Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "10 things" support thread

I'm willing to jump on this bandwagon. I'm already doing some of the stuff and my kids will be going to school part time in the fall, so I really need some better habits for the rest.

1. Wake up early: Really need to start doing this. Alarm is set for 7am, but I usually ignore it unless there's somewhere I have to be at by a certain time.

2. Go to bed early: The reason I don't get up early. I get so much done and feel so awake at night. I hate to give that up.

3. Evening Preparations: I need to figure out what this will involve at my house.

4. Meal planning: Do this already. We make a 2 weeks plan. Also, Dh has an alarm on his phone for 7pm so we can check what needs done for the next day's dinner. It's also the signal for the kids to get ready for bed.

5. 1 load of laundry per day~ Start to finish: That's the goal. Some days are more, some days I'm not home all day.

6. Dishes done each evening: Dh is my savior for this. Once he understood how much it threw off my day to wake up to dirty dishes he started making sure they're done before he goes to bed every night. I load the dishwasher and dd puts away dry dishes in the morning.

7. 5 minute bathroom cleaning: I have the kids do this.

8. Have a place for everything: still working on this

9. Have a bedtime routine of cleaning up: kids have End Of Day Pickup every night before dinner. That takes care of 90% of the mess.

10. Don't say "yes" immediately to new requests: not an issue here

Wife to the car guy for 21 years
Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
tazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

1. Wake up early: Uhm. Well let's call this the nine things support thread. I'm not getting up early.

2. Go to bed early: Check-ish. I aim to be in bed no later than 11:00, but I was out getting groceries til almost ten, so I neeeeded a little down time.

3. Evening Preparations: My evening prep things are to make sure the dishes & laundry are started and that my meds are set out for the am.

4. Meal planning: I have a super cute meal planning chart, it's pretty so I can leave it out in the open and see it all the time.

5. 1 load of laundry per day~ Start to finish: I actually do this a little differently. I start the laundry before bed (11 ish), DH moves it to the dryer first thing in the am (6 ish), then I put it away during the day. I love doing it this way because the washer is empty to throw dirty clothes straight into.

6. Dishes done each evening: Load & run at night, M empties in the am so I can put dishes in immediately.

7. 5 minute bathroom cleaning: This is my oldest jurisdiction. It's her first morning chore. I step in once a week or so to do mirrors, floors and the shower.

8. Have a place for everything: I'm there, more or less. I'm always tweaking it a bit.

9. Have a bedtime routine of cleaning up: And locking up. We try to do most of it before we sit down for the night. M starts the dishes, I start the laundry. The kitchen is already clean from doing out dinner chores. Lock up, charge phones, shut down computer.

10. Don't say "yes" immediately to new requests: Not so fab at this one. Doing better. Still room to improve.
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
NeshamaMama
Rose Garden

Formerly emilik :)

NeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond repute

1. Wake up early

I usually get up around 8 am, when dd gets up and forces me out of bed. DH leaves for work around 8:30 lately so this might give me time to take a shower alone (which really sets my day off great!), or if we get up after he's left dd and I take a bath together, which isn't bad depending on dd's mood... It's completely impossible for me to get up before her because she always wakes up as soon as I get out of bed, or on the rare occasion she's slept 10 minutes longer than me, she's SUPER cranky if she wakes up and I'm not right there.

2. Go to bed early
Need to work on this. A few days a week I can't go to bed until midnight because of the hours I have my care child, but that ends May 3rd and I've already declared that our new bedtime will be no later than 10:30! I should work on going to bed earlier on the days I don't have to stay up though.

3. Evening Preparations SUCH a huge help when I do it (a few times a week ). For us that means:
-Lay out my clothes for the next day
-Pack up anything needed for any outing the next day (church bags, MOPS stuff, etc.)
- TAKE MEAT OUT OF FREEZER FOR DINNER THE NEXT DAY. I am SO bad at this, and typically 5 pm rolls around and I go, "Darn it, I have this meal planned but what in the heck am I going to do with this solid ice block of chicken??"
- Make a quick list of anything I need to remember/needs to happen the next day. I end up feeling lost and panicking and doing it halfway through the morning if I don't do this the night before.

4. Meal planning
This is the one thing I have under control, every week without fail. I still don't know how people *don't* do this - we'd never eat if I didn't!

5. 1 load of laundry per day~ Start to finish

Currently a huge fail.

6. Dishes done each evening
DH is a wonderful, wonderful man and does the dishes for me every morning before he goes to work. He typically doesn't wash pots and pans though, so I should start doing those after dinner so my stove/sink can be completely clear when I get up.

7. 5 minute bathroom cleaning
I don't typically do 5 minutes every single day, but I also don't mind cleaning my bathrooms at all so it's not a hassle to do it probably 3 times a week. Not something I typically procrastinate on.

8. Have a place for everything

My kitchen tables tends to pile up, even though it's a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I need to get our filing cabinet set up so I have a place for paperwork and things, and work on setting up some more little baskets and things to corral stuff in a more appropriate place.

9. Have a bedtime routine of cleaning up
Starting tonight I'm instituting a pre-dinner cleanup of getting toys off the living room and kitchen floors. There needs to be more involved in this but I'm starting small.

10. Don't say "yes" immediately to new requests

I *think* I do okay with this. Most of the time.

Christopher
(INTP)

Mama to
Mayah Evangeline (01/10
)
and
Miriam Anneliese (05/12)
Living simply and loving my God!

NeshamaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

1. Wake up early - I am BAD at this. I love my warm bed and I love sleeping.

2. Go to bed early - I am BAD BAD BAD at this. Night is my favorite. I've always been a night owl. I think my goal will be to be in bed by 11, then at least I'm there. I can nurse, watch TV, and be on the computer. We are terrible about sitting up watching TV downstairs until 1 am and later some nights. My husband functions just fine on short sleep hours, but I always feel bed when he has to get up at 7 the next day.

3. Evening Preparations - This doesn't mean much for me, except on weekends, and I'm pretty good about it.

4. Meal planning - I do pretty well with this. Every 2 weeks, I make a list of 10 meals that we like and get all the groceries to make them all. Then I just wing it, depending on what we do/what we are hungry for. It's nice to have flexibility. We ALWAYS stock chicken, rice, and frozen veggies so we have no excuses.

5. 1 load of laundry per day~ Start to finish - Did this today!! I always get laundry sorted/washed/dried then it sits in baskets until I have to spend a whole afternoon or evening folding it all. This is going to be the first habit that I pursue.

6. Dishes done each evening - I'm working on this and I do pretty well. I'm trying to re-teach my husband how to help with this. When we first got married, he always wanted to do the dishes after each meal, but I wanted to snuggle instead. I was a fool!!

7. 5 minute bathroom cleaning - This is a good one. I usually just clean it as it needs it, but I might try this idea instead.

8. Have a place for everything - Pretty good at this. We've been remodling our house for the past few years, room by room. I have gone through EVERY thing that we own one by one and purged a ton of stuff! Feels SO good! I do need to go through my closet and slim it down a bit.

9. Have a bedtime routine of cleaning up - We do this every once and awhile. O only has free access to certain toys during the day, so typically everything gets picked up before the next thing comes out.

10. Don't say "yes" immediately to new requests - Pretty good about this.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
wallflowermama
Rose Bouquet

wallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to all

1. Wake up early
This is every morning for me because I have to.
2. Go to bed early
I did go to bed early, but then I feel like I wasted hours that I could've been doing something...
3. Evening Preparations
Did "some" prep but not nearly enough...got beef broth done last night for today
4. Meal planning
My nemesis! I need help big time with this one.

Dishes are never ending so we are constantly doing them anyway.
DH did this today. Hurray!
Definitely not...need to go through and organize a pile of papers tonight
Yes we do this every night because otherwise DH and I cannot function
Not an issue today...

INxJ Type 4/2 Wife to DH since 2003
Homeschooling Mama to Munchkin #1 (M) - Sept/05, and Munchkin #2 (A) - Nov/10

Last edited by wallflowermama; 04-12-2012 at 03:49 PM.
wallflowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

1. I SO need to work on getting up early. Reason why: At 7:30am this morning, my 2yo snuck into the kitchen and I assume by his limited vocab that he was trying to make a pot of coffee (which he now knows NOT to do, ) and he spilled the coffee grounds on the kitchen floor and on the chair he pushed against the counter. I uh, was desperate for coffee, so I saved the grounds on the chair.

2. Go to bed early...yeah, I'm a night owl, and DH & I like to game after the boys finally fall asleep, so I'm not sure how that'll work out.

3. Evening Preparations...so far this consists of...well, nothing. I suppose I could start setting the coffee pot, that way I'd have a set time to get up in the morning.

4. Meal planning - I actually used to be really good at this until my DH lost his job. Then it just ended up being whatever we had in the pantry. Slowly getting back into meal planning now though.

5. 1 load of laundry per day~ Start to finish. I did this, except the folding part.

6. Dishes done each evening. Something that I need to work on. The dishes are finally at a manageable point today thanks to DH.

7. 5 minute bathroom cleaning. I'd do this tonight, but tomorrow we're having family over and I'm almost out of paper towels, so I'll clean the bathrooms tomorrow.

8. Have a place for everything. I have enough space in the hosue to put things, but no real organization, like file cabinets, cork boards, baskets, etc.

9. Have a bedtime routine of cleaning up. Working on it, I do try to pick up the toys after the boys go to bed.

10. Don't say "yes" immediately to new requests. Haven't dealt with this one yet. In fact, agreeing to have people over kind of acts as a swift kick in the pants. I freak out and clean like a madwoman.

Breathe in peace, breathe out love. And drink coffee. Lots of coffee.
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
WingsOfTheMorning
Deactivated

WingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing
WingsOfTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #23
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing I am bad at almost everything on this list
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #24
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

We are waking up early 3 days a week to run so there's that...

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #25
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

Cleaned the house yesterday with DH's help. Maintaining it is now is my goal. Need to stay on top of dishes, laundry, & clutter.

Been waking up around 7 since starting this 10 things thread, and yesterday my boys slept till almost 8am so I actually had quiet time and drank my coffee in peace! It made the whole day go smoother, or at least it seemed that way.

Breathe in peace, breathe out love. And drink coffee. Lots of coffee.
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #26
Domina
Rose Garden

Domina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond repute

Beaming mama to Sumo since 2010.
Addicted to , curry and my Kindle.

Martyrs make lousy lovers and party guests. ~ Michael Flocker
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

1. Wake up early

I was doing well with this, then we all got colds, Lina wasn't sleeping worth beans, so we all were sleeping in to try to catch up on sleep, now I need to get back on track.

2. Go to bed early

I just canNOT figure out a way to make this work, dh is a night owl, the only time that works well for us to have couple time is late at night, if I go to bed early I'll never see him.

3. Evening Preparations

I need to work on this, big time!!!

4. Meal planning

I'm good at PLANNING the meals, need to actually USE the plan once I make it.

I'm good about this, hanging clothes on the line forces me to keep on top of it.

I'm getting better at this.

This is a good idea, need to work on this.

oh, you were serious? Great theory . . . I might achieve this before I die . . . maybe . . . if I live a REALLY long time . . . like till I'm 150!!

Need to work on this

Hmmm . . . this isn't really a big issue for us. . .

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-15-2012), The Tickle Momster (05-08-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
JenLovie
Deactivated

You win when you choose health. MWWR

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute

1. Wake up early
DS1 is up early, thus I get up early. I don't get up before him unless we have an early appointment. When the boys start sleeping later I'll consider changing my practices.

2. Go to bed early
I'm super good at this when DH is home. My mom is here now and I get in bed early and then play on my Kindle or read.

3. Evening Preparations
I do a lot of this. If we have appointments the next day I get our clothes ready and get food ready for DS1. I will get stuff in the van if needed. I also shower at night during the week so I have very little to do to get ready in the morning.

4. Meal planning
We do this before we grocery shop

This usually happens, but it's not intentional. If I skip a day I do 2 the next. It's not a huge issue.

We do this about 95% of the time.

DH used to do this in our bathroom. I should start doing this in our bathroom and the downstairs bathroom. The extra bathroom upstairs stays reletively clean and I check it before we have company.

We're working on getting there. We have a place for everything but it doesn't always end up in it's place.

I need to work on this.

I have no issues with this. I'm super good at keeping our schedule open and relaxed.
JenLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
Barefoot Bookworm
Rose Garden

Barefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try this. I used to do it and then got out of the habit. Well, not the waking up early or going to be early business.
Lamb (12),
Miss Mousie (11),
Billy Goat (9),
Wren and Hedgehog (5)!
Barefoot Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #30
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

. Wake up early
Still happening
2. Go to bed early
Not happening. Pip lwas up until 1 am she had me up until 3 on saturdya morning.
3. Evening Preparations
I have been making this a priority
4. Meal planning
N/A
I am finally caught il and have organized stuff to make this easier
:virtuoussmiley

We've been being more intentional about this the past few days. Morning crankiness is lower for everyone if it is tidy when we get up.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote