Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Do You Have a White Sink? I need some feedback

We're in the early stages of sink shopping. Our current sink is shallow, stainless steel and basic it does it's job.

Some thing is wrong with our faucet (it is loose and broken and needs to be replaced) we have some concerns about the wood under the sink and the surrounding area. The counters are tile and gross (hygienically speaking, I think they're pretty and unique) and so we're talking about just moving forward with replacing the counters, replacing and repairing the wood at the back of the sink (needs to be done ASAP because mold could be growing if the faucet has been linking unbeknownst to us) and replacing the sink.

I want a farm sink. My Mom does too (we share a home) but she is encouraging us to go with a dark color. If we go dark I want to invest in a copper sink. Otherwise I want white.

How terrible are white sinks? If you were investing in a sink what color would you go with?

My Mom has a tendency to go with dark things "to hide dirt" or "to be cozy" and the colors she chose for her living room ARE cozy but they suck all the light a constant light suck and I feel like I'm drowning in the lack of light. (I love the color. I just can't get over how the particular color she chose absorb light!!!!!)

I'm the only one who regularly scours the sink, I think I can live with it. but I was wondering if there were other options some one more savvy in these things could point us towards...Feed back on white sinks... I just need some advice, it's a big investment and I want to get the best thing.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Have a White Sink? I need some feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
We're in the early stages of sink shopping. Our current sink is shallow, stainless steel and basic it does it's job.

Some thing is wrong with our faucet (it is loose and broken and needs to be replaced) we have some concerns about the wood under the sink and the surrounding area. The counters are tile and gross (hygienically speaking, I think they're pretty and unique) and so we're talking about just moving forward with replacing the counters, replacing and repairing the wood at the back of the sink (needs to be done ASAP because mold could be growing if the faucet has been linking unbeknownst to us) and replacing the sink.

I want a farm sink. My Mom does too (we share a home) but she is encouraging us to go with a dark color. If we go dark I want to invest in a copper sink. Otherwise I want white.

How terrible are white sinks? If you were investing in a sink what color would you go with?

My Mom has a tendency to go with dark things "to hide dirt" or "to be cozy" and the colors she chose for her living room ARE cozy but they suck all the light a constant light suck and I feel like I'm drowning in the lack of light. (I love the color. I just can't get over how the particular color she chose absorb light!!!!!)

I'm the only one who regularly scours the sink, I think I can live with it. but I was wondering if there were other options some one more savvy in these things could point us towards...Feed back on white sinks... I just need some advice, it's a big investment and I want to get the best thing.

I love the look of a white farm house sink. I'm scared to scratch the porcelain. We're compromising with a stainless farmhouse sink (as of right now that's where we're leaning. We can get a double sink that way. I do LOVE the look of the copper ones as well. I know that's probably no help with your situation.

Have you looked at Houzz.com? They have a lot of pictures & you can look at "farmhouse sinks" or some other filter & (mostly) get what you're looking for. You can see the sinks against different woods, etc. It's free but you do have to sign up.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
ValiantJoy07 (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a white sink. I loved it. It didn't get stained, and the marks that pots and pans leave are easily scrubbed off with some Barkeeper's Friend powder.
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blessedwithboys For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (02-06-2016), Llee (02-08-2016), MudPies (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
We've had a white sink. I loved it. It didn't get stained, and the marks that pots and pans leave are easily scrubbed off with some Barkeeper's Friend powder.
The first thing I've done upon buying both our houses was to replace the ugly, stainless steel sinks. I LOVE white sinks.

They clean easily with bon Ami or bar keepers friend.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (02-06-2016), ValiantJoy07 (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
greenleafknitter
Climbing Rose

greenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond repute

We put in white farmhouse sink when we renovated our kitchen and LOVE it. Ours is made from enameled cast iron and it's very easy to clean. I just scrub it with baking soda and a scouring pad. We've had it a year and it still looks brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD M - 10/08

DS A - 3/12

greenleafknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenleafknitter For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-06-2016), ValiantJoy07 (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've had white stinks for years and while you can clean them, they do start looking scratched and stained after a few years. Cast iron and stainless steel pans are rough on them. Coffee and tea stain them. Coffee stains are especially hard to get out after awhile. I do think they look very pretty when nice and new and clean but I'm not sure I'd purposely buy one. Then again, I've really never had anything else so maybe I don't know what the alternatives would be like.
rjy9343 (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
Well, I've had white stinks for years and while you can clean them, they do start looking scratched and stained after a few years. Cast iron and stainless steel pans are rough on them. Coffee and tea stain them. Coffee stains are especially hard to get out after awhile. I do think they look very pretty when nice and new and clean but I'm not sure I'd purposely buy one. Then again, I've really never had anything else so maybe I don't know what the alternatives would be like.
I don't drink coffee, so I can't comment on that. Bar keepers friend every week didn't keep yours white?
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

I think anything looks dirty if you don't clean it, so go with what you love. I used to clean for a house that had a white sink and at the time I thought it was a pain to keep looking clean, but in retrospect I think it might have been easier than stainless steel. I feel like my sink always looks dirty.

Dh would love a farmhouse sink. I love them too, but it is not going to happen so I have gotten over it.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dandelion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Once it gets scratched it'll never look clean again. It's what I hate about our white sink. With kids who help with dishes, it's inevitable.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
rjy9343 (02-06-2016), twoplustwo (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #10
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
I don't drink coffee, so I can't comment on that. Bar keepers friend every week didn't keep yours white?
I think it's the coffee and the fact that I don't clean it often enough. Also, parts of ours have had the white part (enamel) flake off and it's black (cast iron?) underneath.

Here's my dirty sink:

Here's my clean sink:

I think the pictures look better than irl. All the black spots you see are enamel that has come off. The bottoms of the sinks are slightly yellowed and have small spots and scratches. These are about 16 years old. And I don't clean them every week.

Last edited by heartofjoy; 02-06-2016 at 10:40 AM. Reason: add spoilers for picture size
heartofjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heartofjoy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

These are super helpful. Thanks for the pictures. We're considering a granite farm sink. my mom found it, I haven't looked into it. She was saying she wanted to get brown to hide dirt...but there were other colors options. I am having a hard time imagining granite.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #12
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to have a white sink.

From my experience granite will 'hide the dirt'. But I find there is a very narrow line between 'hide the dirt' and 'impossible to get clean'
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about my vote, I will say I hate my white sink. I have a big family and cook a lot. It is just one more thing to keep clean, and even after cleaning it doe as nth look nice anymore. I have even used bleach on and it still is meh. I use stainless a nd cast iron a lot. I like stainless but it isn't pretty. But it is functional. I don't know about granite.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (02-06-2016), twoplustwo (02-06-2016), ValiantJoy07 (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #14
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't like having a white sink. It always seemed gross, like I couldnt get it clean no matter what. Stainless to me is 'cleaner' after you clean it lol.
rjy9343 (02-06-2016), twoplustwo (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #15
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a white sink when I was growing up. Not only do they stain, the enamel chips and flakes. I will never have another one.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post: