Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
mrskellyray
Seedling Rose

mrskellyray is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone try "trim, healthy mama"?

I'm being looking into this diet a lot of people have had success with while nursing and pregnancies. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried it
mrskellyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone try "trim, healthy mama"?

and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

The wonkey theology put me off, straight away.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (10-21-2014), bliss (10-21-2014), MaybeGracie (10-21-2014), schmamy (10-21-2014), Soliloquy (02-18-2015)
Old 10-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

It's great diet but I wouldn't want to contribute to the authors financially . And also what Allison said .
BarefootBetsy (10-21-2014), MaybeGracie (10-21-2014), schmamy (10-21-2014), Soliloquy (02-18-2015)
Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonintx View Post
The wonkey theology put me off, straight away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
It's great diet but I wouldn't want to contribute to the authors financially . And also what Allison said .
^^^ What they said.

I do have friends who've had great success with it though.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Katigre (10-21-2014), schmamy (10-21-2014)
Old 02-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #6
sara1215
Rose Blossom

This is my story

sara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to behold

I know it's an old thread. I just bought this book on a friend's recommendation. Anyone care to share anything about the wonky theology? Or a link that points to more info?
The Following User Says Thank You to sara1215 For This Useful Post:
Elspeth (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

They were associated with Vision Forum, believe all contraception (including NFP) is a sin, Quiverful with a capital Q, believe in spanking with pipeline, among other things.

The Allisons adopted children from Liberia, some teens, some much younger. They never taught the older children to read, punished the younger ones for bonding with siblings more than their new mother, and started a movement of irresponsible adoption that resulted in some adopted children being abandoned or sent back.

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/20...liberia?page=2. (This is a mobile page, might not load on a computer)

http://www.patheos.com /blogs/nolongerquivering/2013/04/orphan-fever/

You can also search for "Serene Allison's missing children."

Some have said that they run their THM Facebook page the way they parent. Any disagreements are deleted, any people who don't lose weight have their comments deleted. I have no idea if that is true.

You can find book reviews from people who quit THM because they didn't lose weight and felt terrible, though.

Personally, from what I've read about the plan, it sounds obsessive and not sustainable. Like what this lady wrote:
http://www.stacymakescents.com/finding-my-way-with-food

Last edited by Soliloquy; 02-18-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
sara1215 (02-18-2015), schmamy (02-18-2015), squiddles (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #8
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on the Facebook page and I think it's run pretty fairly. They delete threads that are off-topic because it's already a huge group with more posts than can be reasonably followed - the group isn't helped by the addition of discussions on other diets, whether microwaves are healthy, people selling diet supplements. And they delete new threads about the safety of stevia. New threads come up pretty regularly saying, "I just read this article that says stevia causes infertility," and they delete them because you can only have the same long-running debate so many times. They tell people to do their own research on that.

I've seen plenty of people complaining that they aren't losing weight, or aren't losing weight fast enough, and moderators try to help them troubleshoot. A lot of people have thyroid issues that need attention, or have messed up their metabolism from over-dieting and need time, or are doing the diet wrong. I've never seen those threads removed in the five months I've been on the group.

More often, I see people succeeding on the diet. I started it because of a personal friend who had success on it - lost even those last few stubborn pounds, and kept it off over a year. I've tried vegan diets, raw diets, alkaline diets, food combining, paleo, and it never occurred to me to check the background of the authors whose books I purchased to see what kind of things my purchase was supporting. I know next to nothing about Serene and Pearl, little more than I know about Krista Varady, Robert Young, or James Wilson. I don't buy diet books based on the author's worldview or parenting practices, I buy them (or not) based on how effective I think the information will be.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
sara1215 (02-18-2015), Soliloquy (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

can anyone summarize the diet?
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
can anyone summarize the diet?
You can't mix fats and carbs. So you alternate between carb meals/snacks and fat meals/snacks and make sure they are separated by at least a few hours.

Of course, never mind that carbs+fats occur naturally together in nutritious whole foods like eggs, coconut, or peanuts. You should eat egg whites or defatted peanut flour.

They market it as intuitive and not a fad, but it seems awfully complicated and faddish to me.

But, I have at least one friend who had tremendous success with it and she thought it seemed sustainable
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It has two aspects - improved health by keeping insulin levels stable (which means no white starches or sugar of any kind, and even fruit is limited), and a weight loss aspect where you keep fats and carbs separate.

Whole eggs are fine in a meal with fat, but in low-fat meals, you would eat just the egg white and save the yolk for another meal. The one area I can see being problematic for a lot of people is that milk, even raw milk, has too many carbs to fit in a fat meal, and too much sugar/fat to fit in a carb meal. So they only recommend milk for growing children.

I read that weight lifters have been suggesting something similar for years, I think it's called carb cycling, and it works in the same way cross-training works, by not allowing the body to get too comfortable in a rut where it settles and weight loss plateaus and stalls. I don't think anything THM does is novel or new, but they've put it together in a way that seems doable for a lot of people. Not everyone, though. Some find that it makes them think about food too much and makes them obsessive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

hmmmm

do they maybe mean not eating animal products with grains? If so, I agree with that. They don't digest the same way.

But if that's it then it's not something new - I hate when people have these "new" ideas that they market and there are cheaper old books at the library
Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #13
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Quote:
hmmmm

do they maybe mean not eating animal products with grains? If so, I agree with that. They don't digest the same way.
Not all animal products would be fats - lean poultry, egg whites, fat free yogurt or cottage cheese are all low fat animal products that could be combined with grains.

Quote:

But if that's it then it's not something new - I hate when people have these "new" ideas that they market and there are cheaper old books at the library
The principles aren't new, but the book puts it all together in a way that's doable. Many of the best ideas aren't new. In the educational arena, Charlotte Mason said herself that none of her ideas were new. People had been using narration for a long time, nature study was being done by others, the foreign language she recommended was being described by Gouin. Anybody could read all her sources and come to the same conclusions. What she did was to sift through it all and compile the best of it into a cohesive plan. I think THM is similar; it compiles things from alkaline diets, food combining, carb cycling, low fat, low carb, insulin stability -- and packages it all together as a cohesive plan in a format that can be easily adapted to work for a lot of people. No one aspect of it is new.
The Following User Says they are praying for Leslie:
Mother of Sons (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #14
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Not all animal products would be fats - lean poultry, egg whites, fat free yogurt or cottage cheese are all low fat animal products that could be combined with grains.
Ahhh ok - then I wouldn't agree with it

They don't digest the same and end up causing digestive problems.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #15
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Although nobody asked for my assessment , here's what I think. I am fascinated by diet and nutrition, and I'm really excited by some of the information coming out regarding healthy fat, fasting, insulin resistence, and immunity. I think we're getting closer and closer to finding that missing link that will make all the conflicting information fall into place.

I've been following diets that seem to work, but then end up having issues in the long term. Raw/vegan diets seem to cannibalize the body after the first few months of detox and cleansing. Keto/low-carb diets can cause carb resistence to the extent that people gain weight from eaiting a piece of brocolli. Paleo has as many people complaning on its forums that it isn't working for them, as there are people doing great on it. GAPS can lose its effectiveness after the initial healing phase, and has its own issues with histamines. Nourishing Traditions/Weston Price are healthy but people seem to have trouble controlling weight with them. Intermittent fasting seems to work great for a lot of people and can turn on a gene that reverses aging, but it can wreck women's hormones and seems to cause insomnia even for people experiencing success with it, and people seem to fall off the wagon at predictable periods of time after doing well on it. Every diet seems to cause issues long term for a lot of people. Last night I was reading that healthy vegetables touted for their fiber can cause intestinal issues and irreversible SIBO (intestinal bacteria) for some people!

THM seems promising. It doesn't work for everybody, and won't appeal to everybody, but for those who have success with it, I haven't heard of long term side effects from it (yet) and those who succeed with it seem to be able to stay on it long term, though it hasn't been mainstream long enough to know for sure -- I think it's only been available for a couple of years.

For a person who wants to read more about it without purchasing the book, a book on insulin resistence, and a book on carb cycling would probably cover the basic premises.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-18-2015), bananacake (02-18-2015), Delaluz (02-18-2015), RiverRock (02-18-2015), sara1215 (02-18-2015), squiddles (02-18-2015)