Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #46
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone teach me how to meal plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmommy
Allison, how do you do that though? Meaning, how do you take it from spaghetti to those "fancier" items. Is it a creativity thing? When I think (notice I used the word think there, not make) of making dinner I don't think, "Chicken with alfredo sauce and mushrooms sounds good." It's more, "We need bread, milk, vegs, and chx." But it's very hard for me to get creative with that and take it to the next level.

Am I making sense?

This is a great thread btw. This was never modeled for me and I'd love to learn how to do this so, at a minimum, I can teach my girls one day.
Ok, to go from Spagetti to Cavitini

Switch spaghetti noodles for Rotini noodles (the spirals)
cook by the directions on the box

Use the same jar of sauce

Add turkey pepperoni and browned italian sausage (I use only one link each time I make it, so a package, in the freezer lasts all winter...of course winter is only about 12wks here )

bake it in a casserole dish for about 20min at 350degrees then throw some mozzerella cheese on top and melt it.

Serve.

See, same process you know how to do, the ingredients are just a different shape!

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #47
LittleSweetPeas

Ah, see, my DH would say "Didnt we have pasta last night?"

I'm thinking one of the cardinal rules of meal planning is using the same/similar ingredients to make two dishes. I dont know how to get DH to buy into that one.

I am discovering some recipes that everyone seems to love so making a rotating menu. I'm thinking perhaps I'll make a bit more than usual and use it for lunches the next day instead of leftovers the next night.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #48
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Showing off my meal plan:
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...topic=160613.0

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #49
FaithfilledGranolaChick

subbing to this so I finish reading it all later! I have got to start meal planning!!
Old 12-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #50
anitajoye
Rose Bouquet

Making it through imperfectly...

anitajoye has a spectacular aura aboutanitajoye has a spectacular aura aboutanitajoye has a spectacular aura about

I just wanted to comment about recreating things on the menu and making them different enough.
Last week....
We had baked salmon.
Then, I made creamy salmon and spinach over rice.
Then, I made baked noodles in the leftover sauce with cheese on top. End of Salmon!

This week..
Chili
Chili cheese baked potatoes
maybe freeze the remainder if there is any left (you can only take so many beans --- at least I can only take so much from my husband...)

Old 01-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #51
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Dh and I plan a weekly menu together. He does most of the cooking and I do most of the shopping, so we plan together.

Usually we have some sort of fish on Mondays b/c I shop on the weekends and we want to use it up while it's fresh. For that I buy whatever's on sale and dh will find a recipe online for it.

We do one vegetarian meal a week, too, at least. I have a couple Moosewood cookbooks we use for that and also the old standby of "bow ties and white sauce" with broccoli. (That is dd1's fave meal).

After that we'll fill in the week according to our schedule, using recipes we find interesting, whatever's in the freezer, and/or easily made standbys.

Then I take the list and go shopping. Our menus are posted on the fridge. Dh takes the leftovers for lunch.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #52
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to having a new challange. DH schedule this semester will make dinners a challange Mondays - Wednesdays he will not be home for dinner till late Mondays espically he will have to bring or buy (or maybe its Tuesdays?? I'm still learning it . DD needs to eat around 5pm and honestly because of my meds schedule so do I so I can't wait for him. I'm going to need meals that are low carb for my needs yet child friendly enough (but nutrutional enough) for DD as I refuse to feed her MAC n Cheese for 3 days straight each week. and that will work as decent left overs so DH can use then the following day for his lunch or dinner or will keep long enough so he can have it latter. I'm trying to avoid having to cook 3 meals.

Deanna
Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #53
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

can we do a challenge???

dd will be taking 7 hours of dance
dh is working 40 hours a week
I work evenings opposite his schedule, but from home most nights
we have homeschool stuff, etc.

I really need a *plan* and some bulk cooking. I want to do it; I know how; I need some accountability
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #54
allisonintx
Rose Garden

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

I've never done "bulk cooking" and would love to give it a go. I'm going to be making a grocery list in the morning. I wonder what I could make in bulk? I have an ENORMOUS freezer in my garage, and it's entirely empty.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #55
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

oh yes--a bulk cooking challenge--it's like SAHM Top Chef
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #56
allisonintx
Rose Garden

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

. . . . . . .

Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #57
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

My mom did that "Once a Month Cooking" once. It went pretty smoothly but we just really didn't enjoy the meals. I think the concept would work a lot better if it was a bunch of your own recipes or ones that you were interested in.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #58
Heather R
Rose Trellis

Heather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond repute

Have you guys heard of "The Big Cook" (www.thebigcook.com)? It's a recipe book, with instructions for working with friends to prepare many (like 20-30) meals in one day. The recipes come with amounts for 1, 4, 6, or 8 meals of each dish. I'm going to be doing it for the first time on Feb 7 with my mom and mother in law. I'll report back how it goes... I'm excited to have a freezer full of almost-ready-to-eat food (usually just put in the oven or slowcooker, add rice/pasta, and a side veggie).

Heather
my sweet girl, Faith Olivia (b. October 2004)
my treasure, Bereket Samuel Mekonen
(b. March 2007, adopted from Ethiopia in August 2013)
and my amazing boy, Thomas Aidan (b. April 2007)
Missing 4 I never knew...

And now expecting #4! EDD April 17, 2018

Our Adoption Story
Heather R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #59
Lily
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

I bulk cook once every 3 or 4 months. It takes most of the day, but it's so nice to just pull something out of the freezer for dinner. Usually I do stew, soup or a roast in the crock pot, beans in the pressure cooker, and then 2 to 3 casseroles. Last time, I bulk cooked, I was still working so I made way more than we could eat in 4 months.

Right now, we have chicken enchiladas, beef enchiladas, lasagna, cassoulet, a roast (that daddy smoked for me), spaghetti and meatballs (DH's favorite midnight snack), meatballs (for spaghetti or subs), stew, chicken and rice casserole and beef and bean soup.

I bulk all the casseroles up with extra veggies because I know that if it is coming from the freezer, I probably won't make anything to go with it. I also individually portion out the meals - most of the time it's just me eating dinner.

Some people bulk cook by making 2 casseroles or a double pot of chili once a week and then freezing the extras. I prefer to make a huge mess one day and have it all done. I never know when DH will be home so I hate making a casserole or big meal just for me.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #60
KLin
Rose Garden

KLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond repute

I have been so stressed over food. I am a GF vegetarian, my youngest is GF and my boys and DH all eat meat. I need a main, GF vegetarian food menu that whatever meat can be added to for the guys. My DH and youngest son often eat GF but it is more expensive, however normal and GF is too time intensive and messy. I have a headache thinking of it.
KLin is offline   Reply With Quote