Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #16
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prediabeties

My dh was diagnosed pre diabetic about a year and a half ago. His doctor recommended going Keto or super low-carb. We cut out all bread, pasta, rice, sugar, etc. The first month was really hard but after that most of the cravings were gone and more importantly his numbers were all back to normal at his follow up 3 months later. We've been eating this way ever since then and his numbers have all just gotten better and better. We also both lost quite a bit of weight.

In the beginning we were super strict about it and didn't eat anything with carbs except certain fruits and vegis. We have loosened up a little but we still only eat things with a limited amount of carbs so nothing that is primarily carbs.

I also agree with avoiding substitute sweets as much as possible. We do use them in coffee and every once in a while in a homemade desert but mostly we just skip sweets and believe it or not real sweets actually make me feel ill now.

For fast and easy we like lettuce wraps. We put chicken salad, tuna salad, ham etc. In a lettuce leaf with cheese, tomatoes, mayo and eat it like a sandwich. We also eat hamburgers the same way. We eat a lot of carrot sticks and frozen vegetables for quick and easy as well. We snack on nuts and berries. We also love roasting veggies in the oven. Roasted butternut squash tastes like sweet potato fries.

Grocery shopping is also super easy now because all I have to do is make sure I pick up some meat and veggies and I'm good to go.

I will say I think this worked mainly because cutting out carbs cuts out pretty much all junk food and you probably don't have to go as strict as we did but it just made it easier for us to say we don't eat carbs period. And full disclosure I never gave up sweet tea, but that is my one splurge and I drink it super slow so it's mostly melted ice by the end.

Oh and on that note one last thing. If you have craving for something that just won't go away. Determine what is the smallest amount you can eat and then just eat that. For example, in the beginning I really wanted toast so I found the lowest carb bread and had half a slice with 1/4 tsp of jam. Or I wanted chocolate so I measured out 1tsp of mini chocolate chips and I would sit down and eat them one by one. It totaled to only about 3 carbs but when I finished eating them I was good and the craving was gone. I hardly have to do this at all anymore because I don't have cravings but it really helped me stay on track in the beginning.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
HomeWithMyBabies (09-20-2019), Littledisciples (09-18-2019), SewingGreenMama (09-18-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #17
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prediabeties (moved for admin review regarding harsh tone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
Trim Healthy Mama is an offshoot of Above Rubies, so many here may not wish to support them.
Mothers are not their daughters. Pearl is lovely. People with diabetes are more likely to DIE. If the OP wants to try THM to help with diabetes, she can. She doesn't need you to be her Holy Spirit.

Their method mentions nothing about their parenting except "feed your children what they need to grow and thrive."
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Littledisciples (09-22-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #18
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

The money still goes to their "ministry". I was just pointing out many of us don't want to support that. I'm concerned about promotion of anything related to Above Rubies because I have first-hand experience of the abuse that goes on through Nancy. If it was Debi Pearl's dd with a great weight loss method I would say the same thing. There's too many good resources out there without the yuck in the background.
CelticJourney (09-20-2019), Hermana Linda (09-19-2019), Llee (09-22-2019), mummy2boys (09-21-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #19
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Putting Admin Hat On

A post has been removed from this thread for admin review

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
The money still goes to their "ministry". I was just pointing out many of us don't want to support that. I'm concerned about promotion of anything related to Above Rubies because I have first-hand experience of the abuse that goes on through Nancy. If it was Debi Pearl's dd with a great weight loss method I would say the same thing. There's too many good resources out there without the yuck in the background.
We appreciate the warning. The Pearl daughters have some crunchy looking businesses and if anyone promoted one of them, I'd expect someone to post the warning. This Above Rubies situation is exactly the same. Your warning was entirely appropriate. If anyone wants to use those programs, that is their business. They might even be allowed to promote some of the daughter groups here, but certainly not without a disclaimer. GCM will call out these groups and their false teachings every time.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

My pages:
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
bliss (09-20-2019), CelticJourney (09-20-2019), graciousmomma (09-20-2019), hollybells (09-20-2019), Littledisciples (09-22-2019), Llee (09-22-2019), mummy2boys (09-21-2019), SewingGreenMama (09-21-2019), Tasmanian Saint (09-26-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #21
rosesnsnails
Rose Garden

rosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond repute

I haven’t read the whole thread, but I wanted to share a resource that helped me reverse my diabetes. I no longer have highs or lows. I have great blood pressure. My triglycerides and a1c are those of a non-diabetic. I don’t know what the rules are here about links to Facebook groups so I’ll break it just in case. https://www. facebook.com/groups/reversingdiabetes/. I will be eating this way for the rest of my life more than likely.

Also, for me, Plexus did nothing but raise my blood sugar.

One more thing: some people do better with the extended release metphormin or the compounded metphormin. I use the compounded.
Mom to J since 2000
Angel Baby Joshua Aaron 2003
Momma to J since 2009 (born 11 weeks early)

Using my favorite smilely as often as I can,

Relying on God has to begin all over again every day as if nothing had yet been done-C.S. Lewis-from a letter To Mrs. L.

Last edited by rosesnsnails; 09-20-2019 at 05:14 PM.
rosesnsnails is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rosesnsnails For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (09-20-2019), Littledisciples (09-22-2019), Llee (09-22-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #22
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
Putting Admin Hat On

A post has been removed from this thread for admin review
It has been decided that I should return this post to the board and reply to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Mothers are not their daughters. Pearl is lovely. People with diabetes are more likely to DIE. If the OP wants to try THM to help with diabetes, she can. She doesn't need you to be her Holy Spirit.

Their method mentions nothing about their parenting except "feed your children what they need to grow and thrive."
Unless Pearl has renounced her mother's "ministry," she is part of their dynasty and it is entirely appropriate for someone to mention that. Members are always welcome to share information that other members may want to know. Accusing someone of trying to be the Holy Spirit is inappropriate.

My pages:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Littledisciples (09-22-2019), Llee (09-22-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #23
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

With THM, it is also possible to follow without giving money to the authors. Many libraries carry their books and Hoopla currently has the plan book on audio. There are endless recipes on Pinterest etc, files in the FB groups and a quick start guide online. You can find plan appropriate products from other brands on Amazon or healthfood stores if you want any special ingredients. I found a stevia powder that mimics theirs. (I tasted both side by side) It's extremely concentrated, so it lasts longer in my experience.
Hermana Linda (09-20-2019), Littledisciples (09-22-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #24
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
With THM, it is also possible to follow without giving money to the authors. Many libraries carry their books and Hoopla currently has the plan book on audio. There are endless recipes on Pinterest etc, files in the FB groups and a quick start guide online. You can find plan appropriate products from other brands on Amazon or healthfood stores if you want any special ingredients. I found a stevia powder that mimics theirs. (I tasted both side by side) It's extremely concentrated, so it lasts longer in my experience.
Very good point, thank you for sharing. Either way, it's important for each person to make an informed decision.

My pages:
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Littledisciples (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #25
Littledisciples
Rose Garden

My sweet girls who have given me strength to endure

Littledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond repute

I won’t support anything to do with the Pearls or not on purpose thanks for the warnings. I agree informed decisions are best.

Anyway about the other info thanks so much this is really helping me get healthier. I was wanting a candy bar during check out the other day at the store and I bought a peach instead went home and ate it. Craving gone. I figure healthy sugar is still better than sugar in candies.

Mom of Kayla 2000, Katie 2001 and Kira 2004
Step Mom of B girl 1995, S girl 1998, J boy 2001, J girl 2002, M girl 2002, K girl 2003, S girl 2004

Grandma to J Dec 2014, J May 2017, G November 2018

Sometimes our life is crazy but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Resting with Jesus Seth, Mercy, Love, Serenity, Hope, Whisper and Clare bear
Littledisciples is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Littledisciples For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #26
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littledisciples View Post
I won’t support anything to do with the Pearls or not on purpose thanks for the warnings. I agree informed decisions are best.

Anyway about the other info thanks so much this is really helping me get healthier. I was wanting a candy bar during check out the other day at the store and I bought a peach instead went home and ate it. Craving gone. I figure healthy sugar is still better than sugar in candies.
I'm SO glad to hear that!

It occurs to me to mention that I'm finding SparkPeople.com very helpful. I'll send you an invitation so that if you join, we can connect.

My pages:

Last edited by Hermana Linda; 09-22-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #27
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Having a peach instead of a candy bar is fantastic!!! . You're getting fiber, vitamins, and minerals in a peach!

I have several friends who have T2. Some of them do better on a low carb diet. Some do not. They have to maintain moderate carbs, around 40%, or their numbers actually get worse. It's interesting. We're all different.

If you have hip or other joint pain, I like to recommend T-Tapp MORE Rehab. It's an extremely effective version of T-Tapp that has been modified for those who are recovering from injuries, have pain, are older, and/or have more weight to lose. There are multiple workouts on the dvd and they are all 20 minutes or less. T-Tapp in general is crazy effective for blood sugar management. I have one friend who was doing Beach Body 6 days a week for years and her T2 kept getting worse. Then she switched to T-TAPP and was off insulin in 3 months. Again, everyone is different, but wanted to mention it.

https://store.t-tapp.com/collections...17430353641541

They usually have a big sale during Cyber Week. I know $50 is a lot of money. Believe me, it's worth every penny.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Littledisciples (09-26-2019), rdsmommy (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #28
Littledisciples
Rose Garden

My sweet girls who have given me strength to endure

Littledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Having a peach instead of a candy bar is fantastic!!! . You're getting fiber, vitamins, and minerals in a peach!

I have several friends who have T2. Some of them do better on a low carb diet. Some do not. They have to maintain moderate carbs, around 40%, or their numbers actually get worse. It's interesting. We're all different.

If you have hip or other joint pain, I like to recommend T-Tapp MORE Rehab. It's an extremely effective version of T-Tapp that has been modified for those who are recovering from injuries, have pain, are older, and/or have more weight to lose. There are multiple workouts on the dvd and they are all 20 minutes or less. T-Tapp in general is crazy effective for blood sugar management. I have one friend who was doing Beach Body 6 days a week for years and her T2 kept getting worse. Then she switched to T-TAPP and was off insulin in 3 months. Again, everyone is different, but wanted to mention it.

https://store.t-tapp.com/collections...17430353641541

They usually have a big sale during Cyber Week. I know $50 is a lot of money. Believe me, it's worth every penny.
Thank You the encouragement is so helpful. I never heard of T-Tapp but I will look into it. Thank You

Mom of Kayla 2000, Katie 2001 and Kira 2004
Step Mom of B girl 1995, S girl 1998, J boy 2001, J girl 2002, M girl 2002, K girl 2003, S girl 2004

Grandma to J Dec 2014, J May 2017, G November 2018

Sometimes our life is crazy but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Resting with Jesus Seth, Mercy, Love, Serenity, Hope, Whisper and Clare bear
Littledisciples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #29
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littledisciples View Post

Her name is Pearl. She's not of "The Pearls". She's not related to Mike and Debbie Pearl.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (09-26-2019), Littledisciples (09-30-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #30
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Her name is Pearl. She's not of "The Pearls". She's not related to Mike and Debbie Pearl.
True, but I'm sure she promotes their teachings. Her mother does, and she never disavowed her.

My pages:
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Littledisciples (09-30-2019)