Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute
Default should i get this laptop?

I don't *need* a laptop, but I'm keeping my eye out for a good deal. I'm taking science classes and it would be nice to have my ebook and notes on the same screen. I currently do most of my work on an 11.5" chrombook, which I love. But it's small and no Windows OS. I have a desktop, but I like to work in my room and there is no room for the desktop in my room. + 3 kids= constant battle over whose turn on tech . This looks like a good deal to me. Not sure what's up with the DVD writer, I could live without that but it's such a good price for all the other features. A little bummed it would cost $40 more for the backlit keyboard because i do a lot of one-handedly in the dark typing as I put kids to bed, but I will just get a small book lamp or something. Also there is a 3 yr all the things warranty for $95, which is refundable if I don't use it.
thoughts?
https://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...olor=jet+black

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should i get this laptop?

Dh used to work for hp so I asked him. He says it is a fantastic price for that laptop and it is a good one. He said it is worth the extra $40 for he full hd screen.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

Is the screen just better resolution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

And thank you. I’m mucking a goat pen so please excuse my brevity

Nevermind- I googled it. I think I will upgrade since I look at a lot of diagrams and photos of organs and fun stuff for school

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Ok I think I’m going to go for it. I feel sick about spending the money but I never spend on myself and have a lot of years of school left...so getting something to make school easier makes practical sense. Gah...I hate spending money on me on things I don’t NEED. Ack

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6

Last edited by passthemanna; 05-23-2020 at 07:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (05-23-2020), knitlove (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

It is always good to get a computer before you are in a crunch and your dies.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Llee (05-24-2020), passthemanna (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
passthemanna
Rose Garden

Default should i get this laptop?

That was my other thought. Class moves fast and tech issues are not a valid excuse for most teachers. I have a desktop with windows but with all the Minecraft mods and whatever who knows if it’ll just crash some day! I want a computer that is mine and no one else touches. I have a lot of school left too, so I ordered it. I just wish I didn’t feel so yucky spending money on myself. I feel so guilty since we still live with my dad (5 1/2 years!) and barely pay rent. I try to do a lot to help him out but never feel like it’s enough.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6

Last edited by passthemanna; 05-23-2020 at 10:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
knitlove (05-23-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 05:25 AM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I have a problem spending money on myself, too. I am getting better as years go on, but it’s hard.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
passthemanna
Rose Garden

I need to tell myself that I deserve it. It's only the past year or 2 that I've started paying someone to cut my hair vs. doing it myself. For years I wore my husband's old clothes or thrift store clothes and wore them down to rags. My husband spends $600 at least 3-4x/year just on nicotine, snacks, etc. I still only buy myself new clothes with gift cards mostly. If I'm remembering correctly, the last thing I bought was my $300 chromebook almost 1 1/2 ago. I did buy some camera gear in the past few years...but I think taking semi-pro quality photos of my kids as often as I like justifies that. Anyway...I'm feeling less bad about it today.

The computer has an estimated ship date of 6/15- classes start 6/1 but I'm working ahead for the first week since the material already opened up. I'm excited! Going from 11.5" screen to 17.3" is going to be wild

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
knitlove (05-24-2020), Llee (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad you bought the computer!

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #9
passthemanna
Rose Garden

The refundable all the things warranty was a major selling point- first off $30/yr is not bad for covering accidents and extending the regular warranty...but I get it refunded if I don’t use it! How cool is that??

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
knitlove (05-24-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #10
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
The refundable all the things warranty was a major selling point- first off $30/yr is not bad for covering accidents and extending the regular warranty...but I get it refunded if I don’t use it! How cool is that??

That's a great warranty!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #11
passthemanna
Rose Garden

Glad I ordered. S knocked my chromebook off the bed and after being a complete brick that wouldn’t power on or charge or anything it’s flashing something about a critical update don’t restart . J says the screen has been flashing white lately and he didn’t say anything because he thought I knew. I use it for hours daily and haven’t seen that but maybe it was dying? I’m kind of bummed for the kids because it’s got a cool pen for drawing. My laptop looks like it won’t get here til mid to late June. Classes start Monday. I’m glad I already panicked about the online tests and figured out how to use my phone for a webcam with the desktop. Just need to make sure the sound works with it too. Speakers don’t work on the desk top screen .

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
The Following User Says they are praying for passthemanna:
Llee (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #12
knitlove
Rose Garden

Oh I am so so glad you already have a computer ordered!

passthemanna (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #13
passthemanna
Rose Garden

Me too! I tried recovering the chromebook by reinstalling the OS but same message.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Old 05-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
knitlove
Rose Garden

When my chrome books died it just died there was not getting anything that hadn't already been backed up off of it.

passthemanna (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #15
passthemanna
Rose Garden

I guess that’s the nice thing about a chromebook- 90+% is on the cloud. I’m in between semesters so nothing important saved on the actual device that I can think of.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
knitlove (05-30-2020)