Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute
Default So, what's the likelihood..

of my dog being pregnant? She went in heat two weeks ago. She's a doberman, about 60 pounds. She never runs away, even with the gate open, and our fence is really good about keeping most other dogs out, except chihuahuas.

We had 3 intact male chihuahuas keep breaking into the yard. (that tiny gap between the gate and fence...they have no problem getting through that, and one spot under the fence has a gap of about 4 inches, they'd get in there too. We blocked every new entrance they'd get in through, but they were pretty persistant little digging dogs.

The size difference is too great for that to actually happen right? She would have had to lay down to accomodate any of those males....and if she is pregnant, would it be wrong of me to dump the puppies off with the people who don't keep their own dogs contained? I was seriously annoyed at finding other peoples dogs in my enclosed yard, eating my dogs food and pooping in my grass, i have enough to clean up without their little visitors :/

I swear...if any of their attempts took...those are gonna be some hideous little dogs.
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, what's the likelihood..

Sorry,have to say that the likeliehood is pretty great if it was an especially fertile time they do lie down for the males.We had a German Shepard get preg by a dachshund when I was a kid in our neighborhood.But if you have been chasing them away and they didnt have a chance to dtd she may be ok

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Then there were the people in our town that had a female Rott. that had puppies with a dachshund and we adopted a pup one time that was female lab/male jack Russell mix.I think that if she is pregnant you will probably not want to dump your grandpups on those neighbors when the time comes tho ITU your feelings about them being allowed to run loose and dig in.Are they in adjoining yards or are they just running loose.I think you will prob. want to make sure they get good homes.We have a neighbor dog that is a Min pin/chih mix but a full size pin & chih sort of boggles the imagination.......

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

my fence doesn't adjoin any other fences :/ I know one dog came from the house two doors down, the other two dogs I hadn't ever seen before, I don't know where their normal roaming territory is. *sigh* I don't want to deal with puppies, I wanted to wait till she was 2 to get her spayed, somewhere i read that was the most healthy option, but now I can't find that referenced anywhere. ugh...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

It could happen. A Chihuahua-Dobie cross would make for some interesting puppies
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

So um...is there something I should be doing with her in case she is pregnant? Any advice there? I should go google this stuff.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Heh. Min-Pins.

SIL has dogs that are half lab, half bassett. One of the vets here once had a woman frantically haul in her apparently Very Nice show Rott; Miss Rottie had found a chi boyfriend.

You can still have her spayed if you wish. Personallly, I probably would.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

The puppies could be very cute actually.

I would be very angry though.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, I haven't seen any information pointing to it being better to wait until they are 2yo to get spayed. The infomation I have found points to it being better to spay them before their first heat cycle, that doing so reduces their chance of mamary cancer down to almost zero.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

It was in reference to bigger dogs and hip dysplasia and bone cancers. It was supposed to be better for them to be spayed after 18 months, and the vet's personal recommendation was at age 2. He also said early spaying made the dogs grow more leggy and tall. I remember the info, but I can't find it anymore =D
Old 10-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Our neighbors had a dachshund that tried his very best, repeatedly, to mate with our dog, a mutt slightly smaller than a lab. Never managed it. He humped air with great vigor. Some fence jumping neighbor dog stud managed it, though. We had puppies!
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
mommy9994
Rose Bush

mommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of light

yup, he could certainly have gotten it done. When a female is in heat, the male can and will do anything to get to her. I've even heard of dogs getting pregnant through a chain link fence (don't know the truth behind it, just heard about it)

striving to be a gentler mommy to
Alekzandr
Charles
Aliana
Rebekah
Lydia
trusting the Lord for any future children.
Feel free to pm me about food allergies, eczema, complementarian marriage, homeschooling, breastfeeding, large family...
mommy9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

Well, it didn't take! The time has passed if she was gonna produce any puppies, and her nipples are prominent, but her belly is not. So I think we're in the clear!