

My mom is coming over on Thursday for Mother's Day dinner. She isn't a picky eater and will be happy just not having to cook, but I have no ideas about what to make. Dh can't eat dairy, so that cuts out everything I like to cook. Cheeeese!!! Cream!!!! I don't really love cooking, and I am not going to want to put a lot of energy into something fancy. I'm guessing ds will want to make a cake (already have a recipe), but if we do that, I want the rest of it to be easy. Ideas?? (No seafood- I don't like it.)

Dh will be at the grocery store that morning, but whatever I ask him to get needs to be pretty clear cut. He never asks for help when he can't find stuff. I honestly thought about take out but trying to keep costs down.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nice but easy dinner?

What I'm making tonight is easy if you like Asian type stuff. I'm just throwing some
Chicken thighs in a pan with some soy sauce, garlic, a little water and probably a little brown sugar. Let that cook with a lid on. Flip occasionally. It will absorb most of the liquid. Then boil some Noodles and toss with a little of the sauce. Add shredded carrots and cabbage and whatever else. Add some Veggies to the chicken until heated and it's done.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
esperanza (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I like to do a roast chicken, with lemon and herbs and onion chunks in the cavity, s&p and oil on top. I surround that with lots of big carrot pieces, small or chunked potatoes, onions, shallots and lemon wedges. I toss all the veggies in oil, s&p, and maybe toss in some herb sprigs. You can make gravy with the drippings and serve it on the side.

Serve with arugula, diced shallots, and a dressing made from oil, lemon juice, honey, parsley and salt. You can add some extras to suit your family, like berries, shaved parm, thin radish slices?
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

This is nice and easy, but a little pricey.

Put a roast in the crock pot. Add chopped raw potatoes and either chopped carrots or a bag of baby carrots. Pour a packet of onion soup mix over the top and enough water that it almost covers the roast. Cook for a long time- like 18 hours is good. If you put it in the night before it's definitely ready by dinner time. Super easy and people love it! If you try to shorten the cooking time it will be done but tough. If you cook it long enough it melts in your mouth.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
esperanza (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I love to make lemon rosemary chicken.
Juice and zest two lemons. Put the juice in a bag, along with a couple tablespoons olive oil, some salt and pepper, a few cloves of minced garlic, and of course, rosemary.
Then, cut some chicken breasts in half lengthwise (so they are thinner. All the breasts are so thick these days!) Put it in the bag and let it sit.

You can probably do an internet search if you want to find exact quantities. I am usually in a hurry, so I don't bother. Everyone loves it. I make it once a month without fail.

Recently, I have started roasting red potatoes while the chicken is marinating. I quarter them, put them on a sheet pan, and then drizzle olive oil and garlic, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then roast them at 400 for about 20 minutes. Then, I take them out, add a bag of fresh green beans, drizzle with some more oil and salt/pepper/garlic and stir it all round, then put the chicken on top and bake for 20-30 minutes until the chicken is done.
I make a quick salad or if I don't have salad greens, I will roast a bag of baby carrots in the oven while the chicken/potatoes/green beans are cooking. (Just put them in a square baking pan, drizzle with oil, salt, pepper, garlic at minimum, maybe add some rosemary and thyme. Stir it all around and toss in the oven. Stir it once or twice while you open the oven to check the chicken.

I got the idea to do the chicken with the potatoes from cookingclassy.com, which has a lot of sheet pan dinners. Her similar recipe is more complicated, but you could look there to see it.
ETA here it is.
http://www.cookingclassy.com/lemon-c...et-pan-dinner/
I don't make my chicken like that, but it is close. I certainly don't cut them up into bite size pieces. I also don't use lemon anywhere except in the chicken marinade. I wish I could tell you how long I cook the chicken, though. It is more like "Oh, I better get that chicken out!" I use stoneware, so I don't have to worry about burning the veggies.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 05-15-2017 at 08:24 PM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
esperanza (05-16-2017)