Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
JuneOctober

Default Meal Planning 101

I need a meal planning 101. Dh normally does about 80% of the cooking. Its something that relaxes him and when our girls were really little it let me focus on them. Mostly one needed to be fed etc. DH is working out of state for the next several months (has been since october and comes home in july) and our dinners have been hodge podge and last minute. I'd like to continue to do most of the cooking when DH comes home. I know he would like to cook a meal or 2 a week but the rest of the week I'll be doing it.

We keep a stocked pantry so most of the time I have items on hand. I'm just not sure how to make up a meal plan.

My mother always did a 3 week rotation of meals switching it up from time to time. DH's mother did the same 5 meals every week with some variation.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
mokamoto
Climbing Rose

Mama to two little sweetpeas and loving wife to my Darling tech buff

mokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to all
Default Re: Meal Planning 101

sorry no ideas to share. I need help with this, too. There is a website that was recommended to me, but basic pointers are always helpful. I'll find that site for you if you'd like. I have it bookmarked.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

I just make a list of all the meals I love... and then depending on what I have in the pantry, I pick 3 or 4 a week and plan to eat leftovers every other day...
April G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to April G For This Useful Post:
mokamoto (03-23-2010)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

I also made a list of all of our favorite meals that I make... Just the main dishes (meatloaf, lemon pepper chicken, etc.) Then I made a chart with boxes like a calendar, except there were no dates or days and there were 5 rows of 7 boxes. For each column I figured out a theme (crock pot, easy, not really messy to sit in the floor and eat, leftovers, hard to fix/put together) and I assigned my meals in those categories. Then I wracked my brain for other meals we liked but that weren't staple meals (tamale pie, pot pie) and put them in the rotation where they belong. I ended up having five weeks worth of different meals with 2 days a week that are leftovers/eat away from home and 2 times per 5 weeks that are to try new recipes.

We've been doing that rotation for over a year, and no one else realizes it's a rotation, but I feel like I need another weeks worth of meals because I'm getting tired of fixing the same things.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organique Gal View Post
I just make a list of all the meals I love... and then depending on what I have in the pantry, I pick 3 or 4 a week and plan to eat leftovers every other day...
This is one way I've done it. I've also sat down with a list of meals, a quick pantry/freezer inventory, and picked meals for every day of the month. For some reason, this takes me several hours So I've recently been trying something different. I have a 2 week rotation of meals:

Monday: Leftovers
Tuesday: Tacos
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Beans & Rice
Friday: Slab of Meat with rice or taters
Saturday: Pizza & Salad
Sunday: Leftovers

Monday: Casserole
Tuesday: Soup/Dish, Bean
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Breakfast
Friday: Hot Dogs/ Hamburgers/ Sandwiches/ Meatloaf w/taters or rice
Saturday: Soup/Dish, Non-bean
Sunday: Noodle Soup or Stirfry

Then I have a list of the meals in each category (if some look a little bizarre, it's because we are wheat, dairy & soy-free ):
Beans & Rice/Tacos
Black-eyed Peas w/Sausage & Rice
Mexican Rice & Beans w/Sausage & Chicken
Mujadara
Rice & Beans w/Meat
Rice, Beans & Taco Meat

Breakfast
Crepes
Apple Oatmeal
Eggs
French Toast
Pancakes
Pumpkin Bread
Pumpkin Oatmeal
Stovetop Oatmeal
Turkey Sausage, Patties

Casserole
Autumn Casserole
Beef & Lentil Bake
Cornbread Mexican Casserole
Egyptian Lentils
Impossible Cheeseburger Pie
Lentil Loaf
Lima Bean Casserole Cassoulet CrockPot Recipe
Meat & Potato Lasagna

Hot Dogs/Burgers/Meatloaf w/Taters or Rice
Chicken Sandwich
Pigs in a Blanket
Salmon Burger
Tuna Sandwich
Turkey Burger
Italian Turkey Burgers

Pizza
Pepperoni Pizza
Rancho Pizza

Rice Pasta or Noodles
Chicken Pasta w/Spinach
Curried Apple Chicken with Pasta
Green Curry with Chicken
Red Curry with Chicken or Beef
Rice Pasta w/Red Sauce & Meat
Stew Beef with Rice Pasta
Lasagna

Slab of Meat w/Taters or Rice
Chicken Breast
Crockpot Steak and Potatoes
Mini Meatloaves and Mashed Potatoes
Oven Fried Chicken, Breasts
Oven Fried Chicken, Drumsticks
Pork Sausage
Pork Tenderloin
Steak
Sweet Potato Crusted Chicken
Whole Roast Chicken

Soup/Dish, Bean
Bean Soup
Black Bean Soup
Black-eyed Pea Soup
Crockpot Black-eyed Pea Soup
CrockPot Boston Baked Beans Recipe
Crockpot Coconut "Lamb" Curry
Crockpot Falafel
Curried Split Pea Soup
Curry Lentils with Chicken
Foul Modammas
Hummus
Italian Chili
Lentil Stew
Moroccan Lentil Soup
Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry
Red Lentil Soup
Split Pea Soup
Sweet and Spicy Chili
Taco Soup
Tarka Dhal
White Chili
Yellow Split Pea Dhal
Yellow Split Pea Soup
Yellow Split Pea Stew
Lentil Lemon Soup

Soup/Dish, Non-bean
A1 Beef Stew
Beef & Butternut Chili
Autumn Beef Stew
Mexican Chicken Soup
Biscuits & Sausage Gravy
CrockPot Vietnamese Pho Soup Recipe
Curry, Chicken
Curry, Turkey
Ginger Chicken Stirfry
Fried Rice

Taters/Side Dish
Sweet Potato Soup
French Fries
Baked/Boiled/Mashed Taters
Yellow/Brown/White Rice
Spanish Rice
CrockPot Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Curry and Honey

I keep all these recipes in a 3-ring binder in my kitchen. The recipes are in plastic sleeves so the paper doesn't get dirty while cooking. So I'll take a quick look around my kitchen, pantry & freezer, as well as the grocery circulars to see what's on sale, and I try to plan 2 weeks at a time.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Also, there is a meal-planning sticky: http://gentlechristianmothers.com/co...d.php?t=227272

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
cyndib
Rose Blossom

cyndib will become famous soon enough

For the past couple months I've been doing 2 week meal plans...I plan one weekend, every meal and snacks, and do all shopping at once. I use Excel since it makes me feel all organized and it's the one thing that makes me feel like i'm still in the work-world....HA!
Anyways, For me, the less times i set foot in the grocery store, the less money I spend. I try to make things using what we already have and what's on sale at the grocery store, and as I'm planning meals, I make my grocery list based and what i don't have.

Anyways....I few weeks ago I realized that I had waaay more chicken on hand than I thought. (DH works for a food wholesaler, and I'm able to get meats at wholesale and I store them in my grandmother's deep freeze 'till i'm ready to use them.) Well, I must've gotten ahead of myself in ordering, and when digging through grandmother's freezer, found out I had 20 pounds of chicken breast on hand and 15 pounds of breaded chicken tenderloins. (yikes!!!) I thought we would get in a 'chicken rut', but it's actually been wonderful since I've been forced to get online and find different chicken breast recipes and we've been enjoying the variety.
Mom to Lydia, our water baby (10/2009)
Mom to Isaac, born at home (2/2012)
cyndib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute

Meal planning examples are part of the reason I started my cooking blog but I have been terrible about keeping it updated and have only put one example in so far. I've really got to carve out some time to keep my blog current!

To answer your question . . .

I have a few steps that keep it simple for me.

1. Decide how many nights I'll need to cook meals with meat. When dh works his day job he takes leftovers for lunch. He works 12-14 hour days so he needs lots of hearty food. He works Thu-Sun at this job.

In the first few years of my home making I did this to keep it simple: Night 1--Chicken recipe, Night 2--Pork or Beef Recipe, Night 3--Ground Turkey or Ground Beef Recipe, Night 4--Pasta or Fish Recipe or Leftovers

2. Decide how many of the "meat nights" will be leftovers. If I'm making something big like pot roast or a whole chicken or a pan of lasagna we have plenty for a meal that night, dh's lunch the next day and a meal (plus a new side) the next night.

3. Plan meatless or kid-friendly meals for remaining (3) nights.

4. Plan sides.

I put these plans in Excel and then print them on a Menu that goes on the fridge. I keep the hard copies for recipe ideas when I'm stuck. I try to add at least two new recipes a month that I've never tried before.

All breakfasts, lunches, snacks and desserts on the menu are geared toward the children. Each day has a certain breakfast week after week. They can always have cereal, too. Each day has a certain lunch week after week. It's stuff they love. If they ask for something new, I take off something they were tired of the week before and add in the new thing until they are ready for change. Snacks rotate among several of their favs. Desserts are the same. They can always have fruit, applesauce or yogurt if it's not meal or snack time and they are hungry.

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
mariposa
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

A picture of me taken by J. :)

mariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond repute

Love, your title...I need to take this "class", too!
Debbie
mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoJGJ View Post
I also made a list of all of our favorite meals that I make... Just the main dishes (meatloaf, lemon pepper chicken, etc.) Then I made a chart with boxes like a calendar, except there were no dates or days and there were 5 rows of 7 boxes. For each column I figured out a theme (crock pot, easy, not really messy to sit in the floor and eat, leftovers, hard to fix/put together) and I assigned my meals in those categories. Then I wracked my brain for other meals we liked but that weren't staple meals (tamale pie, pot pie) and put them in the rotation where they belong. I ended up having five weeks worth of different meals with 2 days a week that are leftovers/eat away from home and 2 times per 5 weeks that are to try new recipes.

We've been doing that rotation for over a year, and no one else realizes it's a rotation, but I feel like I need another weeks worth of meals because I'm getting tired of fixing the same things.
this is a great idea!
!

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

i just saw allisons post, that is great too...
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
thomer
Rose Garden

thomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond repute

I like cooking and trying new things so I've shyed away from the 2 week rotating meal plan. But there are plenty of things I make often, especially when it's busy or I see I'll be PMSy

I put my meal plan on Google Calendar and then have it email me a daily schedule (which includes DH's calendar and my appointments too) and if I'm really busy that day, I'll have it text me an hour before dinner with the recipe.
It's nice because I can text myself the day before too if I need to defrost something or soak beans or something
Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #12
geegee

I need help here too.