Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Slow Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 03-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #16
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casseroles and Crock-pot meals

Sweet potato casserole

Ingredients:
3 15 oz. cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c margarine, softened
2 eggs, beaten
1 c milk
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. margarine, melted

Directions:
Mix all the ingredients for the sweet potato mixture and put it in a pan (I used a 9x13).

Mix all the topping ingedients until crumbly. Add flour as necessary to get crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the sweet potato mixture.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes. (I think I baked mine longer because the topping still looked wet in the center. Just keep checking on it after the first 45 minutes.)

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #17
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

Title: Deep dish chicken pot pie

Description:
A very hearty and yummy pie. You can easily add or omit ingredients to your tastes. Warning - this makes a very full (heaping) pie. If you don't like a really full pie, cut back on the ingredients by half (except for the soup - add the full amount).

Ingredients:
1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 deep dish pie crust (will use top and bottom - be sure to get deep dish or your filling won't fit)
2 cups chopped chicken, cooked
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 medium potato, chopped
2 small carrots, chopped
1-1/2 celery stalks
1/2 onion
mushrooms, chopped (didn't measure, put what looks good)
brocolli, chopped (didn't measure, put what looks good)
1 clove garlic
milk
salt and pepper to taste

thyme is a very popular ingredient in pot pies. I personally do not care for the taste of thyme. You can add it if you like, but it tastes great without it.

Directions:
1. Defrost pie crust according to directions

2. Add chicken, soup, peas, corn, and potatoes to a large bowl and mix.

3. Add remaining mixed veggies into pan and sautee until just tender (put a little oil into btm of pan). (You could probably omit this step, but I wanted to ensure that none of my veggies would be crunchy in my pie (yuck) and to let the flavors mix)

4. Add sauteed veggies into chicken mixture and mix well. Add enough milk so that the sauce is neither soupy or pasty. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add thyme if preferred.

5. Add the filling to the pie pan. Cover with the top crust and poke air holes into the crust.

6. Bake at 375 degress for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until crust is cooked and golden brown. If the edges get too dark, you can cover them with foil. I put my pie onto a baking sheet before putting it into the oven to make it easier to get into and out of the oven.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #18
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Title: Vegetable Lasagna

Description:
I am making this for dinner tonight, and it is really, really good!

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup pepper, chopped
1 small zuccinni, chopped
1 8 oz package mushrooms, chopped
3 carrrots, shredded
1 tub of ricotta
1 egg
pinch of salt (it really needs more than a pinch)
chives
2 packages shredded cheese (4 cheese is best)
1 large jar of spaghetti sauce
1 box lasagna noodles

Directions:
Sautee veggies until tender.

Mix ricotta, egg, salt, and chives

Add veggies to ricotta mixture and mix

cook noodles and layer in pan. put ricotta/veggie mixture on lap and cover with cheese. Proceed with more layers.

Bake at 350 about 30 - 40 minutes

Old 03-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #19
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Title: Chicken Shepard's Pie

Description:
Here is my mom's yummy version to the good ol' favorite...

Ingredients:
(This recipe is for about 4)

-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-1 can corn or bag of frozen corn
-1 can of mushroom soup
-5 potatoes, mashed (or use instant potatoes to make meal extra fast)

Directions:
Cut chicken into bite size pieces and brown in skilet with oil. Place in casserole dish and add mushroom soup. Mix together. Add corn and spread to make an even layer. Spread the mashed potatoes on top.

Bake in 350 degree oven until mashed potatoes start to turn golden.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:17 PM   #20
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation
Default Tuna Noodle Casserole

Need:
1 small onion
garlic (I used jarred minced)
2 cans cream of something soup (I've used potato or cheddar)
3-4 cups of frozen corn
2 cans of tuna
Seasonings (whatever you like, I use salt, pepper, dill, oregano, crushed red pepper)
Egg Noodles, I think I use about 8-10 cups

In a saucepan cook up a small onion and some garlic (depends on your family's taste). When they are just browning add the corn, stir, add two cans of cream of potato soup (cream of cheddar works too). Add your seasonings to taste. Then add two cans of drained tuna. Heat through. Mix with hot egg noodles. I like to add some cheese to mine either cheddar, pepper jack, or parm.

It is really easy to make, in the time it took to boil water and cook the egg noodles, it was done. We had plenty of leftovers for the next night. I do believe it tastes less like tuna if you use the cream of cheddar. I'd like to try some celery cooked with the onion and maybe brocolli instead of corn.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:57 AM   #21
Oliveshoots
Rose Garden

Oliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really nice
Default Easy...made it up as I went along; steaks with mushroom soup and noodles

This was SOOOO easy. Steaks. Can of soup. 2 cans of water. Sprinkled with thyme. Easy!

Sunday morning before church (about 7 am) I threw in some sirloin steaks and cream of mushroom with roasted garlic soup, couple cans of water, and set on high for 5 hrs. Then I boiled some whole wheat egg noodles and dumped them in for about 15 minutes on warm. Steamed some veggies...yum!!! oh and I sprinkled some dried thyme over the meat.

It wasn't quite salty enough, so I added some later.

So here's the "recipe" if anyone is interested:

4 sirloin steaks (about 1 inch thick) thawed.
1 can cream mushroom/roasted garlic soup
About 2 cups water (enough to cover meat in bottom of crock pot)
1 tsp dried thyme

Place meat in crock pot, spread soup over meat (could salt and pepper meat first if desired), sprinkle tsp of dried thyme; pour water over until meat is covered. (I know the crock pot recipe book usually says not too much water, but this worked for me, since I was guessing. It also recommends adding dried herbs at the end of the cooking time, but again, this worked great for me. Cook on high for 5 hrs. (Maybe 6, depending on how thick and big your steaks are).

Yummy!

Oh, another add-in....I'm thinking a small container of sour cream would have been nice to add in the last few minutes, or even just stir in while it's still warm. With the noodles, it would be kind of like a stroganoff.

I also made some easy glazed carrots with it....just boiled the baby carrots, drained off the water, added 1/4 stick of butter, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, dash of cinnamon, about 1 tablespoon regular sugar. (Measurements are estimated, I didn't measure, just dumped stuff in.) But they turned out great! Not too sweet, but tasty. ALMOST as good as my mom's carrot souffle, which I couldn't find the recipe for.
Kristen<br />Wife to David<br />Mom to ds (8-17-03) and dd (12-21-04)<br />Jesus is my bail-out. The Holy Spirit is my stimulus package. His blessings of family and friends are my recovery acts. &quot;Those who have been required to memorize the world as it is will never create the world as it might be.&quot; ~Judith Groch
Oliveshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #22
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We love carrot chowder at our house. It doesn't taste like cooked carrots (I hate cooked carrots) but it's full of carrots--very good for you! This recipe says to cook it on the stove but I cook it in my crock pot. 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, some grated chedder, oyster crackers, and Tabasco sauce. YUM!

http://www.dvo.com/recipes_archive/carrot_chowder.html
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #23
mykidsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abinsmom
(Disclaimer: This is a recipe I got from someone on this board about 3 years ago and I can't remember who it was! It is fabulous, and I'm posting it because it is so easy for busy moms, is easily made vegetarian, and is simply delicious!).
-----------------------------------

Tex-Mex Soup (8 servings, 1 ½ cups each)
Just wanted to add- we just tried this recipe yesterday and it was very good. Also, very filling.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:08 AM   #24
Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletyke
Mexican beef stew

1 lb beef stew meat
small onion
1 green pepper
1 can rotel
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can white beans
1 can corn
This sounds good......but I am going to sound like a dolt. What is "rotel"?
Old 05-27-2005, 08:41 AM   #25
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

Rotel tomatoes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A brand of canned chopped tomatoes that include chopped chili peppers or jalapenos.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:54 AM   #26
Cherish

8 can soup!

One pound ground beef, browned and drained

1 can water
1 can corn
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 can vegetable soup
1 can tomato soup
1 can veg-all mixed vegetables
1 can hormel chili with beans
1 can no bean chili

Very cheap. Very yummy. Especially a day or two later when all the flavors have mingled well. Whole wheat sourdough with it is to die for!!
Old 06-14-2005, 05:21 PM   #27
Dizzy Blond

Default Beefy Spanish Rice

We love this one:

INGREDIENTS:
2 cup uncooked rice (I use brown rice)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I often skip this)
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 can of corn
1 can tomato sauce (w/ spices if you like)
1 can of tomato paste
Worchestire sauce to taste
1 cup water (or less)
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste (not necessary)

DIRECTIONS:
Cook rice to done or almost done.
Saute onion and bell pepper and saute for 5 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the ground beef and saute until browned. Drain excess oil and fat.
Add the corn, tomato sauce, worchestire sauce and water & rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:27 AM   #28
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Mac and cheese

1 cup elbow macaroni (I use more like 1/2 - 2/3 a box)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 dash pepper
1 1/4 cups milk
6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
bread

Cook macaroni in unsalted water until tender, but firm.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour and pepper. Add milk all at once. Stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Add cheese. Stir until melted. Stir in cooked macaroni and pour into casserole.

Cut the bread into cubes. Melt enough butter to coat the bread. Toss the bread in the butter. Sprinkle on top of mac and cheese. Top with paprika, if desired (I usually don't, but my family does).

Bake in a 350 oven for 25-30 minutes, or until it is bubbly and the bread is slightly browned.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #29
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Last year, when I discovered that I can't eat wheat, I tried substituting cooked rice for bread cubes in my stuffing for Thanksgiving, and it was really good! This is my attempt to adapt that and make it a complete meal, and do it in a crock pot. Everyone in my family likes it! Even my 9 year-old son who only likes about two meals that I make!

Stuffing Rice

Saute:
1 minced onion
1 stick butter, margarine or oil

Add:
chicken, diced (I used 1 chicken breast)
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Throw in the crockpot with:
1 1/2 cups brown rice
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water

Stir and cook on high 4-5 hours. It takes a LONG time for brown rice to cook in a crock pot.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:43 AM   #30
Nancy

My family loves this recipe.......I fix it up on a day that I work and it's ready for them for supper and if I'm lucky there's a bit left over when I get home from work!

Italian Stew

1 1/2 lbs. beef cubes
2-3 carrots, cut in 1 inch chucks (I just put in a bunch of the baby carrots)
3-4 ribs celery, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 medium onion cut into eighths
14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with Italian spices
1/3 C Minute Tapioca
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T. Italian Seasoning (I use Italian Herb Blend from the Spice House)

Combine all ingredients in slow cookerl Cover. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.