Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 01-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of
Default PD Tools Week 1

Connection Before Correction

http://blog.positivediscipline.com/2...orrection.html

I Have to say that the idea seems kinda counter-intuitive to me at first. The moments when I need to correct my children I tend to feel more frustrated and adversarial than connected. Week one and I'm already challenged.

I liked the little clip from the lecture at the bottom. Especially what stood out to me was "Are you looking for blame or a solution" I think a lot of the time when I'm upset with my kids I'm trying to blame them for whatever is going on and I want them to feel bad and do better I never realized that before.

If you don't have the app like me you are on a pc you can print out the little reminder cards by clicking on the picture of it on the right. I'm planning to post them on my bathroom mirror so I can review every mirnibg whilst getting ready for the day.
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added

Last edited by marigold; 01-04-2015 at 09:45 PM.
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to marigold For This Useful Post:
charla (01-05-2015), Hopetobe (01-05-2015), MamaRachel (01-05-2015), ShepherdsWife (02-27-2015), squiddles (01-04-2015), sweetpeasmommy (01-09-2015), Tasmanian Saint (01-05-2015), ValiantJoy07 (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PD Tools Week 1

There was an interesting interview on the radio this morning. I only heard bits while driving between clients, but here's what I got from it: this man is a child psychotherapist or something and an expert in real problem kids. The ones they were specifically talking about were the sociopaths-in-the-making. These kids show no guilt or remorse when they do wrong and don't show empathy... So I gather he did some research or observation or something (missed the bit in the middle) and found they didn't have the sort of close relationship with their parents that was needed for true discipline, teaching, to happen. "they don't hear the lesson without the relationship." What was interesting was that this was coming from someone who mostly did standard behaviorist style interventions. Time outs and praise. But he added in eye gazing: getting the parents to take short snippets of time throughout the day to stare into their child's eyes, and this was enough to create loving relationships

That's my long winded way of saying that I'm adding eye gazing to my mental list of connection activities

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Oh, and marigold, I wasn't able to watch the clip from my tablet, but it sounds like it may have answered a question I've had for a long time. I came across the phrase "in our house we don't blame" in How To Talk So Kids Listen... And that week i read in Ephesians that God makes us blameless and i thought , God doesn't blame in his house, either! And that has been one of my goals ever since - to learn not to blame - but I haven't been able to figure out what to replace it with... what DO we do? ... "in this house we don't blame, we seek a solution together" :thumb

Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (01-05-2015), charla (01-05-2015), Hopetobe (01-05-2015), Kiara.I (01-05-2015), marigold (01-07-2015), squiddles (01-08-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz

rcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to all

I find that usually I need to take a time out before I can connect when something big happens. I have been sending DS1 to his bed- not as a punishment but more as a lets cool down and then we can talk type thing. I wonder though if I am missing my window of opportunity? I mean maybe I should be connecting before? I don't know. I have a hot temper and that is really hard for me to do.
rcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcsmom For This Useful Post:
squiddles (01-08-2015), Tasmanian Saint (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
bentlaj11
Rose Trellis

bentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond repute

I've struggled w/ blaming and wanting my kids to feel remorse (and they probably aren't even there developmentally ). It's so hard to break out of the "you need to pay for whatever you've done" mentality I've been trying to work on "it doesn't matter who did what, let's see what we can do to fix it".

TS, that part about eye gazing is awesome. It's been awhile since I've read "How to Talk..". I took notes. I need to find them & re-read them!!

InFpType 2/3(?)

Last edited by bentlaj11; 01-05-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: grammar
bentlaj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bentlaj11 For This Useful Post:
Elspeth (01-08-2015), MamaRachel (01-05-2015), squiddles (01-08-2015), Tasmanian Saint (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #5
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsmom View Post
I find that usually I need to take a time out before I can connect when something big happens. I have been sending DS1 to his bed- not as a punishment but more as a lets cool down and then we can talk type thing. I wonder though if I am missing my window of opportunity? I mean maybe I should be connecting before? I don't know. I have a hot temper and that is really hard for me to do.
I do this too (use room for cool-off before addressing the problem). I may try an experiment to see what happens if I get him (it's usually DS that I'm dealing with) to come sit with me instead. The problem is if he's hurt his sister than I have her to deal with in that moment too...

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlaj11 View Post
I've been trying to work on "it doesn't matter who did what, let's see what we can do to fix it".
I like this. Lately I've found myself listening to "sides" and trying to sort out issues between siblings that way. While it may be important to let them both share, I think a perspective change from "who did what" to "what can we all do to fix the problem" would be great.

I can tell I'm going to need to take notes. Why is this stuff SO easy to forget?

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Is anybody else having trouble listening to the sample clip?
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I forget, too. I hate that. In the heat of the moment, all my tools seem to fly out the window. I hope by dwelling on and practicing a new one each week, I will be able to assimilate them better into my tool box.

Accidents make me upset - spilled anything, broken anything - and it is sooooo easy to blame and create disconnection, but I've found that if I take a deep breath, reach out and hug and say, "accidents happen to all of us, I can help you clean it up if you like", I feel like I've chosen connection instead of disconnection. After all, none of us are immune from accidents no matter our age.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (01-05-2015), Tasmanian Saint (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #7
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to follow along. Will look at the link later.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

You guys, I read the most HORRIBLE article on the "biblical" way to do spanking on the FOTF website. Somebody had posted the link on FB. I knew it was bad, but seeing it all written out there with an accompanying picture of a mom about to spank her child... Ugh, ugh, ugh. I am feeling SO thankful right now that we do have other tools to use and I'm excited to practice them all with you this year.
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (01-05-2015), charla (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #10
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Off to write on a sticky note "We do not blame. We look for solutions together."

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
Kiara.I (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I need to watch the video it sounds great. I need to do this.

I don't have useful things. But please keep talking. I need to steep in this.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
MamaRachel
Rose Bouquet

MamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to behold

married to J since 2010

E ~ 8.5 yr
A ~ 7 yr
C ~ 4 yr
B ~ 7months
MamaRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #13
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsmom View Post
I send my kids to their rooms as well. It is meant to be a break so I can control my temper but it ends up feeling punitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I need to watch the video it sounds great. I need to do this.

I don't have useful things. But please keep talking. I need to steep in this.
It is just a little audio clip.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian Saint View Post
There was an interesting interview on the radio this morning. I only heard bits while driving between clients, but here's what I got from it: this man is a child psychotherapist or something and an expert in real problem kids. The ones they were specifically talking about were the sociopaths-in-the-making. These kids show no guilt or remorse when they do wrong and don't show empathy... So I gather he did some research or observation or something (missed the bit in the middle) and found they didn't have the sort of close relationship with their parents that was needed for true discipline, teaching, to happen. "they don't hear the lesson without the relationship." What was interesting was that this was coming from someone who mostly did standard behaviorist style interventions. Time outs and praise. But he added in eye gazing: getting the parents to take short snippets of time throughout the day to stare into their child's eyes, and this was enough to create loving relationships

That's my long winded way of saying that I'm adding eye gazing to my mental list of connection activities

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Oh, and marigold, I wasn't able to watch the clip from my tablet, but it sounds like it may have answered a question I've had for a long time. I came across the phrase "in our house we don't blame" in How To Talk So Kids Listen... And that week i read in Ephesians that God makes us blameless and i thought , God doesn't blame in his house, either! And that has been one of my goals ever since - to learn not to blame - but I haven't been able to figure out what to replace it with... what DO we do? ... "in this house we don't blame, we seek a solution together" :thumb

in this house we do not blame, we seek a solution together

also like the looking in their eyes idea
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marigold For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #14
silverlining
Deactivated

silverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant future

I find my own desire to blame is a signal that I need a time out before dealing with whatever the situation is. Interestingly, those times when I'm really upset, I have occasionally found myself calling DD by my younger sister's name--it's like I'm 10 years old again yelling that it's all her fault. Clearly, I'm not operating in my calm adult mind, nor am I feeling connected to the child in front of me.

Regarding the eye-gazing, I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that this helps to develop mirror neurons, which are important for empathy, but I can't find it now.
silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to silverlining For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (01-08-2015), Elspeth (01-08-2015), marigold (01-08-2015), ShepherdsWife (02-27-2015), Tasmanian Saint (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #15
bentlaj11
Rose Trellis

bentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
I find my own desire to blame is a signal that I need a time out before dealing with whatever the situation is. Interestingly, those times when I'm really upset, I have occasionally found myself calling DD by my younger sister's name--it's like I'm 10 years old again yelling that it's all her fault. Clearly, I'm not operating in my calm adult mind, nor am I feeling connected to the child in front of me.

Regarding the eye-gazing, I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that this helps to develop mirror neurons, which are important for empathy, but I can't find it now.
I called dh by my brother's name in an argument once... that was a weird feeling.

InFpType 2/3(?)
bentlaj11 is offline   Reply With Quote