Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 02-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Playful parenting isn't always "playful" (about my "off" sense of humor)

Playful parenting hasn't been my strong suit even though I try. BUT somehow w teens I do a lot better cuz they "get me"

What are fun things you've done? I thought of this because of what I did today.

Background: My dd2 has a health problem that requires she drink 2tsp/day of salt in electrolyte water. We use Real Salt as it's so good for you. So. . . she's about to finish up our bulk salt.

I bought a 10# bucket of salt on amazon and I changed our shipping address to her name. I told her I got her a gift on amazon She immediately rolled her eyes and wanted to know if it's a need or want. And she's now trying to figure out what it is. And if I'm practical joking or not cuz she knows me well. I am frugal beyond belief and not a good gift giver.

She will think it's hysterical by the way I couldn't have done this before 10 because she wouldn't have gotten it and would've been hurt. She isn't super into gifts and I'm a horrible gift giver (I try but do not do well at all so I just now ask for gifts). a lot of times they are bracing themselves for my gifts. White elephant and gift cards are much much better for me to do. Plus she's the one that wrapped a penny 25 times for her brother as a christmas gift. What she doesn't know that she learned is that he's the one you CANNOT do this to. SMH. She knows that now but she's just like me so she thought it would be funny.

I admit I have a really dumb sense of humor and so does she. It takes adult perception to know who can handle my white elephant gifts.

So what have you done that only your kids or one of them would think is funny?

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-07-2020), Llee (02-07-2020), Quiteria (02-16-2020), SewingGreenMama (02-07-2020), WanderingJuniper (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playful parenting isn't always "playful" (about my "off" sense of humor)

I also think do playful parenting well with littles. I just forget it exists.

With teens I join with them in making fun of things they don’t like or even instigate making fun of something. Not people, but my dd1 doesn’t like poetry or crafting, so if she doesn’t want to do some schoolwork I will tell her she could write a poem instead, for example, and then she usually will realize it could be worse and do it. I feel like recognizing the stuff they don’t like, even if I do like it, is important.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-07-2020), tempus vernum (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playful parenting isn't always "playful" (about my "off" sense of humor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I also think do playful parenting well with littles. I just forget it exists.

With teens I join with them in making fun of things they don’t like or even instigate making fun of something. Not people, but my dd1 doesn’t like poetry or crafting, so if she doesn’t want to do some schoolwork I will tell her she could write a poem instead, for example, and then she usually will realize it could be worse and do it. I feel like recognizing the stuff they don’t like, even if I do like it, is important.
My husband is really good at the part i bolded . I should be better at it. Excellent point . I know she loves my dumb gifts but I want to do more you’ve got me thinkin

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 02-07-2020 at 02:00 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-07-2020), everybody's mother (02-07-2020), Virginia (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

I pp my high schoolers all.the.time. Dh does that work his grades 7 and 8 kids. It's so effective with the age group.

Even if they do think we're crazy.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-07-2020), MaybeGracie (02-07-2020), rjy9343 (02-15-2020), tempus vernum (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I mess with their food on April Fools Day.

One year I made what looked like fancy mixed drinks in glass cups. It was Jell-o.

Another year I made cupcakes that looked like cheeseburgers and meatloaf/mashed potatoes that looked like cupcakes.

And then there was the blue milk on Percy Jackson't Birthday.

I tell y 6 year old when she doesn't want to take a shower, that, "Fine, I will only put you in head first. NOT feet first! I promise!"
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-07-2020), Llee (02-07-2020), tempus vernum (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely use it with my pre-teen to lighten the mood when he starts to ramp up.

DS1 uses The Good and the Beautiful for English and he doesn't particularly enjoy it, particularly the poetry aspects. We modify some lessons to make it more relevant for him. Yesterday he was to write a short poem for one of the lessons and he started to get a bit intense as we were discussing it. I was open to options but sometimes he gets a bit stuck and isn't really hearing me tell him a compromise is possible. So I handed him a dictionary, told him to look up belligerent, and suggested that he write down the definition for that instead of writing a poem today. He was amused when he looked up the definition, and in addition to writing the definition, he spent the next half hour self-learning about pronunciation keys as well as browsing other definitions just for fun. Works for me.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-07-2020), everybody's mother (02-07-2020), Llee (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeGracie View Post
I definitely use it with my pre-teen to lighten the mood when he starts to ramp up.

DS1 uses The Good and the Beautiful for English and he doesn't particularly enjoy it, particularly the poetry aspects. We modify some lessons to make it more relevant for him. Yesterday he was to write a short poem for one of the lessons and he started to get a bit intense as we were discussing it. I was open to options but sometimes he gets a bit stuck and isn't really hearing me tell him a compromise is possible. So I handed him a dictionary, told him to look up belligerent, and suggested that he write down the definition for that instead of writing a poem today. He was amused when he looked up the definition, and in addition to writing the definition, he spent the next half hour self-learning about pronunciation keys as well as browsing other definitions just for fun. Works for me.
We use TGTB, too. I like it but the kids complain about some of the writing assignments. We are forever negotiating different ones, for example they may be asked to write a persuasive essay about x but they complain so I say write a persuasive essay about whatever you want. Yesterday ds1 was supposed to write a religious poem. I told him he could write something religious or write a poem. He picked the poem, which surprised me, since my 2 older older kids do not like poetry. But we are always negotiating assignments! I like having him look up belligerent.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-07-2020), MaybeGracie (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

When my oldest starts getting whiny and "why, Mama??" I pull out a piratey voice. "Cuz I'm the meanest mum that ever mummed in Mumsville!" She will almost certainly join in, even if it's begrudgingly at first.

When she drives me up the wall, I tell her I'm about to sell her to the zoo. It's a light way for me to let her know she's got to rein things in a bit.

We used to do loads of pretending but as she gets older, she likes planning and making things up. So instead of pretending to be bears cleaning their cave, now we make up what our own theme park would be like. It is ongoing and allows for creativity and joining each other in an imaginary place.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-10-2020), tempus vernum (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
We use TGTB, too. I like it but the kids complain about some of the writing assignments. We are forever negotiating different ones, for example they may be asked to write a persuasive essay about x but they complain so I say write a persuasive essay about whatever you want. Yesterday ds1 was supposed to write a religious poem. I told him he could write something religious or write a poem. He picked the poem, which surprised me, since my 2 older older kids do not like poetry. But we are always negotiating assignments! I like having him look up belligerent.
We do the same thing. You don't have to write about the topic provided, you can choose to write about something else instead, but you do have to learn how to write (endurance, persuasiveness, structure, etc). I think I'd use it again, but yeah, there's a lot of negotiating assignments. I always hear how much kids love TGTB; not mine.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

When DS2 gets grumpy and starts grumbling about how mean I am, I tell him, "Excellent! Mission accomplished. I stayed up late last night thinking of how I could make your day miserable. I've got a whole list. I'm glad it worked already!" He rolls his eyes at me and tells me I did not.

Whenever any of the kids whines about why one particular sibling gets to do something, I shrug and tell them it's because I like that child the most. More eye rolling and telling me that I do not. I wouldn't do it if I thought they'd believe me, and that "favourite child" constantly changes depending on who is being whined about. And then we talk about privileges, responsibilities, asking for what you want, and so on and so forth.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-10-2020), Llee (02-07-2020), tempus vernum (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #10
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

You guys rock. I’m gleaning ideas and also laughing Abt other things we do. We r kinda pranksters. My dd just walked by w a fake bloody nose (stage make up and she’s pretty good at it ) . I use a lot of sarcasm w my kids and they are very aware and able to interpret the sarcasm.

My dd1 bought me a shirt that discusses my sarcasm IIRC it says “sarcastic? Me? Never!!!” and Dh has a shirt that says “warning... sarcasm loading”

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-10-2020), MaybeGracie (02-07-2020), Virginia (02-17-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 04:33 PM   #11
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I give the attitude right back. If I say it's time to pick up and they complain, I join in and am five times as dramatic as they are. (Evidently, dramatic little girls grow into dramatic mothers with a sense of humor). After a few moans and groans, they generally laugh and start chores. I'll also sing get your sleep on and get your shoes on to Missy Elliot's get ur freak on. Generally, I make it up as I go and they are still young enough to think I'm funny.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-16-2020), Llee (02-15-2020)