Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beets!!!

Help! We got beets in our veggie box. Last time I roasted them (savory seasoned not sweet) and 7/7 agreed . What should I try next? Raw is a no-go too.
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beets!!!

When I got a run of beets in a csa box I pickled them ( and mailed them to my grandparents, who loved them, no one in my house wanted any)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
MudPies (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #3
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

My mom always does a sweet and sour dressing-thing with beets - she calls is Harvard beets. But I can't remember if she boils them, or how she cooks them first.

How did you roast them when you made them last time? Whole? Cut up?

My kids scarf up roasted beets, but I have to peel and cut them up, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast until they're caramelized and crispy on the edges, like oven roasted potatoes. It takes a while.

Ina Garten's recipe is pretty good.

You should TOTALLY watch the Beets episode of Good Eats with your kids.
Alton's Glazed Baby Beets are tasty, too. They've got the sweet and sour thing going on.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Yes I peeled and diced them then roasted with salt and pepper and oil.
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I roast them whole in foil (ends cut off), peel then slice and then butter and salt. Yum.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
MudPies (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old time cake recipe somewhere that you make a chocolate cake using beets. It is so moist and good. (I have not tried to changed that recipe over to GF, but it can probably be found on the internet.)

You can also slice them very thinly and make chips............they are crispy and a little sweet.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
MudPies (04-22-2020), Quiteria (04-28-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 05:19 AM   #7
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Beets are such a polarizing vegetable. I LOVE them just diced, seasoned and roasted, but the rest of my family consistently declare that no matter how they are cooked, they taste like dirt.

My fave way is peeled, sliced, and mixed in with a variety of other veggies. Tossed in oil, seasoned with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. And roast.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
MudPies (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I love beets! My favorite way to eat them is made into beet salad, which I learned how to make when we lived in Moldova. I can't find a recipe online so here is how I do it:

Boil (or cook in instant pot) beets until fork tender.
Cool in cold water and then the skins will slide off.
Shred on a grater on the smaller holes.
Mix in a little salt, a few cloves of garlic to taste (we like a lot of garlic), and mayonnaise until it is kind of magenta colored. It should look like this.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
MudPies (04-23-2020), Quiteria (04-28-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

A comment on raw beets: very fresh beets taste nothing like what you get in the store. I know people say that about lots of things, but I really, really mean it with beets. It tastes more cherry-like fresh pulled.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (04-27-2020), Quiteria (04-28-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 06:47 AM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I've heard that too! I need to try some fresh ones. Since I love the store bought ones I imagine I'd LOVE the fresh ones!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
ThreeKids (04-27-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 02:43 AM   #11
Housekat
Rose Garden

Even if you can't see them or hear them at all, a person's a person, no matter how small!

Housekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond repute

I slice them and then ferment them in 2% salt water solution. Do not grate, as they get slimy, but cube or slice. I then eat them with salad or alongside good sourdough bread, cheese and olives as a pickle type condiment.

Find me on Facebook

Housekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:47 AM   #12
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

The way we roasted them was with carrots, parsnips, and maybe a few other root vegetables...potatoes?...drizzled with a glaze that was half apple cider vinegar and half brown sugar.

Anyhow, they tasted great with the sweet and sour glaze that way, and balanced by the more familiar veggies. Well, parsnips weren't familiar either, but those and the beets both made a good contrast against the regular carrots and potatoes, without being overwhelming the way they might be on their own. Probably had a smidge of oil drizzled, too, but I honestly don't recall ANY salt and pepper...just vinegar and brown sugar as a two-ingredient glaze. Definitely no pepper.

It was a Thanksgiving magazine recipe from Real Simple in 2000.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

I think it was this recipe, though we probably skipped the mushrooms. Potatoes might be something we tried adding in later years trying to recreate it.

https://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...ted-vegetables

It comes out a lot different than a salt-and-pepper savory roasting.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #13
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

DH makes beet curry similar to this one except instead of coconut milk he adds ground coconut at the end of cooking. It's a drier curry (really more of a fry) but less messy. Also he skips the cayenne and adds a heaping spoonful of sugar to help the beets get a carmalized taste. But then again, we love roasted beets so this might be too beety for you.

We've had juice here that is a mix of beet-carrot-apple-orange. It is nice and red and quite sweet.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote