Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
solatido
Rose Trellis

solatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

My 3.5 year old is a good candidate for this book in theory- bright, good vocabulary, and she can recognize some letters. Most importantly, she WANTS to do "school" and we tried a few lessons from the book, which she loved. But she REALLY doesn't get the "say it fast" part. Isn't that kind of crucial to the method- building sound awareness? I guess we can just do the letter sounds parts for now, since she wants to do something but the talking games are just beyond her right now so I'm not sure whether to keep trying those (as we move on, so they will probably just get harder), moving on if she doesn't get it in a few tries, or to just skip them!
solatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

We skipped that and the rhyming portions...all three times

I will say that at some point, we did have to put the book down for a month or so because after awhile, the blending (or 'say it fast') became a block. It's not something imo you can make them understand by using that 'game'. I put it down with dd1 (my current English major) when we couldn't get 'c' 'a' 't' to become 'cat'. After a month of not looking at it, she jumped right back in and did fine.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19

Last edited by CelticJourney; 02-01-2016 at 07:32 AM.
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
solatido (02-01-2016), Teacher Mom (02-10-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
We skipped that and the rhyming portions...all three times

I will say that at some point, we did have to put the book down for a month or so because after awhile, the blending (or 'say it fast') became a block. It's not something imo you can make them understand by using that 'game'. I put it down with dd1 (my current English major) when we couldn't get 'c' 'a' 't' to become 'cat'. After a month of not looking at it, she jumped right back in and did fine.
This happened with a couple of my kids. I put the book up for a couple of months, and when we tried again, suddenly the "say it fast" part wasn't an issue and they both continued and finished the book after that.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
mamacat (02-01-2016), solatido (02-04-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I would use the parts that work for her and maybe instead of saying say it fast you could say - "say (fill in blank)

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
solatido (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 05:40 AM   #5
solatido
Rose Trellis

solatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond repute

She really wants to learn to write (so knowing what the letters looks like is kind of important), so I guess we will just work on the letter sounds for now and go back for the other stuff later then. She is definitely not ready! I didn't even try with T at this age, so it is hard to figure out how to nurture her desire to learn but keep it developmentally appropriate.
The Following User Says Thank You to solatido For This Useful Post:
mamacat (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

It is so different with each child

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
solatido (02-11-2016), Teacher Mom (02-10-2016), Zooey (02-17-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 01:45 AM   #7
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute

so true....I used Bob books with my daughter...easy peasy....but my son it was 100 easy lessons and he was MUCH older....

all kids learn differently

Teacher Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teacher Mom For This Useful Post:
solatido (02-11-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #8
mamacat
Rose Garden

My older to learn to read child also wanted to write Maybe you could start with a magna doodle board and some tracing letters printouts or simple dot to dots.My dd wa content to have lined paper and make squiggles across the page (after page) when very young for writing for a long time before she could actually write anything.It is exercising those writing muscles for later.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
solatido (02-11-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future

I have used the "Get Ready For The Code, Get Set For the Code, Go For The Code" books for my young ones who want to "do school". It is really gentle letter exposure (both reading and writing, and involves fine motor coloring and tracing skills). Plus they are pretty cheap. There is one teacher's manual for all three books.
mamacat (02-16-2016), MercyInDisguise (02-16-2016), solatido (02-17-2016), ValiantJoy07 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #10
solatido
Rose Trellis

I need to get a job to fund my curriculum buying "problem."

We're just taking it slowly! I think we're going to make an alphabet book together. Last week she didn't want to work from the book, and honestly my 1 yo is cutting molars and we barely get the 6yo's stuff done so that is FINE with me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solatido For This Useful Post:
mamacat (02-17-2016), RoseOfGrace (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #11
mamacat
Rose Garden

Alphabet book would be great either being creative or using free printouts online

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 02-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #12
RoseOfGrace
Rose Bouquet

INTJ, Married 14 yrs to INTJ hubby, DS1 10, DD 7, DS2 3, DD2 born 1-19-16, and 3 waiting for me in heaven.

RoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of lightRoseOfGrace is a glorious beacon of light

You could also search YouTube for The Letter People videos. The videos are really old (1980's), but my kids have found them to be really helpful especially for the blending function. Late in the video series, the Letter People play a tv game show where they realize their various sounds can make words. It is pretty cute and helps the kids hear and see the sounds and letters being blended into words. This series used to be public school curriculum and was very well loved by many.
RoseOfGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #13
matildablewett
Newly Planted

I keep trying to be a better mom.

matildablewett is on a distinguished road

I used it for my oldest, but I didn't finish it. She was older, but it got to the point where, (1), she didn't need it anymore; and (2) I found a different book and started her on reading books.

I have a friend that used it for both of her boys and she really liked it. I didn't like the different characters, but it might be that for younger children it's easier to identify. My youngest seems like he's more into learning to read early. I have the BOB books for him, so we'll see.
matildablewett is offline   Reply With Quote