Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute
Default annoying facebook. really.

what do you guys think about those "so and so has answered a question about you, click this link to see what question they answered" applications???

i think they're really annoying! 'cause of course i want to know what my friends answered about me. but did they really answer a question? i'm skeptical.

so i click on a link and i get all these "questions" (like this particularly juvenile one "Do you think that Sarah Hader has a cute butt?" with the answer "no" why would anyone ask OR answer that question on facebook no less?)

there are questions like: "Do you think Sarah Hader parties too much?" - answered "yes" ... and i'm . i don't party in the way that's usually meant. ever.

do i have a funny looking nose? do i smell? evidently, yes? did i vote for obama? someone sure thinks i did! (someone who has never heard me say anything ever, apparently)

unless these are just randomly created because they want me to "spend 50 facebook coins" (whatever that means , and also, no. i won't. ).

but if they're fake, why do i get notifications that X friend of your answered a question!

i don't want anyone asking OR answering about my nose or my booty or anything.

and i won't participate in their games, so i will likely never know if it's real or not. and if it is real, who said what about me. and i'm just narcissistic enough for that to bug me an eensy bit

thank you facebook. you have reached a new level of annoying.

Welcoming all prayers for a sticky duckling this time

At the end of time, I will kiss you all over your face.
duckwithoneleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
inesperada
Rose Garden

Play nice, y'all.

inesperada has disabled reputation
Default Re: annoying facebook. really.

I never, ever, click on anything in which I have to agree to let an app have full access to my profile just to see something. SPAM, whether my friend did it or not.

Wife of mi medianaranja, the tender-hearted servant, whose still waters run deep
Abbott, intensely 10
Hooch, SIX!
Our God is the God of the unexpected. ~Bill Crowder
inesperada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inesperada For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (08-02-2010), Maggirayne (08-07-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

I dislike that application, especially because the only people answering them are kids. Yeah, I'm curious, but don't want to allow that application. I checked it out once; wasn't there a tab at the top where you can see a couple answers? Then you have to answer questions about other people to open up levels so you can see more of the answers about you. Some of the questions were too personal for my taste.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (08-02-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
KatieMae

Just Say No to random apps

It's really easy to "hide" them & never think about it again
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (08-02-2010), inesperada (08-02-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynaminbear View Post
I dislike that application, especially because the only people answering them are kids. Yeah, I'm curious, but don't want to allow that application. I checked it out once; wasn't there a tab at the top where you can see a couple answers? Then you have to answer questions about other people to open up levels so you can see more of the answers about you. Some of the questions were too personal for my taste.
yeah i clicked out of curiosity and it gives you the "teaser" of showing you 21 Q &A's without you allowing permission for anything.

when they ask for permission i panic and close out the whole window i don't want them all up in my grill!!! those Q's were too much in my grill as it is! i never told anyone they could ask my friends tasteless Q's about me!

Welcoming all prayers for a sticky duckling this time

At the end of time, I will kiss you all over your face.
duckwithoneleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Vipers_Princess
Rose Garden

Vipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond repute

I block pretty much anything and everything that comes up out of habit. I just have to be careful about it because I'm a bit spacey sometimes and have mistakenly 'hidden' the friend instead of the app.

Oh & apparently I'm an INTP
Vipers_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vipers_Princess For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

My 11 year old thought that was a great app. Of course, it was asking questions like "do you think soandso is hott?" and "who's the bigger flirt, personA or personB?" and I told her those were very innapropriate subject matter for the people on her friends list, so she deleted them all. Why do kids think that's so cool?

My son's girlfriend was telling me about some site where people can anonymously ask you questions or post comments about you and how mean people are on it, and I totally have no idea why putting your name on a site like that would be appealing to anyone.
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

i know. fb..i wonder sometimes why i even deal with it at all
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
GodChick
Deactivated

RESPECT THE HEARSE.

GodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant future

I think FB is what you make of it. I love it for all of the IRL friends I've reconnected with there -- including one of my dearest childhood friends, who I hadn't seen in years, and recently got to go out to dinner with. Things like that are just priceless to me.

I also suffer from mom-brain -- BIG TIME -- so I subscribed to a bunch of news pages and now at least I know a little something of what's going on in the world, which is more than I knew before.

As for annoying quizes and apps, I just ignore them. They're not worth ruining my positive FB experience of staying in touch with the real people I care about!
GodChick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GodChick For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (08-03-2010), inesperada (08-03-2010), Maggirayne (08-07-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Mama Calidad

Some of them are virus-y. One day I had a notice that a guy from church answered a question about me...whether or not he thought that I was a virgin. You seldom find mothers of three who are. He was mortified...hadn't answered any questions about anyone. He'd gotten one of those notices and opened it and it posted on his friends walls that he'd answered questions about them. Yikes!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
inesperada
Rose Garden

Play nice, y'all.

inesperada has disabled reputation

That's funny, Laura.

I'd venture a guess that the majority of them are virus-y, which is one (of many) reasons I won't touch them. That and I think of fb a lot like Michele does and think that apps like that just....muddy the water.

Wife of mi medianaranja, the tender-hearted servant, whose still waters run deep
Abbott, intensely 10
Hooch, SIX!
Our God is the God of the unexpected. ~Bill Crowder
inesperada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to inesperada For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (08-03-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by inesperada View Post
I never, ever, click on anything in which I have to agree to let an app have full access to my profile just to see something. SPAM, whether my friend did it or not.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMae View Post
Just Say No to random apps

It's really easy to "hide" them & never think about it again
Yep.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (08-03-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

Very annoying.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (08-07-2010)