Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: refusing to wipe herself

I pretty much refuse to go in the bathroom with them once they are 4 or so. I start at about 3 when they call me to come I tell them to try while I'm finishing whatever.

I'd just decide if it really bothered me (it would, it's gross ) and if it did I'd just insist they do it. of course skid marks don't bother me because I don't wash them by hand.

ETA: just saw the update. I have one who insists on wiping for about 10 minutes after she pees. Another who is a pretty normal wiper. Another who thinks that if she just urinates she doesn't have to wipe (and honestly it hasn't mattered becuase I didn't realize she wasn't wiping for about 2 years.) And another who wipes normally, but uses way too much TP (of course she just turned 3, so I don't really worry too much about the 3 extra pieces of paper)

Last edited by MomtoJGJ; 07-03-2012 at 09:43 AM.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
filmgirl2911 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

We just got our 4.5 boy to start wiping. I didn't make it a battle. I did bribe him with Legos. Once he decided the trade off was worth it, he let us know. He's now the proud owner of the fire rescue airplane. Love the Lego bribe! Now I am only dealIng with two little people poo!! lol

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
Proverbs31
Rose Garden

Proverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working on this with ds, who's about that age. I'd definitely provide wipes; it's hard to wipe well with TP. (Ours aren't flushable because I really don't want the scented stuff, so I also have to make a point of reminding him to throw them in the trash can.)

I've taught him to wipe (middle to back, though with boys I suppose that's not nearly as important), then check to see if the wipe comes away clean. If it doesn't, fold over to a clean place and repeat.

When it comes away clean, let me know and I'll come do a "check" wipe. Besides me making sure he's clean so he doesn't get rashy or mess his clothes, this also is kind of a compromise of me "helping" him.

He fusses about it, melts, cries, and says he won't. I stay out of the room and tell him to do his best, then I'll come check. This is working with him (in other words, meltdowns aren't too major, he stays on the potty, and eventually does it)...it really is one of those ymmv things though. I think dd (now 8.5) refused more insistently, but mercifully my memories of that are so hazy that I don't recall details. (Now she just goes through so much TP that she clogs the toilet about twice a week. )

Anyway. At 4.5, if she's really adamant, like ferocious meltdown, I'd probably give it a break and try again in a few months or so. If it's more like what goes on w/ds, I'd keep insisting, probably ask why she doesn't want to too (in case there are any fears or concerns playing into her refusal), make sure she has the tools she need and the process clearly explained.

Last edited by Proverbs31; 07-03-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Proverbs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

I've also played the "would you want to come in and wipe MY butt?" card, but that's for one who's been wiping consistently and for some reason decides to call me in to wipe them. Nope.. ain't gonna happen kiddo.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Since the wiping motion really isn't necessary for the vulva after a pee, I have mine lightly dab or pat the area. Urine isn't going to cause infection, so "mostly dry" is what we shoot for. Showing her that or changing the words to "pat yourself dry!" might break up the opposition a little, and knock out the word she's gotten used to opposing.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
Since the wiping motion really isn't necessary for the vulva after a pee, I have mine lightly dab or pat the area. Urine isn't going to cause infection, so "mostly dry" is what we shoot for. Showing her that or changing the words to "pat yourself dry!" might break up the opposition a little, and knock out the word she's gotten used to opposing.
But a few drops of urine soaking into the undies after every trip to the bathroom does lead to an odor, and can lead to irritation if the area is constantly too damp. (I have a dd who likes to make potty breaks as quick as possible, so Ive dealt w/ the issue. )
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamRose For This Useful Post:
DoulaClara (07-03-2012), filmgirl2911 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
itzj
Rose Trellis

itzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond repute

DD has been doing it consistently since I put cloth wipes in all the bathrooms for her. Her hand always got wet with toilet paper. Now on the occasion that she doesn't want to it's because she doesn't want to wash her hands.

and tiny turtle DS 2012
itzj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itzj For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #23
DoulaClara
Rose Garden

DoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRose View Post
But a few drops of urine soaking into the undies after every trip to the bathroom does lead to an odor, and can lead to irritation if the area is constantly too damp. (I have a dd who likes to make potty breaks as quick as possible, so Ive dealt w/ the issue. )
It's given Weds a rash before. IDK if it's the adhesion stuff or what, but she can really leave drips around if she doesn't wipe properly.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

I helped Timothy wipe (his rear, not his front) until he kicked me out of the bathroom when he was about 6, I think. Summer still needs my help a little bit. I just let them call the shots. When they don't need me in there anymore, they'll let me know.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
filmgirl2911 (07-03-2012), Marsha (07-03-2012)