Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #751
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

My favorite gluten free chicken nugget is fools gold from Eat Like a Dinosaur

Have you tried it - it uses almond flour or meal It is drenched in oil, rolled in almond meal w/spices and then baked but is oily like fried chicken

Now I want some

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
rebecuna (11-02-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #752
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly I don't have that cookbook. Sounds interesting!
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #753
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite chicken nugget recipe is ground chicken that is rolled into balls, dipped in a mixture of almond flour and coconut and seasonings, flattened (gives it that typical misshapen form) and the pan Fried in coconut oil. Yum yum.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Mamaka (10-28-2012), tempus vernum (10-28-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #754
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

(C&P'ed from my blog)
If I needed confirmation that my body does better eating less carbs (grains in particular), I certainly got it yesterday! I ate a (whole grain, lots of fat) high carb lunch, and oh man, did I pay for it! I had terrible brain fog. A stomachache. My gallbladder protested a bit (no real pain, but definite twinges). Ugh! Not doing that again

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #755
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmljll View Post
(C&P'ed from my blog)
If I needed confirmation that my body does better eating less carbs (grains in particular), I certainly got it yesterday! I ate a (whole grain, lots of fat) high carb lunch, and oh man, did I pay for it! I had terrible brain fog. A stomachache. My gallbladder protested a bit (no real pain, but definite twinges). Ugh! Not doing that again
Brain fog ughhhhhh!
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
LilacPhoenix (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #756
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute

I've been meaning to come back to this thread. Sorry if I'm a Debbie Downer.
About a month or so ago we tried to do the Whole 30 again. I got so stressed with the added constraints of DH's allergies that I was getting burnt out and we we're not eating enough. I just could not think or figure out what to make. So I just threw my hands up and made spaghetti. We've , well really *I*, have fallen off the wagon (dh is just on it 'cause I'm there). We've had spaghetti, white potatoes and rice and some cookies from TJ's. I don't know what to do. On one hand I feel like we need to eat, on the other hand I have no energy to eat the way I want to and I feel guilty about it. This week DH has stepped up and on his own came up with meals for 4 days this week. I really appreciate it but on the inside I'm cringing just a little. Sugar in the pulled chicken, sugar in the Udis buns, sugar in the coleslaw (it's confirmed that I don't like coleslaw, even if dh makes it), sugar in the cookies I ate afterwards. I'm not complaining though, I'm just happy for his help.

WRT brain fog, I feel like that is what is holding me back. On Paleo my brain fog was gone. But I need a relatively clear mind to plan Paleo meals. It feels like a circular problem.
/rant
Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #757
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningMama View Post
About a month or so ago we tried to do the Whole 30 again. I got so stressed with the added constraints of DH's allergies that I was getting burnt out and we we're not eating enough. I just could not think or figure out what to make. So I just threw my hands up and made spaghetti. We've , well really *I*, have fallen off the wagon (dh is just on it 'cause I'm there). We've had spaghetti, white potatoes and rice and some cookies from TJ's. I don't know what to do. On one hand I feel like we need to eat, on the other hand I have no energy to eat the way I want to and I feel guilty about it. This week DH has stepped up and on his own came up with meals for 4 days this week. I really appreciate it but on the inside I'm cringing just a little. Sugar in the pulled chicken, sugar in the Udis buns, sugar in the coleslaw (it's confirmed that I don't like coleslaw, even if dh makes it), sugar in the cookies I ate afterwards. I'm not complaining though, I'm just happy for his help.

WRT brain fog, I feel like that is what is holding me back. On Paleo my brain fog was gone. But I need a relatively clear mind to plan Paleo meals. It feels like a circular problem.
/rant
I totally, totally, totally understand. We've been off the wagon for a while now (had spaghetti two days in a row ). I'm just trying to do my best with what I have (and what I know)...it can be very discouraging however.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
LearningMama (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #758
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Celeste I know how I want to eat, but making it happen is an entirely different thing.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
LearningMama (11-06-2012), mommychem (11-06-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #759
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

You guyzzz....I called the bulk food place to ask if they had coconut or almond flour and they had both - so I asked the price. Coconut flour is downright cheap (I think??) I can't really believe it. She said it was 72 cents per 100g. And almond flour was $2.54 per 100g. I expected them both to be around the 1.50 mark.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #760
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. That is really inexpensive coconut flour!!
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #761
Stiina
Rose Garden

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

I know. I'm wondering if it's somehow really crappy/bad for you/rancid or something
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #762
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had any issues with that coconut flour. Just be thankful that it's a good price, b/c almond flour adds up FAST!
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
Stiina (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #763
Stiina
Rose Garden

so you've bought it before?? YAYY!!! TOtally getting some next time I'm in the city. I've Pinterest-ed some coconut flour recipies and was SO disappointed when the tiny bag of coconut flour was $12 at the HFS !!

thanks for that post
Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #764
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Yup! These are my favorite coconut flour pumpkin muffins. They seriously taste like a slice of pumpkin pie.

http://comfybelly.com/2011/10/pumpki...coconut-flour/
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
LearningMama (11-09-2012), Mamaka (11-10-2012), Stiina (11-10-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #765
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningMama View Post

/rant
We fall off the wagon fairly regularly. WIth our crazy life, I've just not found a way to avoid falling off the diet (in the middle of show week right now and have 2 cast members and a director in the family).

However, we are still at about 75% on everything (almost every day my kids get "one meal" "one snack" "one SOMETHING" that isn't on the diet). I just don't quit and keep moving forward. "If at first you don't succeed, try try again"

It is super hard and the brain fog is tough to operate around

What I do is sit down and take an HOUR to do meal planning once a week - mostly fast easy meals so that I can do it on the fly. I plan super carefully with my calendar in my hand.

Here are some fast or low prep grain free meals (we do dairy AKA GAPS)
*tacos (just eliminate the shell and beans)
*spaghetti with zucchini noodles (this is a life saver - noodles in 15 minutes - 5 to spiral and 10 to sautee http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-...etable+juliann)
*meatloaf (I just use tomato paste and nut meal and spices)
*roast chicken and veggies
*tomato soup w/ meat of any sort (take chicken broth and tomato sauce or paste, season with ital seasonings)

I have more but can't think of them. Will dig out my ipod and come back.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
LearningMama (11-11-2012), marigold (11-11-2012)