Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

Breakfast was the hardest for us as well. Especially since I was a cereal addict. I use to always carry cereal around with me no matter where I went. And it was for me, not the kids. It was a hard hard HARD change. We did it overnight, because if I just gradually took things away and added new things, we would have never stuck to it. It really seems unreal that we've been eating this way (GAPS) for eleven months!! And it's so surreal to see my kids walking around the house eating carrots, cucumbers, or bell peppers.

I've learned, that I cannot ever ever cheat. If I do, my whole life goes crazy. And I can't stop myself from eating crap. It's usually m&m's, coke, and Popeye's And when I allow myself to eat those things, I'm moody, can't focus, irresponsible, etc. It's just awful. So no cheats for me. Which is best, but sucks at times.

We still don't really have 'breakfast' foods. It's usually hamburgers, roast, or chicken soup. Although, I have started making smoothies on occasion.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygrl View Post
I'm here. We aren't on any kind of diet but I'm working slowly to add in more whole foods, less processed (we're already pretty lean on it with the exception of things like condiments)...and more veggies. The veggies is the hardest part for me. I like so few and it literally scares me to try new ones. But I know, know, know I need to do more veggies. But, seriously, my stomach is all cranky just thinking about having to try them.
I don't like veggies either. I have texture issues. I added them to my diet by pureeing them, and putting them in soups. After doing that for about 9 months, I was able to just dice the veggies to put in the soup. Still haven't managed to eat just plain veggies, except carrots, like the kids do though.
joysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post:
Allison (05-01-2012), Dovenoir (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I HAVE to buy eat like a dinosaur

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

And I am totally serving broccoli slaw for dinner tomorrow Looked amazing

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
Happygrl
Rose Garden

Happygrl has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysworld View Post
I don't like veggies either. I have texture issues. I added them to my diet by pureeing them, and putting them in soups. After doing that for about 9 months, I was able to just dice the veggies to put in the soup. Still haven't managed to eat just plain veggies, except carrots, like the kids do though.
Texture issues here, too. When I decided to start liking onions, I started with onion powder and then slowly moved up to finely, finely chopped and so on and now I eat them raw on salads, burgers, etc. So I need to figure out ways to do that with some other veggies. Lettuce, celery, carrots, potatoes & onions are about all I eat now. I'd love to like tomatoes, green beans & sweet potatoes, at a minimum. I'll eat crushed tomatoes in sauce & salsa...but I can't get past the texture of larger pieces. Green beans...I hate the inner part. If it was just the outer, I could do it pretty easily, I think.

Wife to Jim 01/08/00
Mama to Elizabeth 10/01/04, Benjamin 01/27/08 and Matthew 04/25/10

Facebook
Happygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my Primal-Paleo Pinterest. I'd love to link w/others.
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mamaka For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (04-30-2012), Allison (05-01-2012), crunchymum (04-30-2012), CrunchySeaSalt (05-14-2012), Daria_Aleksandrovna (05-14-2012), euromom (05-04-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-01-2012), mom2boys (05-06-2012), Punkie (05-01-2012), tinybutterfly (07-12-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

Mine has some non Paelo/Primal recipes on it, but here it is.
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3boysforme For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (04-30-2012), euromom (05-04-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-01-2012), Mamaka (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

My Pinterest boards aren't very large, but here they are:

http://pinterest.com/andreabak/recipes-to-try/

http://pinterest.com/andreabak/recip...ied-and-liked/

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jujubnme For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (04-30-2012), euromom (05-04-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-01-2012), Mamaka (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #22
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
I HAVE to buy eat like a dinosaur

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

And I am totally serving broccoli slaw for dinner tomorrow Looked amazing
It was good! I cheated and just got a bag from tj's.

Here's mine: http://pinterest.com/ladyjenevive/pr...nd-paleo-eats/

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-04-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-01-2012), Mamaka (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

BBL

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #24
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute

DH and I have discussed doing the Whole 30 challenge. I need the sugar detox. I have a feeling DH is sensitive to something (my guess is dairy) dietary that makes him feel yucky and causes skin problems.

Buuuuuut, we haven't done it.

I'm not exactly an adventurous eater...and although I've gotten better, I don't love veggies. And I don't know what to do with the kids. They are pretty good eaters compared to most kids we know their ages, but if I took away bread and beans and cheese...well, we'd be in real trouble. And I don't feel up for the fight.

So, really, I'm here to listen in and get some inspiration to get my rear in gear. I don't anticipate going whole-hog paleo or primal long-term. But I think it would be ideal to move further in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygrl View Post
I'm here. We aren't on any kind of diet but I'm working slowly to add in more whole foods, less processed (we're already pretty lean on it with the exception of things like condiments)...and more veggies. The veggies is the hardest part for me. I like so few and it literally scares me to try new ones. But I know, know, know I need to do more veggies. But, seriously, my stomach is all cranky just thinking about having to try them.
This is pretty much me. And add in the fact that I'm NOT a morning person and I don't really like eggs and my kids want to eat *immediately* upon waking.

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to staceylayne For This Useful Post:
Elora (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #25
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy View Post
... Whole foods without too many grains - even though I know the reasons behind it, I'm uncomfortable with severely restricting any whole foods
Same here.

We're grilling today, and I am unsure if our bbq sauce is gaps friendly, but everything else we are having (except the bread) IS.

I'm taking our Kombucha... I won't say anything and we'll see if my inlaws like our new tea. Unless DH spoils it for me...

I made a stupid mistake yesterday while having a sugar low. I gave TB Mounds. It was one of those "make 'em shut up already!" moments, and I didn't think twice that "That has milk in it..." I was thinking more, make them happy so they stop squabbling about everything and whining because they're hungry and our meal at the Chinese place is going to take an additional 20 minutes.

"He threw up last night", said DH. "But it isn't because he had milk"... funny how he always has excess mucus and throws up when he has milk though..

DH has been cheating on weekends, but that's because I just do not have enough energy to keep on top of him.

I am allowing fruits. We're doing smoothies to help with our immune system + cut down on how much excess DH eats.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #26
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone made their own coconut and almond flour? Is it very difficult? I am looking online and it seems easy.

If I could make my own that would certainly help with expense, and gas too because the only place that sells it local is WF and they are a good 40 miles away.
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3boysforme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #27
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute

Pinterest

My Traditional Foods Board

My dh was eating out with the boys once or twice per week and sometimes was eating breakfast out by himself just a month ago.

I showed them all the "pink slime" to get them away from Burger King/McDonald's. That was a huge accomplishment. But, now dh just pays more for fast food. Now, we eat out at Chic-fil-a and Zaxby's and a local chicken place.

We had a blow up yesterday when I told him that we need not kid ourselves that this slightly more expensive food is good for our bodies. I said that sometimes we get caught unprepared (we travel nearly every weekend for sports) and we have to eat Subway, or chicken, etc, but we shouldn't think that this food is nourishing and won't cause us problems in the long run. It needs to be in our 5-20% of unhealthy stuff.

He just doesn't get that. He thinks eating out once per week is fine. I don't.

I think occasional treats are fine. Eating out once per week is NOT occasional.

Oh, and I struggle with perfectionism. I do NOT want to be the food police, but dh's standards are too lax for me. (Doesn't help that he has not done any research for himself. Im convinced he doesn't truly get it.)

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allison For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-04-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-01-2012), Mamaka (05-01-2012), racheepoo (08-19-2012)
The Following User Says they are praying for Allison:
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #28
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysforme View Post
Has anyone made their own coconut and almond flour? Is it very difficult? I am looking online and it seems easy.

If I could make my own that would certainly help with expense, and gas too because the only place that sells it local is WF and they are a good 40 miles away.
I find almond flour too difficult
**too long and it turns into almond BUTTER
**too short and it has big chunks in it.

I buy almond meal Either through country life or woodmans

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
It was good! I cheated and just got a bag from tj's.
LOL I do not consider broccoli slaw in a bag cheating I buy mine in a bag. Honestly, I tried making it and everyone turned their nose up at it but if I buy it in a bag, especially ds devours it

I bought ELAD - my kids are so excited. Looking at primal blueprint next I am loving the primal cookbooks posted to GCM So many ideas

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Allison (05-01-2012), crunchymum (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #29
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

subbing
<----- bone broth
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
greengirl19 (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #30
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not cutting out any food completely (other than corn for the boys and gluten, which I know we have issues with). We've been moving toward lower carb because we all feel better that way. I may do a dairy-free trial at some point but not planning on it anytime soon. Especially since we changed some of our supplements a month ago and I want to know what changes are from the supplements vs dietary changes.

The boys have been eating a TON of food since we stopped eating gluten two months ago. I'm hoping it eases for a few years before they are teens or we'll be in trouble

We can't afford "good" meat but I buy from a better quality grocery store. The quality difference of the meat is noticeable

I don't buy pork We eat very little shellfish (but enjoyed a crawfish boil recently).

I do still buy some processed foods. Mostly canned chicken for quick meals, frozen potatoes (ditto, plus the quality of the potatoes around here stinks!), and instant grits for DH (he works weird hours).

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LilacPhoenix For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-01-2012)