Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Entrees / Main Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
DragonfliiMama
Rose Garden

DragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default convenience cooking

Convenience food is a HUGE issue for us, especially me. I'm not good at eating healthy, I don't enjoy cooking, and it all feels like just too much work, so I do an awful lot of fast food and even at home a lot of snacky junk foods, meals from a box, etc. Dh likes to cook, is good at it, and is much better at cooking healthy, but still doesn't have a lot of time to do it by the time he gets home from work. Plus we are meat-eaters living in a vegetarian household, so that makes it all the more tempting to eat out.

I need recipes that are:
quick
easy
inexpensive
healthy
heavy on veggies
filling
preferably NOT heavy on beans as a source of protein (we can use frozen chicken/fish patties, eggs, and meat substitutes)

some of our favorites are -
spaghetti
pizza (usually frozen or take out )
homemade mac n cheese bake (but this is more time intensive)
bean casserole with rice, cheese, cream of celery soup, chow mein noodles
cheese"burger" pie
sloppy joes / bbq roast (but i can't do the roast in the crockpot anymore )

I need variety, that's not even a whole week's worth of meals right there and I'm getting tired of doing the same thing all the time. I also need some ideas for side dishes that aren't all starch to round out the meal.

~Amii~
INFJ, Type 2/1

wife to Jimi, mama to Gabriel , 06/09

shimmer = soft, subtle sparkle
DragonfliiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: convenience cooking

I like fried rice - and it's easy to make a vegetarian version and then add your meat to it.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarynMunchkins For This Useful Post:
DragonfliiMama (10-05-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing.. I would like ideas too.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hey mommy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

I haven' made these in forever (avoiding canned soups), but I remember them being sooo tasty and super easy!

1 can condensed cream of celery soup
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar (or up to 1 cup, to taste)
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard (I use whole-grain, do NOT use regular yellow mustard)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cooked broccoli
4 hot baked potatoes, split

Combine soup, cheese, mustard and pepper in a saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring often, until heated through and cheese is melted. Stir in the broccoli and heat through if necessary. Spoon over the potatoes. Serve with a salad and your choice of protein (I'd grill a chicken breast or steak).

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Fish is sooo easy and fast to make. Broil or pan fry with salt and pepper and a splash of lemon. Serve with rice and steamed veggies.

Roast cauliflower as a side to your usual entrees. Cut into florets. Toss in olive oil and salt to taste. Bake at 450˚F for 25 minutes. SO good!

Make homemade soups and stews. Most have tons of veggies. Some chili recipes are heavy on veggies, too.

My sweet and sour meatballs have veggies/fruit in the balls and in the sauce (celery, green peppers, tomatoes, pineapple), but you already have mostly ground beef in the dishes you listed.

This Mediterranean Tuna-Noodle Casserole is SUPER delish! You'd still need more veg on the side, a salad or maybe some peas would be good. I think I've done asparagus in season. http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...odle-casserole
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

I can't recommend enough http://thescramble.com/ cookbooks. There are two, and they are both great! There is also an online subscription service that for my family has been awesome in this season. The meals are all ready in less than thirty minutes, they are about half vegetarian, half meat, and don't used a lot of processed foods. Plus my kids haven't found a recipe from there they don't like! Really yummy stuff.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
DragonfliiMama
Rose Garden

DragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond repute

So for this week we picked up a bunch of packaged pasta and sauce or rice and sauce dinner type things, and then frozen veggies to add to each of them. I know packaged stuff like that isn't the healthiest thing, but it's better than fast food. I'll have to check out the scramble cookbooks.

~Amii~
INFJ, Type 2/1

Old 10-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
chasingbutterflies
Rose Garden

chasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond repute

subbing. this is a real issue here right now too.

chasingbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasingbutterflies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
mama_2_many

Oh I'm subbing too.. I'm just like you!! HAHA
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
Redeemed
Rose Trellis

Redeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonfliiMama View Post
Convenience food is a HUGE issue for us, especially me. I'm not good at eating healthy, I don't enjoy cooking, and it all feels like just too much work, so I do an awful lot of fast food and even at home a lot of snacky junk foods, meals from a box, etc. Dh likes to cook, is good at it, and is much better at cooking healthy, but still doesn't have a lot of time to do it by the time he gets home from work. Plus we are meat-eaters living in a vegetarian household, so that makes it all the more tempting to eat out.

I need recipes that are:
quick
easy
inexpensive
healthy
heavy on veggies
filling
preferably NOT heavy on beans as a source of protein (we can use frozen chicken/fish patties, eggs, and meat substitutes)

some of our favorites are -
spaghetti
pizza (usually frozen or take out )
homemade mac n cheese bake (but this is more time intensive)
bean casserole with rice, cheese, cream of celery soup, chow mein noodles
cheese"burger" pie
sloppy joes / bbq roast (but i can't do the roast in the crockpot anymore )

I need variety, that's not even a whole week's worth of meals right there and I'm getting tired of doing the same thing all the time. I also need some ideas for side dishes that aren't all starch to round out the meal.
Thanks for posting this. We have the same issues!

Child of God since 07/1982.
Wife to Bryan, my best friend and retired soldier, since 06/2014.

Mom to DD (02/1998), DS1 (08/2006), and DS2 (01/2009).
Two w/Jesus (05/2001) and (12/2004).
Stepmom to DSD (06/2007) and DSS (04/2009).
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redeemed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

Do you like Teriyaki? I make tofu, rice, and frozen mixed veggies, and coleslaw. The leftovers are mixed together with more sauce if needed. Not the coleslaw though. I use the coleslaw in place of lettuce and make wraps with flour tortillas. You can use meat instead. They last 2 or 3 days in the fridge. We eat them cold with sirachi hot sauce. They last longer if you don't dress the coleslaw or do it lightly.

I got the idea after eating at world wraps once. It is so good.

How about dinner salads? Pasta salads are nice too. You can eat them warm for dinner and serve them cold for lunches. I am really into leftovers

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

No, actually. Some of those pre-packaged foods are not better than fast food. Just because you cook something at home doesn't mean it's automatically healthier. A grilled chicken fast-food sub loaded with vegetables and light on the mayo is going to be much healthier for you than a salt- and preservative-laden, ready-to-make meal from a grocery store package.

Frozen veggies get a , though. Vegetables are flash frozen within hours of picking compared to "fresh" vegetables that have had to travel the country (or internationally) to arrive at your table, losing nutrients as time passes.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
DragonfliiMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited Duo View Post
No, actually. Some of those pre-packaged foods are not better than fast food. Just because you cook something at home doesn't mean it's automatically healthier. A grilled chicken fast-food sub loaded with vegetables and light on the mayo is going to be much healthier for you than a salt- and preservative-laden, ready-to-make meal from a grocery store package.

Frozen veggies get a , though. Vegetables are flash frozen within hours of picking compared to "fresh" vegetables that have had to travel the country (or internationally) to arrive at your table, losing nutrients as time passes.

Well it's cheaper, so it's still healthier for my checkbook. And let's be honest, when I'm eating fast food, it's not a "grilled chicken sub loaded with veggies and light on the mayo".

~Amii~
INFJ, Type 2/1

Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
Waterlogged
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

grace is for mamas too

Waterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond repute

Tortilla Soup...
-can of enchilada sauce
-can of black beans (optional)
-frozen corn
-bag of frozen soup veggies
-chicken stock
-can of rotel (diced tomatoes w. gr chilis)
-canned chicken

mix in pot. bring to boil, simmer til veggies are softer. cheese/sour cream as a topping.

bbl

--------------------------------------------------------------------
enchilada casserole

-tortillas
-cheese
-rotel
-black beans (optional)
-canned chicken
-enchilada sauce

layer tortillas, cheese, beans/chicken and sauce. bake at 350 til cooked thru.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Waterlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waterlogged For This Useful Post:
momofmany (10-05-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Biscuit roll outs (or you can make your own with Bisquick). Grease a muffin tin and put one biscuit roll out in each one. Fill up with anything you choose.
Eggs and bacon
tuna and cheddar
ground beef, bbq sauce and a drizzle of honey

Follow the oven directions for the biscuits and you're golden. Easy, fairly inexpensive and filling.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
DragonfliiMama
Rose Garden

Ok, a lot of these look like great recipes when we get back into our own place, but right now, we can't cook with meat. We have a ground "hamburger" that we can substitute for beef, and we can use the frozen chicken nuggets or fish sticks, but no actual chicken, chicken stock or broth, etc.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

oh, those biscuit rollouts - do you make them like a little cup with filling? or do you put dough over the top too so the filling is all contained? sounds like our cheeseburger pie in miniature and diversified. yum!

~Amii~
INFJ, Type 2/1